Marquette and Charlotte

ok, many of you hate the USF comparison…
many of you hate that Winthrop has gained ground on us…

how can anyone honestly say that a few years ago, we were NOT ahead of Marquette? We were at least as good or better than Marquette…now they are far better off than us - by leaps and bounds.

I am not banging the negativity drum here, I just can’t understand everyone being content with where our program has ended up.

There is no reason we shouldn’t be equal to Marquette. They beat freaking Duke last night and we are losing to North Texas, and had very bad losses last year.

I’m not sure that anyone really IS content…

Every program has its ups and downs. Its like a pendulum, and we are on the downswing. Soon we will pass the center and be back on the upswing. Hopefully our upswings will get bigger and bigger…

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;200908]I’m not sure that anyone really IS content…[/QUOTE]

believe me… there is alot of content people walking the hallways of our athletic dept

there are alot of large content donors also…who aren’t alum

[QUOTE=metro;200907]

I am not banging the negativity drum here
[/QUOTE]

Then what’s that constant beating sound I hear?

[QUOTE=metro;200907] There is no reason we should not be equal to Marquette. They beat freaking Duke last night and we are losing to North Texas, and had very bad losses last year.[/QUOTE]

They had a Final Four run with one of the 5 best college basketball players to come along over the last 20 years. Wade stayed for his sophomore season. The biggest recruit we had since Cornbread did not. What has Marquette done since the Final Four run? [B]NIT, NIT, and a one-and-done appearance in the NCAA Tourney[/B]. That’s something that you chastize our program for. So they beat an inexperienced Duke team. Yeayyyyyyyy!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Other than being in the Big East, I don’t see that their program is ahead of us. There is a difference in being in a big conference and winning in it. One NCAA trip over the last three years has Charlotte fans calling for Lutz’s head, but we herald Tom Crean and his program for his/their “accomplishments”? It’s one or the other, not good for them AND bad for us to accomplish the same thing.

Then what's that constant beating sound I hear?

They had a Final Four run with one of the 5 best college basketball players to come along over the last 20 years. Wade stayed for his sophomore season. The biggest recruit we had since Cornbread did not. What has Marquette done since the Final Four run? NIT, NIT, and a one-and-done appearance in the NCAA Tourney. That’s something that you chastize our program for. So they beat an inexperienced Duke team. Yeayyyyyyyy!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Other than being in the Big East, I don’t see that their program is ahead of us. There is a difference in being in a big conference and winning in it. One NCAA trip over the last three years has Charlotte fans calling for Lutz’s head, but we herald Tom Crean and his program for his/their “accomplishments”? It’s one or the other, not good for them AND bad for us to accomplish the same thing.

Very Well Said :clap:

[QUOTE=metro;200907]
how can anyone honestly say that a few years ago, we were NOT ahead of Marquette? We were at least as good or better than Marquette…now they are far better off than us - by leaps and bounds.

I am not banging the negativity drum here, I just can’t understand everyone being content with where our program has ended up.
[/QUOTE]

No, you would never beat the drum of negativity…While we are speaking of drums, I think this one was pretty hashed out when the Big East catered to ND and let in Marquette and DePaul for their midwest Catholic ties. While I don’t disagree that Marquette is “ahead” of us now, their presence in the Big East obviously had nothing to do with football, since they, nor DePaul have it. It seems most believe that no football doomed us from getting a Big East invite (arguable), but MU and DePaul got in without it, so what is your take on that? BTW, a “few” years ago they went to a Final 4, and about 30 ago they won a National Championship.

If we had gotten the final bid for the BE, then we could bring in BCS-caliber recruits, so we could beat one of the best in college ball, Duke.
I very much think we should be them.

DePaul has Chicago, & Marquette had ND pull strings. That’s why they got in w/out football.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;200930]If we had gotten the final bid for the BE, then we could bring in BCS-caliber recruits, so we could beat one of the best in college ball, Duke.
[/QUOTE]

What do/would we need BCS-caliber recruits for? We don’t have a football team. If we did, it certainly would not take BCS-caliber recruits to beat Duke.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;200930]If we had gotten the final bid for the BE, then we could bring in BCS-caliber recruits, so we could beat one of the best in college ball, Duke.
I very much think we should be them.[/QUOTE]

10-4

What do/would we need BCS-caliber recruits for? We don't have a football team. If we did, it certainly would not take BCS-caliber recruits to beat Duke.

