Metro grinding his axe against Judy again

honest question, are you implying the Charlotte 49ers have stamped their brand on the minds of sports fans regionally the past 10 yrs, and not been mediocre?

sounds to me like you agree a big time football AD would be an excellent hire, but just now Fowler.

Lets be honest, its not like we can go hire an available BCS AD who is ranking his teams in hoops and football consistently (like OSU or UT).

Fowler would bring a way of business and culture change to “big time.”[/quote]

Oh for heaven’s sake, metro.

Your suggestion for us to go “big time” is to hire an AD that just got fired because he brought down a program with a solid fanbase and history to “mediocre time”.

honest question, are you implying the Charlotte 49ers have stamped their brand on the minds of sports fans regionally the past 10 yrs, and not been mediocre?[/quote]

No, I’m saying your advocating for a guy that couldn’t succeed at NCState to come here is dumb. What possibly makes you think if he couldn’t get it done at NCState, with all the resources there, that he could get it done here with even fewer resources and mountains of additional challenges? Your sole purpose for bringing him on is he’s not Judy. You can’t make a case for him outside of that.

sounds to me like you agree a big time football AD would be an excellent hire, but just now Fowler.

Nothing big time about Fowler.

Fowler would bring a way of business and [u][b]culture change[/b][/u] to "big time."

A lot of good culture change does if it doesn’t include winning. He didn’t win at NCState.

our program is sliding and sliding.... and about to slide backwards again

Translation, you don’t like the hire of Major. Can I just say it’s pretty pathetic that you’re on here campaigning against Major when he’s not even coached a game yet. For someone who claims to “bleed green” you sure have a funny way of showing it.

Paul Griffin:

Former AD who presided over USF football from nothing to BCS, plus he has teflon hair. Now we can end this thread.

I have no problem with the Major hire MK, other that I wanted a media savvy guy who could grab the attn of the community. Go ask any common sports fan who Major is today uptown who our new coach is, and look at the blank stare.

Just don’t get the excitement over a kid who couldn’t sniff PT on a god awful UGA squad. But hey- to each his own.

Our brand today, is the lowest its been since the Sun Belt. Thats just a fact.

[quote=“ninerID, post:20, topic:23217”][quote=“Metro, post:18, topic:23217”]our program is sliding and sliding… and about to slide backwards again

we are INVISIBLE to the public and general sports fan, despite what 10 clowns on NNN think[/quote]
How are we sliding? I haven’t felt our stock has risen faster than it is right now in a long time. We made a major shift in men’s basketball by firing a mediocre alumn. We took a chance on an assistant, but we made the statement that we want to be a consistant tourney team and if you can’t get us there, it doesn’t matter who you are, you are out. This time next year we will have a head football coach. in 3 and a half years we are playing football. We are getting a permanant football stadium and training facility. We have a new baseball stadium, and it is going to get that much nicer.

more to the point, we aren’t changing AD’s now. We are knee deep in football and title ix additions right now.[/quote]
that is the most comical post on NNN is some time

INVISIBLE

Hell our own paper won’t even publish an article where we could land in the BCS conf domino effect…every other college town has had a piece. Because nobody cares about Charlotte athletics and the O knows it.

your post infers credit to Rose for football…she was Chineese volunteer along with CHP. Lets not be revisionist on history here. Mac Everett is the 49er football god. He

What good does a guy who can grab attention do if he can’t coach his way out of a paper bag? And you claim you don’t have an issue with it…but every post you make on the subject screams differently.

Our “brand” is low because we’ve had 5 straight seasons of total mediocrity (at best.) The idea that if we had a media savvy guy at the helm of the seasons we’ve had that somehow we’d be getting more coverage is monumentally absurd.

We’re adding football. We’ve just hired a new head coach for bball. Our golf team just won it’s 5th straight A-10 title and our baseball team is solid as always. We’re on the way up, and if Major is successful, we’ll keep going higher.

They say a frog will never jump out of the water if you start him in cold water and boil it he wont jump out, Judy supporters are similar

Honestly MK- golf and baseball are insignificant and proof how small your mindset is on this. Last i checked Memphis UL USF etc arent hanging their hat on olympic sports

[quote=“Metro, post:25, topic:23217”][quote=“ninerID, post:20, topic:23217”][quote=“Metro, post:18, topic:23217”]our program is sliding and sliding… and about to slide backwards again

we are INVISIBLE to the public and general sports fan, despite what 10 clowns on NNN think[/quote]
How are we sliding? I haven’t felt our stock has risen faster than it is right now in a long time. We made a major shift in men’s basketball by firing a mediocre alumn. We took a chance on an assistant, but we made the statement that we want to be a consistant tourney team and if you can’t get us there, it doesn’t matter who you are, you are out. This time next year we will have a head football coach. in 3 and a half years we are playing football. We are getting a permanant football stadium and training facility. We have a new baseball stadium, and it is going to get that much nicer.

more to the point, we aren’t changing AD’s now. We are knee deep in football and title ix additions right now.[/quote]
that is the most comical post on NNN is some time

INVISIBLE

Hell our own paper won’t even publish an article where we could land in the BCS conf domino effect…every other college town has had a piece. Because nobody cares about Charlotte athletics and the O knows it.

your post infers credit to Rose for football…she was Chineese volunteer along with CHP. Lets not be revisionist on history here. Mac Everett is the 49er football god. He[/quote]
Seriously dude? You have zero cred on this board to call anyone’s post comical.

