Lutz talk from last night thread

That the stands were so empty that this soap opera even played out. Pack the arena and one jerk doesn’t get heard. Lutz sounds like he’s lost it though. Be a little professional and ignore the idiot.

There are quite a few tarho worshippers on this board. They’re very passionate about seeing us lose. They love to get out of the woodwork after every bad game. And, flap their pie holes about every little things they could find. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of those baby diaper blue showed up at the game last night.

See that one guy who was the only person screaming when Curt was taking his first freethrows? He was sitting in the section to the right of 104, and when everyone started looking at him, I think his wife talked him into stopping or something. I wonder if the glares scared them into stopping :wink:

I think this was PI

Jesus, that takes some onions to show your ass like that, right behind the bench. I think there may be a few screws loose in this guys head.

We have all taken issue with caoch this season, I know I have (trying to avoid a rant on the Richmond T’s…grrr)… But for the love of God act like an adult in public.

There will always be at least one screaming jerk in a crowd of a thousand. The coach shouldn’t be the second one.

There will always be at least one screaming jerk in a crowd of a thousand. The coach shouldn't be the second one.

AMEN!

There will always be at least one screaming jerk in a crowd of a thousand. The coach shouldn't be the second one.

It almost sounds like you are justifying that guys actions.

If he was wearing a Duke cap would you feel the same way?

[QUOTE=gamer;162107]There will always be at least one screaming jerk in a crowd of a thousand. The coach shouldn’t be the second one.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Which hat were you wearing last night?

[QUOTE=49erFan1;162211]It almost sounds like you are justifying that guys actions.

If he was wearing a Duke cap would you feel the same way?[/QUOTE]
It doesn’t sound to me like he was justifying it, just stating the truth. You’re always going to have people upset with things coaches do (Duke may be the only exception because everyone there is infatuated with him). The coach is a professional and should never turn around and address a fan. His attention should be solely on the game. If it finally gets to a point where it is distracting, then the coach should ask an assitant or someone else to have someone remove the fan.

A few points: I saw Wissell snap at that fan in the Belk Gym. He was just a few feet from the coach and was very embarrassed when Wissell snapped at him. I felt embarrassed for both of them. …What the fan said wasnt that big of a deal but Wissell was very frustrated. I think his cards did distract players. I think there is a time to coach and a time to let players play. Its obvious when they are watching the bench for directions too much (no matter who is coaching). I can see freshman players watching the bench but I think a senior should be able to run the team / with minimal input from the bench. The player need to concentrate and keep down turnovers.
Personally I think coach Lutz is one of the best in the nation. I am sure hes frustrated and perhaps this has not been his best year (so far), but hes a class act in all areas of coaching…on and off the court. He deserves the respect of the administration and the fans. Seems to me he has it for the most part. If someone is distracting him from his job (at a home games at Halton especially) I think security should get involved and get the situation in order. Any one constantly yelling at our coach is not a fan…they are a frustrated person bringing something to Halton Arena. They may want to consider wrestling in the WWA or boxing. It may be a good idea to beef up security behind the bench.
I know I have become spoiled as a fan with the work coach Lutz has done. His focus is on excellence and winning. I still think his character and coaching abilities are in the upper levels of coaching. I hope we can keep him for many years to come. He has the ability and the passion for the game and for Charlotte. Coach Lutz is a winner!

A few points: I saw Wissell snap at that fan in the Belk Gym. He was just a few feet from the coach and was very embarrassed when Wissell snapped at him. I felt embarrassed for both of them. ...What the fan said wasnt that big of a deal but Wissell was very frustrated. I think his cards did distract players. I think there is a time to coach and a time to let players play. Its obvious when they are watching the bench for directions too much (no matter who is coaching). I can see freshman players watching the bench but I think a senior should be able to run the team / with minimal input from the bench. The player need to concentrate and keep down turnovers. Personally I think coach Lutz is one of the best in the nation. I am sure hes frustrated and perhaps this has not been his best year (so far), but hes a class act in all areas of coaching...on and off the court. He deserves the respect of the administration and the fans. Seems to me he has it for the most part. If someone is distracting him from his job (at a home games at Halton especially) I think security should get involved and get the situation in order. Any one constantly yelling at our coach is not a fan...they are a frustrated person bringing something to Halton Arena. They may want to consider wrestling in the WWA or boxing. It may be a good idea to beef up security behind the bench. [B]I know I have become spoiled as a fan with the work coach Lutz has done.[/B] His focus is on excellence and winning. I still think his character and coaching abilities are in the upper levels of coaching. I hope we can keep him for many years to come. He has the ability and the passion for the game and for Charlotte. Coach Lutz is a winner!
You just called Charlotte fans SPOILED??? Spoiled from what??? First-round NCAA Tourney defeats??? I'm confused..

