Martin Iti

-_-

[i]Originally posted by gamer+Jan 23 2005, 12:06 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (gamer @ Jan 23 2005, 12:06 PM)

Is it okay to boo Bobby Lutz?

the LUTZ, LUTZ, LUTZ, LUTZ chant sounds a little like BOO sometimes

[i]Originally posted by Smeed2000[/i]@Jan 22 2005, 11:59 PM [b] Wow you guys are unreal! First off this was EJ's first poor game. Everyone has a bad game. No one is perfect. Iti is a weapon out there even if you guys dont think so. His height is just intimidating and he has had great games this year. Could we have beaten Yale without him!?!? I dont think so. If any of you think you can walk on to our team and do better then be my guest. Untill then shut the hell up about our team. Beating #25 Marquette was huge for us. This was the turning point of our season and all you guys can do is come up with negative things. This is my challenge to you. Start looking for the good things we did in the games just as much as the bad. Basden had an awesome preformance in against Marquette and so did Plavich. Baldwin was awesome showing no fear even with his seperated shoulder still bothering him. Iti played the least of all our starters tonight and came away with 4 points and 7 rebounds. Not the best perfomance, but nothing to complain about. A win is a win. Treat it like one! [/b]
Don't sound too objective now.

Face it Martin is what he is, a 6ā€™10 stick with long arms. He made some very dumb decisions last summer. That is what frustrates the fans. Had he stayed in Charlotte and worked on his game/frame he wouldā€™ve been a much better player than before. Anyone who says the NBA draft camps helped his game is full of it. He has zero concept of a post move, and doesnā€™t have the footwork necessary to execute even a simple drop step. 1 defensive rebound is a joke when youā€™re 6ā€™10. Shoot if I was 6ā€™10 with long arms youā€™d better believe I would walk on. I think the same could be said for 99% of the guys on this board. Yeah the 6 offensive boards were nice, but the 33% FTs for the year is not. I think he catches the most flack because he seems to be NBA focused (fair or not fair) and not necessarily team oriented. This rubs our fans the wrong way.

PI, I for one think Butter played well his final year with the Niners. He accepted his role and became one of the better 6th men in the country both offensively and defensively.

[i]Originally posted by Sideshow[/i]@Jan 23 2005, 02:02 PM [b] the LUTZ, LUTZ, LUTZ, LUTZ chant sounds a little like BOO sometimes [/b]
I was at Piccasso's and did not boo. I thought it was kinda lighthearted and funny at the time. Thinking back, it does sound bad to boo your own players. He also was cheered loudly when he came back in and got the dunk.

Expectations are just to high for Iti. He will contribute this year and we do need him.

[i]Originally posted by BigTimeNiner+Jan 23 2005, 02:25 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (BigTimeNiner @ Jan 23 2005, 02:25 PM)

Why is everyone so negative about everyone on the team? Iti probably has the least amount of talent as anyone who plays but at least he tries. If Withers played as hard as Iti he would be living up to his ā€œWooden Award Considerationā€. He has more talent than anyone we have but has never played an entire game as a 49er. If he played every game like he did in the second half against Marquette, he would be putting up All-American numbers. Iti is not skilled at all offensively but he is our best defensive big man, if nothing else by the process of elimination. He gets his points the same way Nance does, by others driving or by putting the ball back in the hole off misses. I dont know if either one of them has scored on a post-up all year. At least Iti works to post up, something Withers fails to do. When he was in the game yesterday, we went up 20-11 but when he came out, Marquette tied the game up. He is not as talented as he was hyped to be but he gives a lot more effort than he did last year and we are better when he is in the game.

A few points if I may,as iā€™ve sat on the sidelines for most of this conversationā€¦first,iā€™ll be honest,as iā€™ve stated many timesā€¦I think ITI is terrible,iā€™m not gonna rehash all the reasons whyā€¦that ship has sailed. Second,iā€™m much angrier at Lutz than Martinā€¦I think Martinā€™s trying,heā€™s just not very good. But coach is the 1 who keeps starting him and giving him the most playing time at center.I really think coach is a bit embarrassed by how little Martins developed and keeps trying to force the issue,rather than say"heā€™s not ready for big time div. 1,iā€™ll start Nance,whoā€™s at least a physical presence,and than bring ITI in off the bench." Than he can try to work on Martins stregnth and his game over the summerā€¦and hopefully all those on the board,and ALL niner fans will be thrilled and pleasantly surprised when Martin comes back for his junior year and is much better.Iā€™m a huge,loyal fanā€¦but that doesnā€™t mean I canā€™t boo occasionally and still love the niners.I want us to get to the dance and get BEYOND the first round,and thats very difficult without any post presence. Iā€™m out!