First you’re arguing seperate points. Our stock value and stock direction. Currently our stock is low pretty sure everyone here feels that way. Nobody here is proud of our coverage, and a majority of people were happy with the coach change. However, I feel very confident in where it is going in the near future, who couldn’t with football on the horizon.

Second, I’m not a Rose fan by any means, I don’t give her any credit at all, on anything but faciliites (patiently waiting your Mullins built halton with his bare hands diatribe). I know the trigger on Lutz and football had little to do with her. Dubois gets credit for a lot of those, and yes mac helped. Oh and then there was me and the rest of CFI helping before that, in which I didn’t ever see you at any of those meetings.

Third, did you miss my post yesterday where I basically said that our AD should be contacting the Observer for an article on the expansions?

See, this is where you get it wrong. I’m not a Judy “supporter”. I have been critical of her on more than one occassion. But your constant criticism of her, some of it patently absurd like hiring Fowler, makes me want to defend her.

Honestly MK- golf and baseball are insignificant and proof how small your mindset is on this. Last i checked Memphis UL USF etc arent hanging their hat on olympic sports

My mistake. Here I thought an AD’s job was to work for the success of all the sports the university fields. ::slight_smile:

I want success and recognition for our entire program. Not just one sport. But your assertion that a media savvy coach would somehow keep us in the news after the seasons we’ve had is beyond stupid. Success brings recognition. We saw that this season when we started off so well. Numerous articles in the O about us. There have been many about football. None recently because there’s nothing much going on right now other than fund raising. Our school is in a better spot now than it has been in a very long time. That’s something to be excited about. The fact that you can’t get past your hatred of Judy (and yes, you really do hate her, it’s clear) to enjoy it speaks volumes. You want success for our school on your terms. If it comes by any other means then how you want it, it’s not worth it.

You don’t bleed green. You bleed metro.

So Metro, are you truly saying that the answer to our issues is to hire a mediocre, fired AD to improve our program? NC State is a program that has won National Championships in the past, but are pretty much irrelevant in the college sports world right now. The only reason they still have name recognition currently is because of their history, and they are in the ACC. They have great facilities, but they should, considering their number of alums. I would say that Rose is equal to, if not greater than Fowler in the Ad realm, especially considering the backing each has to work with (and I am not even a big Rose supporter).

I am all for an AD change, but now doesn’t seem to be the time and I really don’t think Fowler would be a good choice. He might have helped build facilities - but given the money that exists there how could he not succeed there? A zombie with a bad case of halitosis could raise money there. The product they put on the field and courts have been awful. We don’t have the built in base that they do and they only way that our base grows is by winning and we can see he sucked in that regard.

I do think we need a new AD, one that works with the media better, works with the community better and above all else has some vision. I just think we have to wait a little while longer.

[quote=“ninerID, post:20, topic:23217”][quote=“Metro, post:18, topic:23217”]our program is sliding and sliding… and about to slide backwards again

Bingo. Our stock in on the rise.

Fowler raised a lot of money for infrastructure, the same as Judy. Judy has made excellent hires. Fowler has not or at least they haven’t panned out yet. If we had football, Judy would have raised over 100 million too. It’s not her fault we don’t have football. I think everyone can agree on that.

How’s Steve Spurrier working out for SC?

This is funny coming from the dude who sat in Buzz Petersons jock for an extended time during the coaching search!

Zing!

So does Fowler get any credit when CJ Leslie takes them to sweet 16 nxt yr? That was huge get

So does Fowler get any credit when CJ Leslie takes them to sweet 16 nxt yr? That was huge get[/quote]

Yea, I remember hearing about all the in home visits he did with Leslie. Does he get credit when him and Harrow can’t share the ball, they implode, and then Leslie runs to the NBA?

So does Fowler get any credit when CJ Leslie takes them to sweet 16 nxt yr? That was huge get[/quote]

They aren’t going to anyone’s sweet 16 next year. It was a huge get by Sidney Lowe though.

They aren’t going to anyone’s sweet 16 next year. It was a huge get by Sidney Lowe though.[/quote]

It all falls under the AD. You said they arent relevant.
Fowler had the program relevant enough to get a stud. You cant have it both ways

Metro - If you are saying that Fowler should be consulted with regarding football and starting the program, then I’m fine with that. He could be on staff or just under contract as a consultant through the next few years and that could be a big help, but I doubt he would be interested.

If you are saying he needs to replace Judy, then you are way off base. I agree with some of the previous comments about our ‘brand’ and marketing and coverage etc etc. But a HUGE part of that has been mediocre basketball and I’m pretty sure we can all agree that it took BALLS to fire Lutz and publicly put her ass on the line in saying we need a change, leadership, something new etc etc etc. So why would she be replaced now? If three or four years from now, our football efforts are shoddy and basketball has not improved, then fine, Phil needs to step up and clean house.