:confused: :confused:

Hey gotLutz … yea spoiled. We had some very lean years in the past. I guess its possible to have a tourneyment team every year …but as I look at the banners in Halton it seems we have had a lot of success under Lutz. Some universities would die for our record. I guess its all a matter of perspective. I think our best years are ahead still ahead of us. I want to see Charlotte as a top 10 team as much as anyone. Its really easy to sit and second guess what goes wrong in a year …but ending up in second place in a new conference …and in the NIT is pretty darn good in my opinion.

I have read through this post for the last day and it seem very funny how all of our fans react to Lutz. When we lose, he is awful. When we win, he is great. It is real funny how no one can decide if he is a great coach or a horrible coach. Some people think he has so much class and some people think he has no class. I understand that the people on this board are Charlotte fans, I am too. I am a Senior and have not missed a game in 4 years. However, it is amazing to me how little basketball knowledge or people knowledge the people on this board has. It is a bandwagon board and it is pathetic.

Let me once again state that I am one of the biggest supporters of our men’s team and go even though it drives me absolute nuts to watch them play some nights. OK, here goes the rant…

Bobby Lutz does not need to be coaching at this university next year. What he has done in the past is in the past and to be honest with you I have not seen one year that he has been here in which we have overachieved. This is one of the most underachieving basketball teams that the school has ever had and it stops at the top. Lutz is a complete sideshow and has no control over his players whatsoever. People say he is a classy guy. Maybe off the court, but on the court he is one of the most obnoxious coaches I have ever seen. This is not only toward the officials but the team as well.

First of all, a coach does not yell at a fan in the crowd especially for the comment, “What are you doing Bobby?”. Students pay tuition to this University and are allowed to say whatever they like as long as the comment is not inappropriate. Coaches, and business men for that matter, here far worse things in there job than that comment. His job is to coach the basketball team, not argue with fans. His job is to coach the basketball team, not yell at referees. People hate our inbounds play where we throw a football pass all the way down the court. There is no way he can draw up an inbounds play coming out of the timeout because he spends the whole time chastising the referees. He had the perfect opportunity to make the “classy” move last night and put his Seniors in after the last official timeout and take them out one at a time to get an ovation. Does he do this? No, he is too worried about shuffling in everyone else. He had a lot of “class” when he pulled Jerrell earlier in the season for being aggressive. Also, in the game when Curtis had 20 points and 20 rebounds with the game well in hand he had several opportunities to get a substitute in to get him a well deserved round of applause. Did he do this? Yea, his assistant had to tell him to with 1.7 seconds left in the game. Surprise, surprise Bobby was yelling at the referees when the game was over.

He has probably tried his best in coaching the team but he is no longer the best coach for this University. With his antics and constant sideshows, we will never be better than a bubble team or a first round out, plain and simple.

I have read through this post for the last day and it seem very funny how all of our fans react to Lutz. When we lose, he is awful. When we win, he is great. It is real funny how no one can decide if he is a great coach or a horrible coach. Some people think he has so much class and some people think he has no class. I understand that the people on this board are Charlotte fans, I am too. I am a Senior and have not missed a game in 4 years. However, it is amazing to me how little basketball knowledge or people knowledge the people on this board has. It is a bandwagon board and it is pathetic.

Let me once again state that I am one of the biggest supporters of our men’s team and go even though it drives me absolute nuts to watch them play some nights. OK, here goes the rant…

Bobby Lutz does not need to be coaching at this university next year. What he has done in the past is in the past and to be honest with you I have not seen one year that he has been here in which we have overachieved. This is one of the most underachieving basketball teams that the school has ever had and it stops at the top. Lutz is a complete sideshow and has no control over his players whatsoever. People say he is a classy guy. Maybe off the court, but on the court he is one of the most obnoxious coaches I have ever seen. This is not only toward the officials but the team as well.

First of all, a coach does not yell at a fan in the crowd especially for the comment, “What are you doing Bobby?”. Students pay tuition to this University and are allowed to say whatever they like as long as the comment is not inappropriate. Coaches, and business men for that matter, here far worse things in there job than that comment. His job is to coach the basketball team, not argue with fans. His job is to coach the basketball team, not yell at referees. People hate our inbounds play where we throw a football pass all the way down the court. There is no way he can draw up an inbounds play coming out of the timeout because he spends the whole time chastising the referees. He had the perfect opportunity to make the “classy” move last night and put his Seniors in after the last official timeout and take them out one at a time to get an ovation. Does he do this? No, he is too worried about shuffling in everyone else. He had a lot of “class” when he pulled Jerrell earlier in the season for being aggressive. Also, in the game when Curtis had 20 points and 20 rebounds with the game well in hand he had several opportunities to get a substitute in to get him a well deserved round of applause. Did he do this? Yea, his assistant had to tell him to with 1.7 seconds left in the game. Surprise, surprise Bobby was yelling at the referees when the game was over.

He has probably tried his best in coaching the team but he is no longer the best coach for this University. With his antics and constant sideshows, we will never be better than a bubble team or a first round out, plain and simple.

