Maryland Postgame

Positives

Davis played great. He was aggressive and had some tremendous drives. Was the best player on the court.

White was solid and had his three point stroke.

Benas had his best game in two years. He clogged up the middle on defense and made some nice shots. Also had a couple of steals.

Negatives

BO was a liability on the court. He was only 2-10 and messed up an easy fast break by not passing off.

Garvin could not finish and made several bad turnovers.

Hudson was invisible. He even tried a boneheaded behind the back pass.

Ajukwa was not bad but didn’t make much of an impact.

Team perimeter defense was terrible in the second half. The Terps made 10 threes in the second half alone.

That was the Benas we needed at the beginning of the season.

If he can keep playing like that and we can depend on him, I see good things happening for us during conference play.

Outside of that, its a shame we as a fanbase (including myself) are content/meh with a 10+ point loss to a P5 team. Thanks Judy.

i dont think any of us are content with losing by 16 to maryland but we need to look for positives after the florida, wake forest, and davidson games. we took a step forward in terms of benas’s play and what that does to our offense. defense was still shameful.

Coulda been MUCH worse. I expected it to be. Glad it was under 20. Loved the 1 point halftime lead, though.

Excited about a 1 point halftime lead?

Says a lot about the current state of 49ers athletics

Play Benas! Having him there for rebounds and a tall guy down low on defense was a big help.

We have got to learn to play defense. The only reason we had a lead at the half is because they were ice cold from three. It is baffling how terrible this team is on D.

Also, it pains me to say it, but BO needs to sit more, and get a red light on his shooting until he can come out of his slump. He has been a liability on both ends of the floor. But he has been a great Niner, and I hope he can turn things around.

[size=2]At no stage did I ever think we were going to win this game, but overall it was a very good showing by us.[/size]

[font=Verdana][size=2]Maryland clearly didn’t show up to play in the first half but so what. We finally looked like a real team and we were on national TV.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]We need to play Benas more. Offense aside, he is a big body that at least makes the defender think about driving down the lane.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]I would like to see Ajukwa start at the 4 alongside Benas too. Have Garvin and Vanhook come off the bench.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2]JD is the man[/size][/font]

clt feels vindicated for clt pushing for benas.

Why did Washington not play?

Nope, and so far this year the only things he’s accomplished, is get technical fouls and
run out of breathe after 4 trips down the floor.

Ditto everything in this thread. For conference play, I really agree with Basden about starting Ajukwe at the 4 (Hook in certain situations), and as much as it pains me, perhaps Jackson over BO (at least until he can show he isn’t a liability). BO, Hook, and Garvin off the bench. Price, JCW and Aube as necessary. Lots of 2-3 zone on defense, and work on perfecting it in practice.

If Benas plays well, we suddenly have rotations that make sense. It’s that big of a deal.

Real question…Do all teams openly complain about fouls like we do or am I just sensitive to it with us? I really get sick of some most of the guys complaining after almost every call. Even obvious fouls.

Says a lot about the current state of 49ers athletics[/quote]

Says even more about my sarcastic way of dealing with it.

Maryland had 12 more free throw opportunities than we did so maybe we had something to complain about.

[quote=“JudyPleaseRetire, post:12, topic:30706”]Ditto everything in this thread. For conference play, I really agree with Basden about starting Ajukwe at the 4 (Hook in certain situations), and as much as it pains me, perhaps Jackson over BO (at least until he can show he isn’t a liability). BO, Hook, and Garvin off the bench. Price, JCW and Aube as necessary. Lots of 2-3 zone on defense, and work on perfecting it in practice.

If Benas plays well, we suddenly have rotations that make sense. It’s that big of a deal.[/quote]
I agree 100% with these rotations.

Judy Rose: We beat the mighty Maryland Terps the 1st half! We played so well all game. We came up just short gosh darnit! The average fan doesn’t know how good Maryland is this year!

A Real Athletic Director: We played terrible in the 2nd half and lost. Should’ve played better and won but we didn’t.

Says a lot about the current state of 49ers athletics[/quote]

Not really. Maryland is a top 30 team right now. Leading any top 30 team at the half is a good thing, right?

When you have Managed Expectations…yes.

And that’s just how Judy likes it.

When you have Managed Expectations…yes.

And that’s just how Judy likes it.[/quote]
Lol. I also think it’s time for a change in the AD. But I’m not blaming them for everything. It’s ok to be excited about having a halftime lead over a top 30 team on the road.