Metro grinding his axe against Judy again

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/05/04/1416461/fowler-out-as-nc-states-ad.html

Huge opportunity for Dubois to show he is serious about athletics. Fowler would be a major land and help us in the football transition. What an injection of energy to a dead fan base. What a rolodex this guy has and resources/contacts. He even throws his own golf classic for charity. He runs a clean program, and has raised $120m in 9 years for facilities. Biggest thing he would bring is the mindset of operating in a “big-time” mindset, and not running a program like everyone is on a tricycle.

“In Lee Fowler, NC State has one of the best athletic directors in the country. He has tremendous respect among our ACC athletic directors and nationally.”
– John Swofford
ACC Commissioner

http://www.gopack.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9200&ATCLID=697590

You can’t be serious. I mean really? Fowler? The guy that has presided over NC State mediocrity for years?

Dude I know you hate Judy but come on. You post crap like this and no one can take you seriously.

[quote=“MKNiner, post:2, topic:23217”]You can’t be serious. I mean really? Fowler? The guy that has presided over NC State mediocrity for years?

Dude I know you hate Judy but come on. You post crap like this and no one can take you seriously.[/quote]
I don’t hate Judy for the zillionth time, just think we aren’t reaching our potential with her, and slid backwards in 19 years, and marketing is god awful, and we have ZERO connection with the region.

Fowler would be instant upgrade.

Obviously.

Fowler would be instant upgrade.

A guy that couldn’t succeed at an ACC school with tons of support and tradition? Yeah…ok. :))

[quote=“Metro, post:3, topic:23217”][quote=“MKNiner, post:2, topic:23217”]You can’t be serious. I mean really? Fowler? The guy that has presided over NC State mediocrity for years?

Dude I know you hate Judy but come on. You post crap like this and no one can take you seriously.[/quote]
I don’t hate Judy for the zillionth time[/quote]

This thread has a lot of potential!

He’s got a nice windfall for the next few years…why not just get him involved in the football effort. You can not argue with the progress he made on facility upgrades.

I wonder if we could bring him in with a sort of “consultant” role. As someone who has presided over successful expansion (fiscally if not athletically) he might have some great ideas, contacts and insight to our current stadium project.

Is this real life right now?

No, you’re dreaming. You’ll wake up soon and it will all be over.

I could see him in that kind of role. He’s got the experience to be sure.

But there is zero to suggest he’d be able to be a good AD here when he was mediocre at best for MooU. Facilities are great but don’t do you much good when your teams suck out loud.

you’re kidding me right? If you want a new AD thats fine, you’re entitled to your own opinion - but at least go find someone who’s not a mediocre instate program’s leftovers.

I could see him in that kind of role. He’s got the experience to be sure.

But there is zero to suggest he’d be able to be a good AD here when he was mediocre at best for MooU. Facilities are great but don’t do you much good when your teams suck out loud.[/quote]

I’ll drink to that. I don’t see him as much of an upgrade over Judy, however I think it would be a good fit. He wants to take time off, this would be a less demanding role and he would keep his name floating around the industry.

I’m sensing a theme here…

Fowler was an awful AD.

Godawful terrible.

One of the worst in the country.

He made awful hires and ran off the best coach they’ve had since Valvano.

If he were brought on as our AD, I would sever ties with the program until he were fired.

I think metro started celebrating Cinco de Mayo this morning.

Only alcohol could explain this suggestion.

honest question, are you implying the Charlotte 49ers have stamped their brand on the minds of sports fans regionally the past 10 yrs, and not been mediocre?

sounds to me like you agree a big time football AD would be an excellent hire, but just now Fowler.

Lets be honest, its not like we can go hire an available BCS AD who is ranking his teams in hoops and football consistently (like OSU or UT).

Fowler would bring a way of business and culture change to “big time.”

[quote=“J Felt, post:16, topic:23217”]I think metro started celebrating Cinco de Mayo this morning.

Only alcohol could explain this suggestion.[/quote]

our program is sliding and sliding… and about to slide backwards again

we are INVISIBLE to the public and general sports fan, despite what 10 clowns on NNN think

I was truly shocked to open this thread and find that the title was not a joke.

[quote=“Metro, post:18, topic:23217”]our program is sliding and sliding… and about to slide backwards again

we are INVISIBLE to the public and general sports fan, despite what 10 clowns on NNN think[/quote]
How are we sliding? I haven’t felt our stock has risen faster than it is right now in a long time. We made a major shift in men’s basketball by firing a mediocre alumn. We took a chance on an assistant, but we made the statement that we want to be a consistant tourney team and if you can’t get us there, it doesn’t matter who you are, you are out. This time next year we will have a head football coach. in 3 and a half years we are playing football. We are getting a permanant football stadium and training facility. We have a new baseball stadium, and it is going to get that much nicer.

more to the point, we aren’t changing AD’s now. We are knee deep in football and title ix additions right now.