Marquette and Charlotte

To hear metro talk…you would think we have been in the A-10 for 20 years…and been without an NCAA appearance for the same time.

ITS BEEN 1 YEAR…1 FREAKIN YEAR!!!

[QUOTE=casstommy;200983]To hear metro talk…you would think we have been in the A-10 for 20 years…and been without an NCAA appearance for the same time.

ITS BEEN 1 YEAR…1 FREAKIN YEAR!!![/QUOTE]

Should we bump this thread when it’s been 2? Or three? Or four? Some people can spot trends, others are forever optimistic even in the face of reality.

[QUOTE=NinerUpNorth;200984]Should we bump this thread when it’s been 2? Or three? Or four? Some people can spot trends, others are forever optimistic even in the face of reality.[/QUOTE]

Yes…you should…

Until that time…you have nothing to go on but pure speculation.

All programs go through peaks and valleys. We have had our share of both. But I have a hard time believing that a year where we win 19 games…miss the NCAA’s and go NIT…and then lose to N Texas in the 2nd game of a new year…is a valley…or even indicates that we are heading towards a valley.

If that were the case…every team that misses the NCAA’s for a year or 2 is in a row is in decline. That would be a lot of declining programs.

[QUOTE=casstommy;200987]Yes…you should…

Until that time…you have nothing to go on but pure speculation.

[/QUOTE]

Which is also all you have to go on.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;200990]Which is also all you have to go on.[/QUOTE]

I am not making broad statements about the state of the program…certainly not after 1 bad year. I am just saying its not nearly as bad as the detractors make it out to be.

1 loss to N Texas is not the end of the world…and guess what…it will happen again someday.

Marquette’s coach, Tom Crean, makes $1.65 million per year. Looking at what we get for 1/3 that I think we are outperforming them by a long shot.

[QUOTE=Nugget;201006]Marquette’s coach, Tom Crean, makes $1.65 million per year. Looking at what we get for 1/3 that I think we are outperforming them by a long shot.[/QUOTE]

Good point, we RULE the ballance sheet!.. Should we should start making 1/3 Final Four Banners?

The program is stuck in the mud and spinning its wheels.

The problem is, last year the NCAA was pretty watered down, a lot of programs were rebuilding and worse thing is we didn’t get in on a watered down year…

[QUOTE=casstommy;200998]I am not making broad statements about the state of the program…certainly not after 1 bad year. I am just saying its not nearly as bad as the detractors make it out to be.

1 loss to N Texas is not the end of the world…and guess what…it will happen again someday.[/QUOTE]

dude,
I started at UNCC in 1991. We had Henry Williams and were ranked 17 and in the Metro Conference with UL, Va Tech, etc.
I graduated in 95’ and had season tix for 5 years till about 2000 before losing faith in the program.

quit talking about 1 bad year,
we have not advanced in the NCAA since Rodney freakin White.

Did you even watch when Colson, Demarco, Galen, and Diego were here? We were competive every night against anyone- including an OT loss to UNC in the 2nd round (could you imagine what the Vince Carter-Antwan Jamison team would do to us now???)

get off the one bad year theory, its been a few and guess what??? The A10 will make it worse.

Metro…

what is it that you expect out of this basketball program…year in and year out…What kind of W/L record do you expect? Do you expect to make the NCAA’s every year? Advance deep every year?

I’m not trying to come off as a smart ass…I would just like to know what you feel the expectations should be for this team.

I would love to win 20-25 every year. Win the Regular or Conference tourny every year. Make NCAA’s and sweet 16 every year. I just dont think it is reasonable to expect it.

i think it was reasonable at that time to expect things like that from this team.

in fact, up until the dark season, fans were expecting nothing less than that from this program. we were regulars in the tournament, and were expected by everyone, not just our fans, to do something in the tournament.

then we had our dark season, seemed to recover, but never really did. Eddie Basden and Curtis Withers should have been enough to take us somewhere in the tournament. Throw in BP and Demon and we should have made some serious noise. But we haven’t. and our expectations have fallen off. we made the NIT last year, what next? be satisfied to make the A-10 tournament? We have fallen off. Big time.

