Lutz on WFNZ Shortly

Getting ready to be on Penner/Mac for those in the area

How bout a short recap afterwards for those of us who can’t pick it up at work? :wink:

They are now discussing the Charlotte program and why there’s not more demand in the area.

Call in if you want to add something: 704-570-9610. I sent in an email to pennerandmac@wfnz.com. I think that’s correct.

We got a TON of run today on the Penner/Mac show. They’ve been talking about us for the last hour but the majority of it was about us not getting much respect, both locally and nationally.

Penner was focusing mostly on why we’re not on TV more considering how far we’ve come. He said that he feels that even if it’s not cost effective, that we should just forcefeed our product to the public to generate more interest. He felt like the university is going at it backwards by hoping people come out to the games, get interested and then create a demand for TV. He thinks, and I tend to agree, that it should be the other way around. That because we live in a shadow here, that we need to be on TV more so that the casual fan can see the product and then want to come out in person.

Penner also referred to the local paper as the “Tarheel Observer.” Mac countered with “Well, there are more UNC fans here and they are appealing to the masses.” And then Penner said “Well, I understand that but it’s the CHARLOTTE Observer!” Very proud of Penner today…he’s always been a big supporter of our program but today he really drove home a lot of interesting and valid points.

As for the actual interview with Lutz, it wasn’t much. Just the typical breakdown on the game tonight and then the Mitch stuff. Coach sounded like he was in game-mode because he didn’t joke around like he usually does with them and he was short with his answers. This game is very important to him and he knows what a win would mean. He did say that if we win this game, we should be ranked in the top 25.

Still talking about us by the way. Might as well be the “Charlotte 49er Show” as much as they’re talking about us.

Hey Packer, take a note on how to cover the local team and actually have an interesting discussion about it without the jabs.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 12:54 PM [b] As for the actual interview with Lutz, it wasn't much. Just the typical breakdown on the game tonight and then the Mitch stuff. Coach sounded like he was in game-mode because he didn't joke around like he usually does with them and he was short with his answers. This game is very important to him and he knows what a win would mean. He did say that if we win this game, we should be ranked in the top 25. [/b]
jcl, did you miss the part about matchups? Going big early with EDDDDDIE. Mitch unlikely. LEEEMIRE GOLDWIRE!!! I'm ready.
[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Jan 19 2005, 12:57 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Jan 19 2005, 12:57 PM)

now talking about charlotte vs acc teams, and that maybe we are destined to be in the spot where we are now(lack of covearge/respect). and that what we have built will be gone with the move to the A-10.

Bobby also said there was an outside shot Mitch could play tonight.

[b]Might as well be the "Charlotte 49er Show" as much as they're talking about us.[/b]

i think it really has turned into the Charlotte 49ers show today.

[i]Originally posted by kbr49er[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 01:02 PM [b]
[b]Might as well be the "Charlotte 49er Show" as much as they're talking about us.[/b]

i think it really has turned into the Charlotte 49ers show today. [/b]

Is anyone calling? I can’t hear it now.

Finally a local media guy gets it. I love the idea of forcing the tv games down the city’s throats. Czaban used to be that way too. Hate that I can’t pick up the show from work. I felt the MSP coverage this morning was a little weak. They usually do a pretty good job. They talked with Bilas more about IU and Miami basketball.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 12:54 PM [b] Penner was focusing mostly on why we're not on TV more considering how far we've come. He said that he feels that even if it's not cost effective, that we should just forcefeed our product to the public to generate more interest. He felt like the university is going at it backwards by hoping people come out to the games, get interested and then create a demand for TV. He thinks, and I tend to agree, that it should be the other way around. That because we live in a shadow here, that we need to be on TV more so that the casual fan can see the product and then want to come out in person.

[/b]

hello. this is what I have been saying about our athletic department!!!

Hey Lefty. You have officially been declared the King Of The Obvious. Thanks for the Eddie Will Start reset. Next thing you’re going to tell us is that All In The Family is cancelled.

[i]Originally posted by franchise49er[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 01:11 PM [b] Hey Lefty. You have officially been declared the King Of The Obvious. Thanks for the Eddie Will Start reset. Next thing you're going to tell us is that All In The Family is cancelled. [/b]
Eddie will start at the point...in case you didn't get it.

Lefty. Of course he’s starting at point. This is already been stated. Maybe YOU don’t get it. Enough with resets of information which has already been given out.

[i]Originally posted by franchise49er[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 01:17 PM [b] Lefty. Of course he's starting at point. This is already been stated. Maybe YOU don't get it. Enough with resets of information which has already been given out. [/b]
Just in...Eddie basden will start at the point. Mitch is petitioning to play but unlikely. Lutz says it's cold in Cinci and Bob Huggins says hello to everyone back in Charlotte. :rolleyes:

lefty, still waiting on you and mr. aberlour to chastize Penner for saying we are going about things wrong from a promotional end. Be consistent, if you are going to take me to task, take Penner too, for mirroring exactly the things I have said.

[i]Originally posted by metro[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 01:39 PM [b] lefty, still waiting on you and mr. aberlour to chastize Penner for saying we are going about things wrong from a promotional end. Be consistent, if you are going to take me to task, take Penner too, for mirroring exactly the things I have said. [/b]

My question is where is the money going to come from?

I’m duking it out with Penner via email. I’ll let you know the result. :smiley: He says he has visited over here. Also that Jags may get a major league baseball gig soon.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Jan 19 2005, 01:45 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Jan 19 2005, 01:45 PM)