Lutz's response?

I am trying to stay optimistic, but some things simply canā€™t be hidden.

1. The game we won against Pheiffer - We did not look good. No flow to the offense and poor shooting.

2. We got beat by a Princeton style offense.

3. We got beat by a run-gun style offense.

4. And once again - most importantly, we are a poor jump shooting team.

I hope Bennet can fill a big void.

I have watched the good and bad of Lutz since Melving left. I still like the guy, but can someone ask Lutz one, some or all of these questions for me?[/QUOTE]

Iā€™ll take a stab at it, even though I think a lot of these are rhetorical questions. You might not like the answers, though.

[QUOTE=MeanJoeGreen;139911][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=2]* Why do we call Withers a low post player when he is encouraged by his coach to shoot 3ā€™s?[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Actually, last season I read somewhere where Withers was called a ā€œpoint forwardā€. He actually has shown some passing ability (Remember that last second shot by Plavich against Indiana? He caught the picture-perfect pass from Withers) but the abilities that help the team most are down low. Iā€™m baffled beyond words by his performance last game. Stay Tuned.

[QUOTE=MeanJoeGreen;139911][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=2]* How can we have the best low post player in the state and an unknown grabs 20 rebounds and 8 blocked shots? Are players out of position? Or is he at the top of the key setting up for a 3?[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

The game before that, we got killed by another big forward - Vukusik. The game against Coppin State, I believe their biggest forward made the biggest impact of the game for them. I think his name was Darryl Proctor. Of course, Coppin State sucks and that guy at 6ā€™4" is considered their biggest forward.

Weā€™ll be facing more unknowns down low when we play Miss. State. Iā€™m VERY interested to see what will happen. The big players Mississippi State has are pretty much all new and unproven, but desperate to prove they can play.

[QUOTE=MeanJoeGreen;139911][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=2]* MC_:confused: When someone is like 0-7shooting 3ā€™s during any stretch of the game, at what point should the coach say to the player drive and pass or shoot the gadamn 2? a)4, b)6, c)7, d) 23?[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Early on in yesterdayā€™s game, after the team missed 6 three pointers and was in danger of losing control of the game, I thought ā€œYā€™know - maybe we should just try to play inside the arc a little. Surely we donā€™t have to play desperate against Wyoming!ā€ Before I knew it, we were 1-17 for threes.

[QUOTE=MeanJoeGreen;139911][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=2]* Is making four 3ā€™s better than making 8 shots inside the paint? [/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Do you have a resume? Head coaching experience? Put me down as a reference.

[QUOTE=MeanJoeGreen;139911][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=2]*Ater trailing by 20 in the second half, you are only down by 5 with less than 4 minutes to playā€¦?[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

You trailed off there at the end, MeanJoe. I guess you had to go punch something (or someone) out of frustration just like the rest of us.

Iā€™ll sum it up like this - and I hope GMadness and Ninerwood are reading this.

We did not lose to Wyoming because we are worse than Wyoming or less talented. We did not lose the game to Wyoming because of a bad call by the referees or because of experimental rules or because Wyoming had more experience. We lost because we took bad shots and played no defense.

Iā€™m mad and angry and sad as a Niner fan. I believed that we would be a bit shaky to start the season as we adjusted into a low-post team to suit the players we have this year. But we didnā€™t even try. Allowing the team to play like bad-imitation Plavichs is not the answer.

Iā€™ve probably ripped Bobby as hard or harder than anyone else on this board in the last two days. Frankly, I found his performance as coach to be unacceptable. Will I be praising him in March? I sure as hell hope so. Heā€™s a fiery coach and he cares about the players off the court. He makes sure his players get to their classes on time and can motivate people to challenge themselves. Heā€™s also a proud alumnus.

His grade for the BCA tournament? F. Until Lutz scraps his current game plan, we wonā€™t see 20 wins this year. Tell you what: write my name down as a guy who whined about the coaching. If we win another 19 games this year by taking 25 or more three point attempts and playing no defense, then I will happily admit I was wrong to question the logic behind our current coaching philosophy.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;139935]Nope, that wasnā€™t me but Gmadness and Ninerwood make a lot of sense. I hope our team doesnā€™t quit like many of our fans.[/QUOTE]

The way I see itā€¦our team has already quit on at least 3 occassions.

