MBB transfer thread

If it stops here then this could be a net positive.

This gives them a chance to add some more bigs.

Bernang and Beans were basically dead salary.

Price had shown the ability to recruit well for the guards. He should be able to reload from QJ.

The bigs are the key thing here.

This is an opportunity people.

[quote=ā€œGassman, post:61, topic:30851ā€]If it stops here then this could be a net positive.

Price had shown the ability to recruit well for the guards. He should be able to reload from QJ.

This is an opportunity people.[/quote]

Iā€™m not even sure Tony Robbins would say that with a straight face

[quote=ā€œGassman, post:61, topic:30851ā€]If it stops here then this could be a net positive.

This is an opportunity people.[/quote]

Gassman doing his best Shawn Spicer impersonation.

hey! ā€œFactsā€ are Alternative.

D.O.B.A.

I have no idea how to trust this staff with building a program at all.
Recruiting has been borderline terrible (especially with bigs) and is very suspect at bestā€¦and we cannot stop the transfer issue even with a kid whose dad basically threw him at our feet.

Starting to feel like every year is groundhog day. Mass transfers with limited recruiting success = mediocre year in a bad conference.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Recruiting JD Andrien and Joe last minute was Excellent.

D.O.B.A.

I have no idea how to trust this staff with building a program at all.
Recruiting has been borderline terrible (especially with bigs) and is very suspect at bestā€¦and we cannot stop the transfer issue even with a kid whose dad basically threw him at our feet.

Starting to feel like every year is groundhog day. Mass transfers with limited recruiting success = mediocre year in a bad conference.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.[/quote]

QJ may not have been as good as advertisedā€¦ only price truly knows but if I recall correctly he didnā€™t impress last year in the high school playoffs against better HS talent, but by then he had an offer.

[quote=ā€œThreemire09, post:66, topic:30851ā€]Recruiting JD Andrien and Joe last minute was Excellent.[/quote]Curran was solid too, just wanted to be closer to home.

One thing in common with that class, it had a ton of openings. We have those again, lets see what they can pull off.

What are expectations for Devarte?

[quote=ā€œThreemire09, post:69, topic:30851ā€]What are expectations for Devarte?[/quote]I expect him to transfer based on history with this staff.

[quote=ā€œThreemire09, post:69, topic:30851ā€]What are expectations for Devarte?[/quote]Role player, should provide some needed interior defense and rebounding. Need more bigs to go along with him.

I am not torn up over these transfers. Part of it is because all together they did not add up to the answer, and individually only Jackson was likely to see playing time.

Bengang can now sit out a year and focus on eating Big Macs. Griciunas can move home and be the tallest whatever he does for a living because it probably will not be basketball unless he is willing to go play in Iran with Demario Mayfield. Jackson makes me scratch my head. His year did not seem productive enough to pull a Woods/Dorn. Maybe he goes to UNCW with all of our other transfers.

With stocks it is sometimes hard to sell a stinker at a loss, but you have to free up that capital to go buy better stocks. Gassman makes a good point that now we have three more scholarships to shop for better players. I wish we could have held onto Jackson because I thought he had a lot of upside, but his numbers are hardly irreplaceable. Now it is on the coach to show that he has been building a pipeline and can replace these guys with better players.

Problem is youā€™re unlikely to find a player better than Jackson this late in the game that can contribute next season.

It is clear we are not going to JUCO route, therefore we HAVE to have continuity with players sticking around and eventually being upperclassman. We arenā€™t going to start winning until we field a team of experienced juniors and seniors.

[quote=ā€œCharlotte2002, post:73, topic:30851ā€]Problem is youā€™re unlikely to find a player better than Jackson this late in the game that can contribute next season.

It is clear we are not going to JUCO route, therefore we HAVE to have continuity with players sticking around and eventually being upperclassman. We arenā€™t going to start winning until we field a team of experienced juniors and seniors.[/quote]White, Scott and JD were all late gets, all had better Freshmen campaigns.

[quote=ā€œmoss2k, post:74, topic:30851ā€][quote=ā€œCharlotte2002, post:73, topic:30851ā€]Problem is youā€™re unlikely to find a player better than Jackson this late in the game that can contribute next season.

It is clear we are not going to JUCO route, therefore we HAVE to have continuity with players sticking around and eventually being upperclassman. We arenā€™t going to start winning until we field a team of experienced juniors and seniors.[/quote]White, Scott and JD were all late gets, all had better Freshmen campaigns.[/quote]

I agree. There is stuff out there if we can get it.

I wonder if this can be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps we catch a run of graduated seniors and transfers. Two average bigs and a guard would replace the six players weā€™re losing.

Of course, I always the optimist.

Me am very worried.Me am afraid we might be in the abyss. Me have never seen our sports programs as bad as thisā€¦Nice to hear from Judy.

clt is looking forward to watching this yearā€™s NBA draft to see where beans ends up.

Not sure if it was mentioned here or in shoutbox, but QJ went to 4 highschools in 4 years. That right there shouldā€™ve been a red flag to a lot of people. After seeing that I wasnā€™t at all shocked he left, itā€™s the nature of many kids today especially AAU kids. ā€œYou donā€™t give me lots of PT, Iā€™m gone.ā€ and that appears to be the case here.
Iā€™m confident that Price can find a guard to replace him, but the bigs are what we desperately need right now. 2-3 of them to be exact if we want any chance of making noise, and not bigs like Benas or Bergang, same height by 30lbs heavier. Guys who can commit a post move to memory and can fight down low for rebounds.

Sadly, Q is an individual and apparently has trouble with team concept.
Thatā€™s the only thing Price needing to instill in him other than work ethic.
He only showed flashes of his potential this year, but I had hoped heā€™d be here as a Junior when he finally matured.
What we need to recruit is a ā€œgroupā€ of players that know each other and want to play together and stick it out.
Nice concept, if it could only be reality.
PLEASE MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAINā€¦ :frowning:

[quote=ā€œninerJ, post:79, topic:30851ā€]Sadly, Q is an individual and apparently has trouble with team concept.
Thatā€™s the only thing Price needing to instill in him other than work ethic.
He only showed flashes of his potential this year, but I had hoped heā€™d be here as a Junior when he finally matured.
What we need to recruit is a ā€œgroupā€ of players that know each other and want to play together and stick it out.
Nice concept, if it could only be reality.
PLEASE MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAINā€¦ :([/quote]Itā€™s tare to get a group that will stick together these days. With so many transfers in hoops, it makes me rethink the juco and transfer recruiting strategy. Used to be very opposed to building a team this way, but with so few guys actually staying four years, is rather get two years out of guys that might be more college ready than guys that arenā€™t