Lutz Discussion

We already tarnished what Bobby did by firing him. As for Foster, he did a great job but not sure Id call that a turn around, more just a build.

Bobby hadn’t seen the NCAA recently, which was the bar. The firing was fair given our expectations at the time.

After 7 years of playing basketball we had not won more than 14 games any season. I get what you are saying though.

After 2 decades of suck a build is basically what we are looking at.

Either way what Bobby or whoever is walking into after replacing Ron is a mess of a program vs what Melvin turned over. It’s further removed from success than when Jeff took over.

Yes, that i agree with. However, i think you are discounting the fact that Bobby was an important part of the staff that built what you are crediting Melvin for. Ask Jeff how important Bobby was.

Oh I know Bobby was important. He didn’t arrive until after Jeff has righted the ship though. I just think the chances of failure are too high to go that direction.

Damn, for people who don’t want Bobby Lutz mentioned, they sure show up when he is

Apathy is something I could care less aboot

Jeff had “righted the ship” yes, but we were not yet a “regular” postseason participant until Melvin/Bobby took over. I love JM, but M/B took us to another level. We went to NCAA 3 times while Jeff was here from 85-96.

Right but he righted the ship which is what we need now. Bobby came in after that foundation had been laid. He was an important part of success from that point yes. But what we are looking at now is a bigger task than what Jeff did.

Jeff Mullins instituted the Gold Dusters dance team. :grinning:

4 Likes

Im not sure i agree with that, but both were bad situations.

Bobby went to places Jeff could not. Why do they always diss Lutz? Even with back handed compliments. I was for him getting fired, but the entire situation and administration warranted being fired before Bobby. The A10 was untenable. Major was a head case. Price was lazy and only wanted to coach his son. Sanchez is a magician, getting extended to lose. I do agree that giving Bobby a second chance could ruin his legacy should it fail, but a counter argument is Bobby could shut some of his current badgers up.

Give Bobby Lutz a budget to recruit the best assistant coaches and watch him soar. You could definitely say the same about RickyP. I have no faith Hill could replace Sanchez with an unproven assistant coach

My god, some of you just cannot move on from Lutz and it’s frankly sad. Lutz did good things and then he didn’t which got him fired. No retreads; ever.

3 Likes

Lutz last year we won 19 games. If he was given the opportunity to coach another season we would likely have been even better.

Can we get this guy to a new thread Mods? We want this a one sided argument and he hurt my feelings

I’d rather go after chris mack

2 Words about Watkins and his success: Bobby Lutz

Gottfiried, he was a jerk / cheat that unfortunately made other shy away from Lutz because of his few years as his assistant. I give Lutz credit for NC States last sweet run

The best rational for not bringing Bobby back

2 Likes

Both can be true. Bobby was Watkins game planner. Moxley was Bobby’s recruiter.
The difference: nobody is lobbying for Watkins to return. Moxley obviously would not be back with Bobby.

I’m not really a sports fanatic, but isn’t Mack Brown an example of a past coach retread working perfectly? I was a student during the best years of Bobby / Halton, and lord, that was something to cheer about. I can’t even remember how many times I had to camp out for CLT Halton tickets. Sign me back up for that.