Lutz's response?

There was momentary unrest in Durham as preseason No. 1 Duke got off to a slow start against Boston University.

The Terriers were nipping at the Devilsā€™ heels for most of the first half, even leading the game for almost 14 minutes. J.J. Re#### missed two free throws during the game and did not hit a shot from beyond the arc.

The earth seemed to be teetering on its axis, about to fall off.

The Blue Devils were not alone. Kentucky looked less than overpowering against South Dakota State, but still won by double digits after Rajon Rondo put up 19 points and 12 rebounds. Alabama failed to blow away Miami (Ohio), winning by just six and putting its fans through a light roller-coaster ride. Mississippi State barely snuck by Western Florida. Wake Forest was not hitting on all cylinders in early play. Neither was Syracuse.

Trembling fingers everywhere were moving toward the panic button.

Charlotte traveled all the way to Wyoming and got slapped with two losses ā€“ to Northwestern and Wyoming, which had already lost to UNC Wilmington. Miami, a preseason pick to rise in the ACC this season, lost to Air Force in Seattle. The ACCā€™s other surprising Big East emigrant, Virginia Tech, lost at home to Bowling Green after Falcons coach Dan Dakich had his team practice in uniform right after a sluggish game performance the night before.

The contemplation of whether to simply jump out of the window or storm the athletic department with torches and pitchforks began in earnest. At the very least, we can pray to college basketballā€™s new prophets, the geniuses of talk radio, to find the answers.

Here is my answer to the fans who have their undies all in a bunch over an early-season loss or scare: Relax a little bit. It is still early, and these teams are all pretty young and still trying to find an identity.

Here is my answer to the coaches who have to listen to this stuff: You know your team better than anyone. Just coach the team and teach the players. Take the game performances as teachable moments and use them to build toward a positive outcome.

This isnā€™t football. You donā€™t get booted out of the national championship picture by one bad loss or one shaky performance. Upsets, now more than ever, are going to happen.

Why now more than ever? College basketball teams have gotten younger and younger and coaches have had less time with them together to form a true team. Right now, teams are adjusting to new lineups, new players and new systems, and things do not always work smoothly. If every team had experienced juniors and seniors who had been around the block a few times, there would be far fewer bumps in the road.

Here are some reasons behind the results weā€™ve seen:

Duke: The Blue Devils shot just 40 percent for the game (including 3-of-16 from 3-point range), allowed Boston U. to shoot 49 percent and were outrebounded by six by the smaller Terriers. Coach Mike Krzyzewski played only seven players in the game, and only six of them for more than 18 minutes, causing some to question his use of substitutions. How could that happen to a No. 1 team at home in an intimidating arena?

Simple. Coach K and his merry band of Player of the Year candidates played the exact type of team that could make them look bad. Boston University is extremely well-coached and plays a ball-control style that shortens the game, making it one of fewer possessions. The Terriers spread the floor in a triangle look and took Dukeā€™s big men out on the floor and exploited the overplay.

Because of that style of play, Coach K could not play as many of his younger players. The rebounding stat is deceptive. Because Duke did not shoot well, there were more defensive rebounds available to Boston University. For most of the game, the Terriers either got a good shot or turned the ball over, so there were fewer rebounds available for Duke. BU turned it over 26 times in the game.

Duke did not play its best. Boston University is pretty darn good and played really hard. It is very early. That is why Duke did not look like a world-beater. Come off the ledge.

Missouri: Losing at home to Sam Houston State hurts ā€“ badly. However, it doesnā€™t hurt anyone more than it hurts the Tigersā€™ coaching staff and players. For them, it is another body blow that will make even a sunny day look stormy.

Sam Houston State is one of the teams you would rather not play at this time of year. The Bearkats play a Princeton variation you have to go out and chase, especially with your big guys who are not used to guarding out on the perimeter. You might not believe it, but young players really have a hard time with that style until they learn how to guard it. Because you are out on the perimeter farther than usual, you are fearful of getting beat off the bounce or backdoor. The result is that you step back and donā€™t pressure the ball as hard, and you donā€™t trust your help.

