Mayfield's role

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2013/01/to-start-mayfield-or-not.html

I think Braswell would be more suited coming off the bench than Mayfield. Clark and Clayton have played just as well as he has this year.

Amen !

From the article:

But the 49ers might have fared better in a 82-54 loss against George Washington had Mayfield been able to come in and potentially pprovide a spark, rather than be part of a sluggish Charlotte start that quickly dissolved into a blowout defeat.

Mayfield scored 9 of our first 11 points. We would have gotten smoked much earlier in the game had he not been in the starting lineup. He’s our best and most consistent player. He needs to be starting.

[quote=“X-49er, post:4, topic:27430”]From the article:

But the 49ers might have fared better in a 82-54 loss against George Washington had Mayfield been able to come in and potentially pprovide a spark, rather than be part of a sluggish Charlotte start that quickly dissolved into a blowout defeat.

Mayfield scored 9 of our first 11 points. We would have gotten smoked much earlier in the game had he not been in the starting lineup. He’s our best and most consistent player. He needs to be starting.[/quote]

AGREED … its absolutely ridiculous but so typical of Major ??? to even contemplate not starting Mayfield.

Could be some more interesting info/stories coming out about Mayfield soon, stay tuned. :-X

Back when T-Will could score I liked Mayfield comming off the bench. It provided a level of consistency on the offensive end, and helped prevent the dreaded “dry spells” we had seen in the past. However now that T-Will cant score I don’t know what to do with May. I miss that spark off the bench, by without him I am not sure we could score enough in the beginning of the game.

The real issue is “what happened to T-Will, and will be ever come back?” If T-Will could still score I don think we are even talking about this.

If we don’t have a consistent scorer in the starting lineup, Mayfield needs to start. When TWill, was scoring at the beginning of the year it was good to swap the two, where Mayfield acted as a de facto Jason Terry (Dallas years, not so much Boston).

[quote=“sokool, post:5, topic:27430”]AGREED … its absolutely ridiculous but so typical of Major ??? to even contemplate not starting Mayfield.

Could be some more interesting info/stories coming out about Mayfield soon, stay tuned. :-X[/quote]

ull see…

Mayfield needs to start and play 30+ minutes every game.

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:6, topic:27430”]Back when T-Will could score I liked Mayfield comming off the bench. It provided a level of consistency on the offensive end, and helped prevent the dreaded “dry spells” we had seen in the past. However now that T-Will cant score I don’t know what to do with May. I miss that spark off the bench, by without him I am not sure we could score enough in the beginning of the game.

The real issue is “what happened to T-Will, and will be ever come back?” If T-Will could still score I don think we are even talking about this.[/quote]

TWill needs to sit in the gym for 2 hours a day and shoot nothing but 15-foot jumpers. If he could knock that down consistently we’d be a much different team.

The thing is, he can. But his shot selection is poor. If he shot only those mid-range jumpers and select drives to the rim, he’d be fine, but he takes too many three points (by too many I mean any) and there are times where he’s hell bent on going to the rim despite the lane being packed like sardines.

The tools are there for him to be an excellent mid range shooter which in turn could open up the drive (pump fake) but he’s got to master the mental side of the game.

[quote=“NLP49, post:11, topic:27430”]The thing is, he can. But his shot selection is poor. If he shot only those mid-range jumpers and select drives to the rim, he’d be fine, but he takes too many three points (by too many I mean any) and there are times where he’s hell bent on going to the rim despite the lane being packed like sardines.

The tools are there for him to be an excellent mid range shooter which in turn could open up the drive (pump fake) but he’s got to master the mental side of the game.[/quote]

And the ball rarely goes back out of his hands once he has it. Which you have alluded to. He does not facilitate the offense at all. Since Henry isn’t really your typical PG, having Mayfield start allows him to really play the role of facilitator. I also have mentioned that we don’t seem to have much of a back up plan when we can’t get the ball into the post… well Mayfield is one of the guys we have that can break a guy down and either score or dish.

