Lutz to S. Alabama???

[QUOTE=ninerID;231274]Coach Kā€™s name didnā€™t pop up one time during this years merry go round of coaches. It wouldnā€™t mean that Dukes program had fallen, it would mean that Judy Rose spent too much on the phone bill.[/QUOTE]

My point isā€¦just because some AD is bat-shit crazy and decides to call for a coach who is out of his/her leagueā€¦that doesnt mean that the program they are calling is taking a hitā€¦just means that AD is bat-shit crazy!

Sounds like Cliff Ellis is trying to get his buddy Bobby a raise/extension.

I do wonder if Judy laughed when she said yes.

[QUOTE=run49er;231276]

Thad Mattaā€¦Xavier to Ohio State.

Pete Gillenā€¦Xavier to UVa.

Skip Prosserā€¦Xavier to Wake Forest.

[/QUOTE]

Can we just hie the X folks to lead our next coaching searchā€¦ whenever that is. They know how to find quality guys, assuming Prosser works out.

This to me shows me something is up in our Athletic Department. Maybe they hit a snag in negotiations?

Maybe Lutz needs to get out of his current situation?

Maybe Lutz thinks he can get a better job from doing well at S. Alabama, then the mess he has been a part in creating here at Charlotte?

Stay tunedā€¦

I think they asked for the wrong Bobby. We have 5 or 6 of them on staff, they probably just got confused.

Base salaries are low for all in-state coaches. It's the booster money, endorsements, camp money, TV, radio (all guaranteed) that gets them up in the million dollar range, at least at NCSU and UNC CH where the financial support is tremendous.

South Alabama boasts that their high with all monies counted is $375K (EDIT: $300K)? I would say AT WORST the pay would be the same. I still bet, though, the total compensation package is better here.

Notwithstanding, though, does everyone agree it would be even tougher to recruit in South Alabama? Assistant Coaches would be tougher to collect? The quantity of followers of the program being actually less than Charlotte? Who has even heard of the University? How many posters here were familiar with their program over the last 15 years?

Nothing makes sense, unless there is an internal situation here or he is looking to retire to a program with low expectations on the court (so he can relax). Is Lutzā€™ daughter going to University of Alabama or LSU?

I know state pay itself is low, but in totality I donā€™t understand the move.

and you're looking at pr0nstars whilst fwapping away. Neither of you have a chance to land them.

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!!!:lmao:

The list of candidates for S. Alabama job, would not be much different than our list of candidates. With our only saving piece, is that we have a good list of former Asst. coaches that would be qualified for our job and somewhat loyal to it if they have some success.

of course this could be a nice way to say your firedā€¦ like herb at nc state

Well, they have asked & recā€™d permission to talk with himā€¦so this is a legitimate story.

However, the motivations behind it are suspicious.

It could easily just be a favor to Cliff Ellis, talking doesnā€™t imply any form of commitmentā€¦or maybe he (Lutz) really is frustrated here.

If Lutz does bolt (I donā€™t expect it, but stranger things have happened this offseason), Mrs. Rose & company are gonna have a lot of damage control to do.

I have a lot of issues with some of the results of the Lutz era, however, NOW is not the time to ā€œstart overā€ for next season.

[QUOTE=finalfourtyniners;231307]of course this could be a nice way to say your firedā€¦ like herb at nc state[/QUOTE]
Except Herb went from power conference to power conference. Bobby would be going from mid-major to what some would probably classify as low-major.

Except Herb went from power conference to power conference. Bobby would be going from mid-major to what most would definitely classify as low.

Fixed.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;231309]Except Herb went from power conference to power conference. Bobby would be going from mid-major to what some would probably classify as low-major.[/QUOTE]

The way things are going these days, I would say that there are ā€œpower conferencesā€ and ā€œeveryone elseā€.

Lutz MIGHT see this as a quicker way to get to a power conferenceā€¦that is, if he could fall into the right opportunity.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;231312]The way things are going these days, I would say that there are ā€œpower conferencesā€ and ā€œeveryone elseā€.

Lutz MIGHT see this as a quicker way to get to a power conferenceā€¦that is, if he could fall into the right opportunity.[/QUOTE]
The Matt Doherty routeā€¦ power conference to low-major to mid-major. Could work. Lutz is getting older, though; if heā€™s going to make his move into the big time, he better get crackinā€™. These BCS schools are hiring young guys (Pelphrey, Gillispie, etc).

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;231315] he better get crackinā€™. (Pelphrey, Gillispie, etc).[/QUOTE]

Yeppers, and that means you have to look at jobs likeā€¦South Alabama.

Iā€™m willing to bet that he would list it on his resume as the ā€œUSA Menā€™s Basketball Coachā€.

Iā€™m not too suspicious and Iā€™m not too worried about it either.

Looking at it from the perspective of U of South Alabama - the team just recovered from a mediocre stretch to make it to the postseason 2 years in a row (NCAAs last year, they lost close to Syracuse in the NIT this year). If I was their AD, I think Iā€™d set my sights on a coach that would maintain a sense of legitimacy to the basketball program.

Iā€™m not really looking down my nose at the school (especially with Charlotteā€™s recent performance), but I still think the cons outweigh the pros for Bobby to take the position. Iā€™m not insulted at all that they would choose to interview our coach.

Go Bobby!!! And take Judy with you!!!

Go Bobby!!! And take Judy with you!!!

why donā€™t you go too?

[QUOTE=the daxified one;231319]why donā€™t you go too?[/QUOTE]
Oh come onā€¦ I donā€™t like Mineshaftā€™s signature that much, which weā€™ve discussed, but I wouldnā€™t wish a one-way trip to Mobile on anyone.

Oh come on.... I don't like Mineshaft's signature that much, which we've discussed, but I wouldn't wish a one-way trip to Mobile on anyone.

however your signature is one for the ages