Sam Houston hit deep shots, and Missouriā€™s young players did not respond well to it defensively. However, even if Mizzou had scraped by and won by a bucket or two, Quin Snyder would have been facing the same challenge ā€“ to bring along a young team that has been beaten up over the last two years and is in need of confidence and togetherness.

Because of the NCAA sanctions against Missouri and the resulting controversy, the Tigers have been playing with additional weight on them for a while now, and that is not easy. It adds a tremendous amount of pressure to the players and makes every day into a do-or-die battle. It might or might not be fair, but thatā€™s the way it is. This loss is no fun, but it is only one loss, and it could serve to sharpen the focus of a young team, teaching the players that they need to trust and rely upon each other in order to be good this year. It all depends upon how the Tigers respond.

Charlotte: You think good teams are going to be in a rush to go out to Wyoming and play now? Charlotte has some new pieces and lacks the same cadre of shooters to which Bobby Lutz has grown accustomed. The 49ers have good talent, but need some time to make it fit together. Usually, Charlotte would play at home and work out the kinks. This trip to Laramie came at the wrong time in the season ā€“ early.

Charlotte played against a Princeton-style squad versus Northwestern, and the Wildcats shot 51 percent from the floor to the 49ersā€™ 31 percent. Against Wyoming, Charlotte faced a running team with a game-changing big man. Justin Williams had 13 points, 20 rebounds and nine blocked shots, and he patrolled the inside.

Losing two like that makes it tougher to go to practice, but it is very early and Charlotte still will be a very good team.

The bottom line is this: Get used to some of these upsets and upset stomachs from tentative performances. We have had them every year for the last few, and we will have them every year for a long time coming. You will forget them by the start of conference play. Although the players and coaches never do.

What was the source of that NA? Good read.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;139874]What was the source of that NA? Good read.[/QUOTE]

The Bilas-strater.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;139873] Justin Williams had 13 points, 20 rebounds and nine blocked shots, and he patrolled the inside.
[/QUOTE]

20 rebounds and 9 blocksā€¦ :wow:

[QUOTE=Max Power;139884]20 rebounds and 9 blocksā€¦ :wow:[/QUOTE]

Why didnā€™t we take the damn ball to him and get him in foul trouble??

Thanks NAā€¦

for what its worthā€¦this doesnā€™t seem to be an isolated thingā€¦other teams are struggling too.

I knew Bilas would put it in perspective.

Why didnt we push harder to sign him?

[QUOTE]Here is my answer to the fans who have their undies all in a bunch over an early-season loss or scare: Relax a little bit. It is still early, and these teams are all pretty young and still trying to find an identity.

Here is my answer to the coaches who have to listen to this stuff: You know your team better than anyone. Just coach the team and teach the players. Take the game performances as teachable moments and use them to build toward a positive outcome.[/QUOTE]

Fitting commentary from Bilas.

except for the part about being a young teamā€¦ i guess he was not referring to us, 5 senoirs, one redshirt freshman, one sophmore.

[QUOTE]Usually, Charlotte would play at home and work out the kinks[/QUOTE]

Another quote from the article that I though was a bit cryptic.

[QUOTE=Jay Bilas]Usually, Charlotte would play at home and work out the kinks[/QUOTE]

Just like we worked them out at home against Rutgers last year? Or at home against GW the year before that?

does bilas have any coaching experience?

:hammer:
I have watched the good and bad of Lutz since Melving left. I still like the guy, but can someone ask Lutz one, some or all of these questions for me?

[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=2]* Why do we call Withers a low post player when he is encouraged by his coach to shoot 3ā€™s?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=2]* How can we have the best low post player in the state and an unknown grabs 20 rebounds and 8 blocked shots? Are players out of position? Or is he at the top of the key setting up for a 3?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=2]* MC_:confused: When someone is like 0-7shooting 3ā€™s during any stretch of the game, at what point should the coach say to the player drive and pass or shoot the gadamn 2? a)4, b)6, c)7, d) 23?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=2]* Is making four 3ā€™s better than making 8 shots inside the paint? [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=2]*Ater trailing by 20 in the second half, you are only down by 5 with less than 4 minutes to playā€¦?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Iā€™d like someone to copy down every single person who called Lutz a terrible coach in this thread and bring it back later in the season when weā€™re leading conference and approaching 20 wins!!