Looks like he is willing to do whatever it takes to get behind the wheel of a stock car again.

http://espn.go.com/racing/blog/_/name/newton_david/id/8853271/nascar-jeremy-mayfield-says-ready-take-steps-return

[quote=“Mullins Maniac, post:13, topic:27430”]Looks like he is willing to do whatever it takes to get behind the wheel of a stock car again.

http://espn.go.com/racing/blog/_/name/newton_david/id/8853271/nascar-jeremy-mayfield-says-ready-take-steps-return[/quote]

Wonder Woman is here to ward off this threadjack.

[quote=“X-49er, post:4, topic:27430”]From the article:

Mayfield scored 9 of our first 11 points. We would have gotten smoked much earlier in the game had he not been in the starting lineup. He’s our best and most consistent player. He needs to be starting.[/quote]

I thought the same thing. At least in regards to the GW game. He was the only guy able to do anything in the first half.

[quote=“X-49er, post:14, topic:27430”][quote=“Mullins Maniac, post:13, topic:27430”]Looks like he is willing to do whatever it takes to get behind the wheel of a stock car again.

http://espn.go.com/racing/blog/_/name/newton_david/id/8853271/nascar-jeremy-mayfield-says-ready-take-steps-return[/quote]

Wonder Woman is here to ward off this threadjack.

[/quote]

My bad, wrong Mayfield.

If Major’s so worried about energy, why not bring PH off the bench?
The whole conternation by Major is dumb, IMHO. We have an energy guy on the bench typically because that player does not have equivalent tools to the opponent or starters. He brings high energy for short bursts of time to compensate for a lacking tool (be it D, handles, quickness, whatever).
Mayfield is one of the best players on the team. Bringing him off the bench just cuts the minutes of one of our best players.
A Major WTF moment.

[quote=“cakewalk5, post:17, topic:27430”]If Major’s so worried about energy, why not bring PH off the bench?
The whole conternation by Major is dumb, IMHO. We have an energy guy on the bench typically because that player does not have equivalent tools to the opponent or starters. He brings high energy for short bursts of time to compensate for a lacking tool (be it D, handles, quickness, whatever).
Mayfield is one of the best players on the team. Bringing him off the bench just cuts the minutes of one of our best players.
A Major WTF moment.[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head, cakewalk. If you want to win, you play your best players, period. I’d love to think that Major is a brilliant basketball mind with a high hoops IQ, but issues like this make me rethink how great of a coach he really is. (Not saying I know more than him!!)

This reminds me of when I was young, I had a little league baseball coach who had this bizarre idea that he should bat one of his best hitters late in the batting order, like 7th or 8th, so it would “surprise” the other team. It was so f***ing stupid and everyone knew it but him. So we were already a mediocre team to start with, and now one of the few studs who could really hit the ball was getting far fewer at bats throughout the season bc he was so low in the batting order.
And for the record, the stud hitter was not me, I was always terrible at the plate.

Remember when everyone on this board said Major was an idiot for not starting Bras and having him come off the bench? I personally love this idea. Mayfield’s minutes really don’t get cut if you think about it. The only way they get cut is if he played almost every minute of the game. Whether he sits out the first four minutes, or four minutes at a different point in the half, he still sits out four minutes. People get too hung up on starting.

Oh, and by the way, DeMario averages the second most minutes per game of anyone on our team. But yeah, his minutes are definitely being limited by him not starting.

[quote=“wild-Bill49, post:19, topic:27430”]Remember when everyone on this board said Major was an idiot for not starting Bras and having him come off the bench? I personally love this idea. Mayfield’s minutes really don’t get cut if you think about it. The only way they get cut is if he played almost every minute of the game. Whether he sits out the first four minutes, or four minutes at a different point in the half, he still sits out four minutes. People get too hung up on starting.

Oh, and by the way, DeMario averages the second most minutes per game of anyone on our team. But yeah, his minutes are definitely being limited by him not starting.[/quote]

You and I apparently disagree on how important the first four or five minutes of the game are.