I think he and a lot of our fans are just frustrated because we had so much to work with and we lost a lot of it. now we are struggling to recover.

Demon’s senior year, we should have been a powerhouse in the tournament. we were undefeated in feb, winless in march. we went from underdog warriors to chokers.

I still have faith that this program can become a player on the national scene again, but the move to the A-10 has made it harder.

[QUOTE=casstommy;201057]Metro…

what is it that you expect out of this basketball program…year in and year out…What kind of W/L record do you expect? Do you expect to make the NCAA’s every year? Advance deep every year?

I’m not trying to come off as a smart ass…I would just like to know what you feel the expectations should be for this team.

I would love to win 20-25 every year. Win the Regular or Conference tourny every year. Make NCAA’s and sweet 16 every year. I just dont think it is reasonable to expect it.[/QUOTE]

my expectations are not that high bud:

I expect to beat UL-Laf, Northwestern, N Tex, etc.
Maybe suffer one bad loss a year, beat who you should beat
Be in the top 50 RPI.
play defense…again like we used to
be smart on the court
have discipline
advance in the NCAA every 3 years or so
not be in the same conference with the schmucks we are now
be able to watch a big game like tonite on TV
hear the freaking radio game (I live exactly 14 miles from center city)
find some merchandise on occasion
PLAY A DECENT HOME SCHEDULE

pretty much be your average top 50 D1 team

Did you even watch when Colson, Demarco, Galen, and Diego were here? We were competive every night against anyone- including an OT loss to UNC in the 2nd round (could you imagine what the Vince Carter-Antwan Jamison team would do to us now????)

I was trying to explain this very thing to 49or Bust last night. he will soon see and find out…

my expectations are not that high bud:

I expect to beat UL-Laf, Northwestern, N Tex, etc.
Maybe suffer one bad loss a year, beat who you should beat
Be in the top 50 RPI.
play defense…again like we used to
be smart on the court
have discipline
advance in the NCAA every 3 years or so
not be in the same conference with the schmucks we are now
be able to watch a big game like tonite on TV
hear the freaking radio game (I live exactly 14 miles from center city)
find some merchandise on occasion
PLAY A DECENT HOME SCHEDULE

pretty much be your average top 50 D1 team

I would like to confirm these as reasonable expectations in my opinion.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;201064]i think it was reasonable at that time to expect things like that from this team.

in fact, up until the dark season, fans were expecting nothing less than that from this program. we were regulars in the tournament, and were expected by everyone, not just our fans, to do something in the tournament.

then we had our dark season, seemed to recover, but never really did. Eddie Basden and Curtis Withers should have been enough to take us somewhere in the tournament. Throw in BP and Demon and we should have made some serious noise. But we haven’t. and our expectations have fallen off. we made the NIT last year, what next? be satisfied to make the A-10 tournament? We have fallen off. Big time.

I think he and a lot of our fans are just frustrated because we had so much to work with and we a lot of it. now we are struggling to recover.

Demon’s senior year, we should have been a powerhouse in the tournament. we were undefeated in feb, winless in march. we went from underdog warriors to chokers.

I still have faith that this program can become a player on the national scene again, but the move to the A-10 has made it harder.[/QUOTE]

bingo
d.o.b.a.

agreesome

[QUOTE=Noreaster;201070]I would like to confirm these as reasonable expectations in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

alum like u r part of the problem

[QUOTE=metro;201073]alum like u r part of the problem[/QUOTE]

L-O-L

i didn’t really laugh that loud, but I did laugh out loud.

alum like u r part of the problem

part of the problem? how so?

[QUOTE=Noreaster;201076]part of the problem? how so?[/QUOTE]

it’s a joke dude.