Itā€™s the same way we start off every season people! It sucks HUGE, but it is nothing new. Plenty of well-coached teams donā€™t play well early in the year. Itā€™s how you play late that matters.

Lutz has won Conference Tournament after Conference Tournament and consistently puts our boys in the Big Dance, so give it a rest.

I hope I donā€™t see the same lot of you ripping him right now be hypocritical and say heā€™s great later in the year. Weā€™re gonna be fine, despite the kick to the balls this week!
-G-

[QUOTE=GMadness;139923]Iā€™d like someone to copy down every single person who called Lutz a terrible coach in this thread and bring it back later in the season when weā€™re leading conference and approaching 20 wins!!

Itā€™s the same way we start off every season people! It sucks HUGE, but it is nothing new. Plenty of well-coached teams donā€™t play well early in the year. Itā€™s how you play late that matters.

Lutz has won Conference Tournament after Conference Tournament and consistently puts our boys in the Big Dance, so give it a rest.

I hope I donā€™t see the same lot of you ripping him right now be hypocritical and say heā€™s great later in the year. Weā€™re gonna be fine, despite the kick to the balls this week!
-G-[/QUOTE]

Lefty?

In November, you are either with us or against us. Will real niner fans at least wait until March to start the *itching and moaning. I want to win them all every year but it hardly ever happens at any university and will never happen in Charlotte. Letā€™s give our team some positive karma to get through December and in to conference play. Please!

Nope, that wasnā€™t me but Gmadness and Ninerwood make a lot of sense. I hope our team doesnā€™t quit like many of our fans.

ill say hes great when he brings an inside attack, with some defense. if we win 20 games by getting hot on the 3 pt i will still say he has no gameplan.

Some of you need to buy a dictionary and compare ā€œventingā€ with ā€œquitting.ā€ If youā€™re asking for a refund on your tickets, then yeah, I guess youā€™re quitting on the team. But to be overly critical is still simply being a fan. Tough for some to dintinguish I suppose. But just in case:

[B]vent[/B][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE] [URL=https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dventing][/URL] ([COLOR=red][FONT=verdana, sans-serif] P [/FONT][/COLOR]) [URL=http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html][B][U][COLOR=#0033ff]Pronunciation Key[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL] (vnt)
[I]n.[/I]
[list type=decimal]
[]A means of escape or release from confinement; an outlet: give vent to oneā€™s anger.[/LIST]v. [B]ventĀ·ed,[/B] [B]ventĀ·ing,[/B] [B]vents [/B]
v. tr.
[list type=decimal]
[
]To express (oneā€™s thoughts or feelings, for example), especially forcefully.[/LIST][I]v.[/I] [I]intr.[/I]
[list type=decimal]
[*]To vent oneā€™s feelings or opinions[/LIST][B]venter[/B] [I]n.[/I]
[I][B]Synonyms: [/B][/I][I]vent, [SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE]express, utter, [SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE]voice, air[/I]
These verbs mean to give outlet to thoughts or emotions. To [I]vent[/I] is to unburden oneself of a strong pent-up emotion

[QUOTE=dejavu;139902]except for the part about being a young teamā€¦ i guess he was not referring to us, 5 senoirs, one redshirt freshman, one sophmore.[/QUOTE]

However Bennett is one of those seniors, heā€™s never played a meaningful D1 game. EJ is in his 2nd year. So is Nance. Besides them we have a sophomore and a handful of newcomers who are expected to play big minutes. Lets face it this group is not a team yet, but they will be. We will get better and better as the season progresses. Hopefully weā€™ll peak a little later than weā€™re accustomed to.

Yes I may be sickeningly optomistic right now, but itā€™s too early to throw in the towel. Iā€™ll save my cynicism for in conference play.