Maryland Postgame

[quote=“Normmm, post:37, topic:30706”][quote=“2k, post:33, topic:30706”][quote=“Normmm, post:28, topic:30706”]Where are the RPI calculation guys. I have no idea how much this would change our RPI, but we were 0-4 against Dav, WF, UF and Mary. How different would our RPI be if we just went .500 in those games? Plus throw in a win against USC Upstate.

That would make us 9-2, instead of 6-5. I think those expectations are very reasonable and wouldn’t fall into the miracle category. [/quote]Have at it: http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/index.html[/quote]

Done. Flip USC Upstate, Davidson and Maryland, we would be sitting at an RPI of 46.[/quote]

Yep, that’s because our SOS would be decent along with 9-2 record. Problem, of course, is our SOS would tank when we play all those conference games in a very bad CUSA. Better go undefeated in conference.

[quote=“Iron9er, post:41, topic:30706”][quote=“Normmm, post:37, topic:30706”][quote=“2k, post:33, topic:30706”][quote=“Normmm, post:28, topic:30706”]Where are the RPI calculation guys. I have no idea how much this would change our RPI, but we were 0-4 against Dav, WF, UF and Mary. How different would our RPI be if we just went .500 in those games? Plus throw in a win against USC Upstate.

That would make us 9-2, instead of 6-5. I think those expectations are very reasonable and wouldn’t fall into the miracle category. [/quote]Have at it: http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/index.html[/quote]

Done. Flip USC Upstate, Davidson and Maryland, we would be sitting at an RPI of 46.[/quote]

Yep, that’s because our SOS would be decent along with 9-2 record. Problem, of course, is our SOS would tank when we play all those conference games in a very bad CUSA. Better go undefeated in conference.[/quote]

That’s my point. Let’s get to that point where we have the right to complain about the conference. If we play at the level as a program that I think we should. We can have a top 50 rpi. Even in the crappy CUSA.

[quote=“Normmm, post:36, topic:30706”][quote=“9erken, post:31, topic:30706”][quote=“Normmm, post:28, topic:30706”]Where are the RPI calculation guys. I have no idea how much this would change our RPI, but we were 0-4 against Dav, WF, UF and Mary. How different would our RPI be if we just went .500 in those games? Plus throw in a win against USC Upstate.

That would make us 9-2, instead of 6-5. I think those expectations are very reasonable and wouldn’t fall into the miracle category. [/quote] Which 2 double-digit easy losses would you like to give us? I think part of the problem is how out-classed we’ve looked in most of those games (at least Maryland seemed a little better).[/quote]

I may have misinterpreted your original post. You said it will take a miracle to get back to relevance. Perhaps you were only talking about this season? I was talking longterm.

This season, I agree, it will take a miracle.

Longterm I think its reasonable to want to at least go .500 against teams like Dav, UF, Mary and WF.

Its like NWA mentioned earlier, as much as we complain about CUSA being a 1 bid league, we’re not doing anything to help that situation.[/quote]I was thinking both short and long term. I agree it’s reasonable to want to go at least .500 in those games if we had a good program, but we are a long way from that at the moment IMO given how thoroughly and easily 3/4 of those teams dismantled us. I disagree with anyone that thinks we just need a good center, and that will solve our issues, there are other issues that need help too. Recruiting will be more difficult going forward given our program’s and league’s current profiles and the fact that it doesn’t look like Price is an all-star recruiter, so I’m not sure I see us improving talent-wise, which means the coaching needs to be better than it has been or we have to get incredibly lucky.

And then there’s the issue that even if we do go .500 in those games, conference quality is so bad that it will drag us down and off the bubble (my rough approximation of relevance, though that’s probably generous) unless we win every game, because there’s approximately zero chance for quality wins in conference, almost every loss is a bad loss. And I completely agree with you that Charlotte is part of the problem for the league, making it just as hard for another team to be relevant, like MTSU or ODU this year.

I think it’s either a long road back with many difficult hurdles or we have to get incredibly lucky in recruiting. If the conference gets better, it makes things at least slightly easier because an at-large becomes at least somewhat feasible without either a stellar OOC or a perfect conference record (with the latter possibly not being enough given where the conference is right now).