Nobody booed Iti at my apartment, but everybody was laughing when he was denied by the rim. :lol:

Seriously, though, one of my friends who has no real idea of the Niners and was watching them for the first time turned to me and actually said, ā€œMan, that Number 2 really sucks. Why does your coach put him in?ā€ Thatā€™s disheartening to hear.

Pittā€™s center is a Sophomore and heā€™s a beast. He couldnā€™t have been as highly rated as Iti coming out of high school either. Something just seems to be fundamentally wrong with Iti.

I actually believe it is ADD. The last few minutes of the game when it was tense, Iti was awesome. Whenever the game is in the beginning, out of reach, or plain boring, I would rather see Gordon or Miller play the five position.

I say we test him, medicate him, and he will be Withers Jr. next year (or better yet, EB in a bigger body)

[i]Originally posted by cakewalk5[/i]@Jan 23 2005, 09:05 PM [b] Nobody booed Iti at my apartment, but everybody was laughing when he was denied by the rim. :lol:

Seriously, though, one of my friends who has no real idea of the Niners and was watching them for the first time turned to me and actually said, ā€œMan, that Number 2 really sucks. Why does your coach put him in?ā€ Thatā€™s disheartening to hear.

Pittā€™s center is a Sophomore and heā€™s a beast. He couldnā€™t have been as highly rated as Iti coming out of high school either. Something just seems to be fundamentally wrong with Iti.

I actually believe it is ADD. The last few minutes of the game when it was tense, Iti was awesome. Whenever the game is in the beginning, out of reach, or plain boring, I would rather see Gordon or Miller play the five position.

I say we test him, medicate him, and he will be Withers Jr. next year (or better yet, EB in a bigger body) [/b]

Great quote by your friendā€¦my brother said the same thingā€¦"that big guy you guys have really sucksā€¦o well.

[i]Originally posted by cakewalk5[/i]@Jan 23 2005, 09:05 PM [b] The last few minutes of the game when it was tense, Iti was awesome.

[/b]

I agree with that for sure. Iti was a different player in the second half.

[i]Originally posted by cakewalk5[/i]@Jan 23 2005, 10:05 PM [b] Pitt's center is a Sophomore and he's a beast. He couldn't have been as highly rated as Iti coming out of high school either. Something just seems to be fundamentally wrong with Iti.

[/b]

He was simply over ranked. Probably the one guy at ESPN who ranked him #1 saw him play one game against a 6ā€™5" center and score 30 points. Thereā€™s no logical way to figure it out. He just wasnā€™t ranked correctly. Oh well.

I like Iti, but heā€™s no better than any other center weā€™ve ever had since All-American Cedric Maxwell played his last game as a Niner in 1977. If our Dunkinā€™ Aussie will just stick it through for all four years, then perhaps he will eventually live up to all the hype.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 10:15 AM [b] I like Iti, but he's no better than any other center we've ever had since All-American Cedric Maxwell played his last game as a Niner in 1977. If our Dunkin' Aussie will just stick it through for all four years, then perhaps he will eventually live up to all the hype. [/b]
Iti will be gone next year to play in Europe, & personally I can't wait. He brings nothing to the table. I would start Nance the rest of the season if I were Lutz...

[SIZE=4]ITI SUCKS!![/SIZE]

[i]Originally posted by Agent Smith+Jan 24 2005, 12:40 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Agent Smith @ Jan 24 2005, 12:40 PM)

Jermaine Parker was a good center. Maybe not CUSA good, but he was good for the Metro Conference.

[i]Originally posted by finalfourtyniners[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 02:58 PM [b] your dumb [/b]
lol Please tell me I am not the only one that sees the irony in this. Maybe I am just easily amused, but I'm sure someone else will catch on.

I laughed at it too, but I have learned to pretty much ignore that kind of stuff.

PB, what are you laughing at? I is not getting it.