• 2nd Half vs Coppin ST (cruised to a W without any urgency to stretch a lead)
  • ENTIRE game vs NW (Iā€™ve NEVER seen a team quit like that)
  • 1st half vs Wyoming (apparently pouting from loss vs NW)

Fanbase will reflect the persona of the team. They have quit on the floorā€¦thatā€™s why the fans are quitting on them.

Sad but true.

[QUOTE=Ninerwood;139932]In November, you are either with us or against us. Will real niner fans at least wait until March to start the *itching and moaning. I want to win them all every year but it hardly ever happens at any university and will never happen in Charlotte. Letā€™s give our team some positive karma to get through December and in to conference play. Please![/QUOTE]

Ninerwood, please, please, do not let us go down that road as to what is a real niner fan. Trust me, one can be a true, blue blood, AKC, niner fan and be very concerned about the direction of our team in the last seven games. I rarely post of the message board, does that mean I am not a true niner fan? Yesterday, I did not agree with everyone who posted, but not once did I question their love for our team and our program.

Ninerwood, with that said, I am with you that now is the time to start thinking how we can support our team for next Wednesday. My fellow Niners, we can not change what happened Monday or Tuesday. Its over. Will Bobby still have the team jacking up threeā€™s? I do not know and I can not control what Bobby does or does not do. The only thing any of us can do and can control is our support for our team. I was not planning to go to the game Wednesday because of Thanksgiving traveling. All of that has changed now! We will be late for Thanksgiving. My family will be in Halton Wednesday because my team and your team needs me to be there and for you to be there probably more than any other game this year. Trust me, they will come out to look to see if anyone still believes in them. My family and I will shout and carry on as if we won the BCA and kicked everoneā€™s butt by 30. We may get our butts kicked and handed to us on a silver platter. Yet, I am absolutely covinced my responsiblity as a supporter and a fan is to go out and support our team even though I am mad as hell about the BCA. The coach may have let us down. The team may have let us down. All the posters had no control over the coach or the team. We do have control over the caliber and the support this team and our coach need is this very critical time of our season. Let us get focus on the next game and how we can be the very best supporter and fan for our team against Miss. State. Let us think of how we can help our team by making it a living hell for Miss. State to come to our house. We can do that! We have a whole week to bounce ideas. We can make a difference in the game against Miss. State! Gang green will need to be its finest as is shows the love to Miss. State. NA you are real smart about the inside and outside of the game. Tell us what you think we will need to do to win the game Wednesday! How do we match us with their players and what will be the keys to the game. We need to be thinking about Miss. State and you can help us get our minds back where they need to be. Like a team we must focus on Miss. State. Letā€™s get the smack going on their boards! We are the very best in smack! Ask any Memphis Tiger poster that tried to play in our house of smack.
It is all about Miss. State now. You and I do have some control about what will take place Wednesday and the rest of this season. We can control the level of our support for the players that wear the uniforms that bear our name, ā€œCharlotte.ā€ As long as they wear that uniform, we must give our very best for them. If at the end of the year, most of us want to hang Lutz, I will get the rope! You just tell me how thick and how long! Now that the first home game is only days away, we got a team to give our famous Halton arena welcome! Let it never be said of us(fans) that we laid an egg or we just showed up. Let it be said of us that we were in every game and we gave it our best. These are the things we have control of this season.

Mean Green

Hey guys, Iā€™m not really a charlotte fan.

Just wanted you all to know.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;139961]Hey guys, Iā€™m not really a charlotte fan.

Just wanted you all to know.[/QUOTE]

I donā€™t even know who you are anymore.

[QUOTE=MeanGreen;139959][B]Gang green[/B] will need to be its finest as is shows the love to Miss. State.

Mean Green[/QUOTE]

Gang Green donā€™t exist anymore.

[QUOTE=49erpi;139964]I donā€™t even know who you are anymore.[/QUOTE]

Iā€™m not a crook.

Good responses from survivor45, but I would like to hear what Lutz has to say. 1-17 is a batting slump and not fit for a basketball statā€¦insane! I cannot think of any other (known) D-1 coach in America that would let that happen.