I’m going to take issue with your comments. First of all there are many posters here who have knowledge of the basketball program, the administration and former atheletes from other sports as well as people who at one time or other were connected with athletics at UNCC.

Second this is not a bandwagon board. We have some who don’t like Lutz’s style, we have others who think he’s a great coach, we have others who are moderate.

Third was your assessment of us underachieving. Underachievement is what Tennessee did during Buzz Peterson. Right now Charlotte is winning basketball games consistently. Bobby took borderline top 100 recruits like Eddie Basden and Curt Withers and helped developed them into NBA products. He managed to score D’Angelo Alexander, Carlos Williams for next year and the Coup of them all Michael Beasley. If you get rid of Bobby now, you’ll probably lose all 3 of them. Then you’ll cry about how short sighted the decision was when we lose 20 games.

Fourth Bobby is a professional. He does his job and does it well. He’s never physcially assaulted a referee, never assaulted a player, never publicly criticized a player nor their familys, he accepts blame when we loses and doesn’t point fingers. Are their some things that he doesn’t handle well? Sure. However he didn’t spend much time as an assistant. He coaches his way and in some respects it is good to see a guy with his passion for the game.

Do I think Bobby Lutz is a great coach? No. Do I think he’s one of the top 25 coaches in America? No. But he’s definitely in the top 50 IMO. I am content to give Bobby time to grow. He’s still by all means a very young coach. He’s got his best years as a coach ahead of him. It would be foolish to fire him, pay out his salary for 2 years, lose our stellar recruiting class and gamble on hiring a new coach when we have a solid coach who wins games.

[QUOTE=R49er;162238]Hey gotLutz … yea spoiled. We had some very lean years in the past. I guess its possible to have a tourneyment team every year …but as I look at the banners in Halton it seems we have had a lot of success under Lutz. Some universities would die for our record. I guess its all a matter of perspective. I think our best years are ahead still ahead of us. I want to see Charlotte as a top 10 team as much as anyone. Its really easy to sit and second guess what goes wrong in a year …but ending up in second place in a new conference …and in the NIT is pretty darn good in my opinion.[/QUOTE]
WRONG, WRONG AND WRONG! THE NIT IS NOT PRETTY DARN GOOD. IT SUCKS, SUCKS AND SUCKS. WE ARE BETTER THAN #66 IN THE NATION FROM A PROGRAM STANDPOINT.

AND YES, I KNOW MY CAPS LOCK IS ON!

If you take out all the automatic bids, NIT means you are roughly in the top 40-50.

He also cares about the kids and for the most part, they graduate. Sure there are some guys who feel like they’ve been treated unfairly. That’s the way it is. Everyone thinks they deserve the minutes. You have to win and do it the right way. It’s a difficult job with a ton of pressure.

I think he’s an average coach,at best,which is probably the best we can expect under Judy.I think he(or Delonte) is a good recruiter,a lousy motivator and a terrible x’s and o’s coach.I believe with the talent we’ve had this year we should have won at least 20 games and gotten to the NCAA’S.I have never seen us play good team defense(I think Eddie was an excellent individual defensive player). I have also never seen a team that seems less organized after timeouts and attempting “set plays”. I think he has made some terrible personnel decisions(See Mitchell fiasco this year),but not just Mitch.I think what we saw(or at least I did) from dumptruck last night would have been much more common if Lutz had played him significantly this year,instead of about 16 mins. a game.And please,don’t give me the "he gets tired after 5 mins. because I think thats crap!) The guy plays hard every second,is an excellent passer and can rebound and actually box out.I love the 9ers,and go to virtually every home game,so you can call me a “hater” all you want,those of you who want to criticize anyone who doesn’t speak glowingly of the coach,or the team…go ahead.Those are just some of the reasons that I think we could do better than Bobby,maybe i’m just one of those guys that is shooting too high,not being satisfied with falling apart at the end of the last 2 seasons,and also losing to some REALLY crappy teams.

Okay, I’m going to take a beating here but so be it.

We had a bad year period. Lutz is still a good coach for this program. He made mistakes this year that most of us could see. Namely, we needed a different guy running the team. But you have to understand, Lutz is a Mensa-smart dude. Most of those guys are smart to a fault, they can’t admit, even to themselves that they may be wrong.

He is still a GOOD coach. I’m not so sure that he didn’t look up at the beginning of the season and say “Oh shit”, this ain’t good. I think he has recruited players with better B-ball IQ (at least I hope so) for the next few years.

Also, I’m not so sure he didn’t think he was headed for UT.

We will be better next year. He’ll see to it.

He’s a good man. He’s good for the program, and the Niner community will follow him to hell and back in a couple of years when we have a special -type year. I think it’s coming. Recruiting-wise, I think we’re on-track for some really good things, Beasley or not.

I will say this, he needs to better his relationship with the officials. They view him now as nothing but a whiner.