Mayfield's role

A game-plan that I like:

Starters - Pierria, Denzel, E. Vic, Willie, Bras

Bench players (in order of minutes played) - DeMario, Darion, Terrence, JT, Benny

I didn’t include Thorne on here because I still think he’s very raw. He has to develop his game a little more, but I do think that he will begin to contribute next year.

Also, I know Bras has been incredibly frustrating since he got the starting spot, but I do think he has it in him to get it going again. I think it is going to take one big game, and then we’ll see the Bras of old.

[quote=“Chisox17, post:20, topic:27430”][quote=“wild-Bill49, post:19, topic:27430”]Remember when everyone on this board said Major was an idiot for not starting Bras and having him come off the bench? I personally love this idea. Mayfield’s minutes really don’t get cut if you think about it. The only way they get cut is if he played almost every minute of the game. Whether he sits out the first four minutes, or four minutes at a different point in the half, he still sits out four minutes. People get too hung up on starting.

Oh, and by the way, DeMario averages the second most minutes per game of anyone on our team. But yeah, his minutes are definitely being limited by him not starting.[/quote]

You and I apparently disagree on how important the first four or five minutes of the game are.[/quote]

I look at it as 5 different 4-minutes segments each half. The goal as a coach is to game-plan how to best win each segment. I think what Major wants to do is keep it close or be down by a basket (or winning obviously) in the first segment, then bring someone off the bench to lead the second and third segments on the offensive end. I really feel DeMario is the best fit for this.

The only time where I get really frustrated with Major is when the first segment is clearly going badly to the point where DeMario or other subs need to be made and he doesn’t. I get the game-plan, it’s just sometimes it needs to be adjusted within the game.

I know I have pointed this out in other threads but back in the 90s (92-93?) Tulane used to do a full 5 man switch at the 16 minute mark to add energy and aggressiveness to their play under Perry Clark. That year, their highest scorers were not their starters and I think they went to the second round of the NCAA and he was NCAA coach of the year. I am not saying this is the way it should be done, just pointing out that there are different schools of thought on how to use your best players.

[quote=“Chisox17, post:20, topic:27430”][quote=“wild-Bill49, post:19, topic:27430”]Remember when everyone on this board said Major was an idiot for not starting Bras and having him come off the bench? I personally love this idea. Mayfield’s minutes really don’t get cut if you think about it. The only way they get cut is if he played almost every minute of the game. Whether he sits out the first four minutes, or four minutes at a different point in the half, he still sits out four minutes. People get too hung up on starting.

Oh, and by the way, DeMario averages the second most minutes per game of anyone on our team. But yeah, his minutes are definitely being limited by him not starting.[/quote]

You and I apparently disagree on how important the first four or five minutes of the game are.[/quote]

I’m with you Chisox. And even though Mayfield is second in number of minutes, I still think his minutes are being impacted. Why would he not have 34-35 minutes a game?

But aside from guessing, what is unequivocably impacted is the maximum number of minutes Mayfield COULD play. He comes in at the 16 minute mark, and is on fire. He lost 4 minutes of potential play than if he started. Not to mention the second half lineup typically mirrors the first half, thus removing another 4 minutes of potential play. So his maximum of minutes is typically 32.

Like Chisox noted, there is a reason baseball managers put their best players first in a batting order, to increase the potential for more ABs. Same concept applies here.

If I remember correctly, though, the starting 5 for Tulane was to set the defensive tempo. There was a (slight) decrease in ability in most of the subs on that point. And they were awash with guards, but that’s besides the point.

Can anyone argue that TWill is better than Mayfield in any aspect? I would have before said Man D, but seems Mayfield is about as effective. Thus, why play someone over a better (even if only slightly better) player?

We have plenty of guys to come off the bench. We just don’t have enough starters.

We need 2 scorers plus whatever we can get out of Bras to be successful on offense. Most nights, we only have 1.

Well… problem solved. David Scott’s Twitter says he’s suspended indefinitely for violation of athletic department policy.

https://twitter.com/davidscott14/status/296742146524999682

And…this thread is over.

Alan Major: “We are disappointed in the decisions that DeMario has made which has led to the suspension."

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:30, topic:27430”]https://twitter.com/davidscott14/status/296745481072152576

Alan Major: “We are disappointed in the decisions that DeMario has made which has led to the suspension."[/quote]

Yeah and I am disappointed in the shit we have had to put up with over the past 7 years.

I know it says indefinite, but is there any sense that this is a few games thing… or is he done?

Third suspension in three years. Three strikes and you’re out kind of thing? I think he’s gone.

was this thread Mayfield’s role or Mayfield rolled another one???

[quote=“sokool, post:5, topic:27430”][quote=“X-49er, post:4, topic:27430”]From the article:

But the 49ers might have fared better in a 82-54 loss against George Washington had Mayfield been able to come in and potentially pprovide a spark, rather than be part of a sluggish Charlotte start that quickly dissolved into a blowout defeat.

Mayfield scored 9 of our first 11 points. We would have gotten smoked much earlier in the game had he not been in the starting lineup. He’s our best and most consistent player. He needs to be starting.[/quote]

AGREED … its absolutely ridiculous but so typical of Major ??? to even contemplate not starting Mayfield.

Could be some more interesting info/stories coming out about Mayfield soon, stay tuned. :-X[/quote]

THIS IS SOKOOLS FAULT

He graduated in Dec, highly doubt he’s here next season.

[quote=“sokool, post:5, topic:27430”][quote=“X-49er, post:4, topic:27430”]From the article:

But the 49ers might have fared better in a 82-54 loss against George Washington had Mayfield been able to come in and potentially pprovide a spark, rather than be part of a sluggish Charlotte start that quickly dissolved into a blowout defeat.

Mayfield scored 9 of our first 11 points. We would have gotten smoked much earlier in the game had he not been in the starting lineup. He’s our best and most consistent player. He needs to be starting.[/quote]

AGREED … its absolutely ridiculous but so typical of Major ??? to even contemplate not starting Mayfield.

Could be some more interesting info/stories coming out about Mayfield soon, stay tuned. :-X[/quote]

Sokool tried to tell us all

More:

[quote=“SF4Nynah, post:28, topic:27430”]Well… problem solved. David Scott’s Twitter says he’s suspended indefinitely for violation of athletic department policy.

https://twitter.com/davidscott14/status/296742146524999682[/quote]

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS OF 49ER BASKETBALL LIVES ON!!!

It is seriously scary how we deal with this type of sh!t every freaking year.
Literally…every freaking year.

Welp, it was fun while it lasted.