Withers was called a ā€œpoint forwardā€? Does that imply that he is like Lebron or Magic? No way. To me, it sounds like a euphemism for someone who has great potential but plays out of position. I am not saying that Curt shouldnā€™t take the three when it is open or that he shouldnā€™t make assists. He has proven that he can do both. However, they should not be his priority. If he scores and passes from the paint, the open threes and easy assists will come, for everyone.

Curt hit some big 3ā€™s at the end to bring us back to within 5. He had too, we were getting spanked because of 1-17. Does Lutz think that Curt is going to go unguarded from his next 3 attempt? Does he care? Did he care to tell Plavich to pass the ball in the 2nd half of the tourney? No, they both kept shooting the 3 and the losses quickly came. Bobby Lutz is hooked on 3ā€™s like Lawrence Taylor is hooked on crack. SOMEONE INTERVENE before Bobby sells his mothers jewelry, or is that LT?

[QUOTE=MeanGreen;139959]Gang green will need to be its finest as is shows the love to Miss. State.[/QUOTE]
Good post other than not knowing that Niner Nation replaced Gang Green months ago. Now the question is will the students wear their shirts or go back to the frat shirts?

[URL=Niner Nation Shirts][B]Niner Nation Shirts[/B][/URL] thread

[QUOTE=Powerbait;139961]Hey guys, Iā€™m not really a charlotte fan.

Just wanted you all to know.[/QUOTE]
I always thought you secretly wore [COLOR=Cyan][B]Carolina Blue[/B][/COLOR] tights on non-game days.:tongue:

Way to shamelessly plug tee-shirts, HP!

I canā€™t get the link to work, however. Is it still ninernationshirts @ hotmail.com?

I believe thatā€™s whats encouraging. This team has the potential to peak later than any team weā€™ve had in a long time.

[QUOTE=HappyCamper49;140022]I believe thatā€™s whats encouraging. This team has the potential to peak later than any team weā€™ve had in a long time.[/QUOTE]

We should peak around the middle of June.

[QUOTE=survivor45;140018]Way to shamelessly plug tee-shirts, HP![/QUOTE]
not me, thatā€™s the Charlotte49ers.com store site, [URL=http://store.fansonly.com/marketplace/store_contents.cfm?store_id=218&product_id=70863&dept_id=3269][B]Niner Nation shirts[/B][/URL].

I was considering a new thread for this, but thereā€™s already too many on the subject

[URL=http://www.coachleerose.com/clinics.htm]http://www.coachleerose.com/clinics.htm[/URL]

Comments welcome.

[QUOTE=survivor45;140049]I was considering a new thread for this, but thereā€™s already too many on the subject

[URL=http://www.coachleerose.com/clinics.htm]http://www.coachleerose.com/clinics.htm[/URL]

Comments welcome.[/QUOTE]

Didnā€™t that pop up, oh, back in March?

Did anyone email him and get a reply?

[QUOTE=survivor45;140049]Comments welcome.[/QUOTE]
Knowing Coach Rose personally, it wouldā€™ve been nice to have kept him for a few more years in Charlotte. Incredible in game preparation but he absolutely hated recruiting.

Eleven years as a D-1 head coach with a .685 percentage (288-105) isnā€™t too bad, especially when you consider that 6 years was at South Florida.

[QUOTE=survivor45;139947]His grade for the BCA tournament? F. Until Lutz scraps his current game plan, we wonā€™t see 20 wins this year. Tell you what: write my name down as a guy who whined about the coaching. If we win another 19 games this year by taking 25 or more three point attempts and playing no defense, then I will happily admit I was wrong to question the logic behind our current coaching philosophy.[/QUOTE]

^- good stuff -^ If we donā€™t win 20 games this season, its on the coach.

I canā€™t even go on vacation to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, w/out the team following apart at 1-2? Northwestern & Wyoming suck. Miss St. is a Sec power. If we canā€™t beat NW & WY, how can we beat MSU? Thanks for ruining my vacation, coach.

[QUOTE=MeanJoeGreen;139992]1-17 is a batting slump and not fit for a basketball statā€¦insane! I cannot think of any other (known) D-1 coach in America that would let that happen.[/QUOTE]

Ummm, I think Seton Hallā€™s coach watched 22 straight misses (not all 3ā€™s) last night and could not do anything about it.