I think he meant BCS League-caliber basketball recruits, to beat the Duke basketball team.

All i know is Dominic James is a hell of a player.

[QUOTE=ice_cold49er;200936]I think he meant BCS [I]League[/I]-caliber [I]basketball[/I] recruits, to beat the Duke basketball team.[/QUOTE]

I know. Just having some fun with SCK. :tongue: :thumbsup: :wink:

[QUOTE=metro;200907]ok, many of you hate the USF comparison…
many of you hate that Winthrop has gained ground on us…

There is no reason we shouldn’t be equal to Marquette. They beat freaking Duke last night and we are losing to North Texas, and had very bad losses last year.[/QUOTE]

Believe me, I am not content. Every year I hope for a coaching change, an offensive strategy change, a defensive philosophy of some kind, etc. I have just given up. I cheer for the Niners but I’m not going to get too excited when the administration doesn’t care. When they allow a coach like Lutz to coach with no discipline and field a team that doesn’t get along, doesn’t play defense, and doesn’t play hard. I’d rather bring a new face who demanded effort every single night. It’s not happening here.

[QUOTE=X-49er;200923]
They had a Final Four run with one of the 5 best college basketball players to come along over the last 20 years. Wade stayed for his sophomore season. The biggest recruit we had since Cornbread did not. What has Marquette done since the Final Four run? [B]NIT, NIT, and a one-and-done appearance in the NCAA Tourney[/B]. That’s something that you chastize our program for. So they beat an inexperienced Duke team. Yeayyyyyyyy!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Other than being in the Big East, I don’t see that their program is ahead of us. There is a difference in being in a big conference and winning in it. One NCAA trip over the last three years has Charlotte fans calling for Lutz’s head, but we herald Tom Crean and his program for his/their “accomplishments”? It’s one or the other, not good for them AND bad for us to accomplish the same thing.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

MU’s being in the BE IS the reason they are doing so well. And they are in the BE simply because of a Catholic school confederation (conspiracy?) put them there. We have very little, if any, power in the college basketball political arena. The only power we have ever had was when Judy was on the NCAA selection committee. Seems to me our slide backward began about the time she completed her tenure there. Add that to our being in a weak A10 and it adds up to less talent, less TV, more losses, etc. The dominoes are falling, folks.

As for tonight’s game, 'cuse by 15 or more. The only reason they play us now is because they want to exorcize the spirit of being Plav’ed in 03. Once that’s done, we’ll only see them in the ncaas, if we’re lucky enough to get there again.

[QUOTE=The Provider;200928]No, you would never beat the drum of negativity…While we are speaking of drums, I think this one was pretty hashed out when the Big East catered to ND and let in Marquette and DePaul for their midwest Catholic ties. While I don’t disagree that Marquette is “ahead” of us now, their presence in the Big East obviously had nothing to do with football, since they, nor DePaul have it. It seems most believe that no football doomed us from getting a Big East invite (arguable), but MU and DePaul got in without it, so what is your take on that? BTW, a “few” years ago they went to a Final 4, and about 30 ago they won a National Championship.[/QUOTE]

and no you would never get real…

and you never answer the question…are you an alum or just an employee? of course you think things are fine.

btw, we were in the same final 4 30 years ago genius

I can see metro’s point - watching that game last night was a pretty vivid example of how far Marquette has gotten and how far we…haven’t. You can’t help but be upset when you see a team that we used to beat up on beating Duke on national tv, while realising one of our best games won’t even be seen (OK, it will, but you get my point).

That said, we’ll all feel a lot better when we thrash Syracuse tonight. :slight_smile: Go Niners!

[QUOTE=Florida49er;200974]I can see metro’s point - watching that game last night was a pretty vivid example of how far Marquette has gotten and how far we…haven’t. You can’t help but be upset when you see a team that we used to beat up on beating Duke on national tv, while realising one of our best games won’t even be seen (OK, it will, but you get my point).

That said, we’ll all feel a lot better when we thrash Syracuse tonight. :slight_smile: Go Niners![/QUOTE]

thanks, well said

watching them spank Duke was frustrating as hell.

speaking of no game on TV tonite, I remember there used to be this rumor in the 90’s that “espn loved us” and we had “connections” and the espn building in Ballantyne was going to be our savior for alot of tv games.