Metro grinding his axe against Judy again

I’ve never been one to sing Judy’s praises as AD. I’m as critical (and often cynical) about the situation as anyone else. However, to think Fowler would solve ANY of the current issues at hand is simply ludicrous. be for real.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:23, topic:23217”]Paul Griffin:

Former AD who presided over USF football from nothing to BCS, plus he has teflon hair. Now we can end this thread.[/quote]

^^^^^^^^If Judy gets canned there is only 1 man for the job!^^^^^^^^^

[quote=“Metro, post:1, topic:23217”]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/05/04/1416461/fowler-out-as-nc-states-ad.html

He runs a clean program, and has raised $120m in 9 years for facilities.

http://www.gopack.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9200&ATCLID=697590[/quote]

Make no mistake, Phillip Rivers raised $120m in 4 years. EOD. And their were many beneficiaries among those Amato and Rose. Once he left the facade was lifted.

Bobby took us places we’d hadn’t been since Rose.[/quote]

No, he didn’t.[/quote]

Yes he did—2nd round NCAA -----and YES, I know Watkins was HC for 2 of those, but Bobby was running that show as it was well known.

[quote=“punkrockcowboy, post:54, topic:23217”][quote=“Metro, post:3, topic:23217”]I don’t hate Judy for the zillionth time, just think we aren’t reaching our potential with her, and slid backwards in 19 years, and marketing is god awful, and we have ZERO connection with the region.

Fowler would be instant upgrade.[/quote]

Judy has hired good coaches… you are right about the marketing and connection to the region. I’m not advocating her dismissal, but we really really need to get on the marketing thing. With this many people at school/in town it’s a shame that we don’t average around 8,000+ people a game.[/quote]

We have averaged ~8000/game (or VERY Close to it) several times since Halton opened.

If C J Leslie can give NC State the time of day, then we would still stand a chance with Rodney.

No, he didn’t.[/quote]
Yes he did. Mullins brought us back from no where, but he still had some pretty down years. For a decent stretch with Bobby, we actually mattered and stayed relevant. (Watkins did well too, but I’m forgoing his contribution due to the brevity of his term here.)

Is that Bobby’s fault or Judy’s?[/quote]
Damn fair question. Lutz has blame.

Much of whats all being discussed here is chicken vs egg.

Could Lutz win with what was provided? I say no. I am sure Major will get whatever he wants since her job dangles on his success.

To win it takes a group effort. Marketing, TV, legit branding, good coaching, and community engagement. Some of you argue winning must be first, how do you get legit kids and win with no TV or even a TV coaches show? Sorry that falls on AD. Like i said, dont be surprised if we suddenly buy TV time.

CHP and Judy put pass the buck too much.

Also note- the single biggest problem is the largest donors are still people half engaged, 75 yrs old, and no passion for 49ers. Alum have no control of this program. None. They are happy with status quo.[/quote]

How did Butler win, or George Mason? When Butler started winning consistently, they were not on TV much and no one knew who they were. Their name picked up steam after they started winning. Same thing with Gonzaga. George Mason didn’t have any big name recruits, but they made it to the Final Four.

If you are able to find good talent, are then coached well, and start winning consistently, you become more and more relevant and marketable. Then, at that time, ESPN and other national networks will be asking to put you on TV. You are correct in saying it is a group effort, but the key and foremost components are good coaching and winning.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:62, topic:23217”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:23, topic:23217”]Paul Griffin:

Former AD who presided over USF football from nothing to BCS, plus he has teflon hair. Now we can end this thread.[/quote]

^^^^^^^^If Judy gets canned there is only 1 man for the job!^^^^^^^^^[/quote]I’d give my first born to have him.

No, he didn’t.[/quote]
Yes he did. Mullins brought us back from no where, but he still had some pretty down years. For a decent stretch with Bobby, we actually mattered and stayed relevant. (Watkins did well too, but I’m forgoing his contribution due to the brevity of his term here.)[/quote]

Your statement is wrong. Melvin Watkins took us to the second round back to back years. Bobby never surpassed that. He did not take us somewhere we hadn’t been since Lee Rose. It is awfully convenient that you are “forgoing [Watkins’] contribution due to the brevity of his term here,” considering it completely sinks your argument.

Bobby also peaked his first year here. He took over a program that was relevant and by the time he was fired we were largely irrelevant.

[quote=“Metro, post:69, topic:23217”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:62, topic:23217”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:23, topic:23217”]Paul Griffin:

^^^^^^^^If Judy gets canned there is only 1 man for the job!^^^^^^^^^[/quote]I’d give my first born to have him.[/quote]

What other sports are USF relevant? I’m not trying to be funning, I just really don’t know.

I just told my boss (a long-time NCSU booster) “Soooo…guess who’s somehow made it into a ridiculous discussion on NN.N about getting hired for our AD job???”

I then showed him this thread.

That was five minutes ago. He’s still laughing about it. He also showed me this (which I myself am still laughing about):

Lee’s Twitter Page

Could Lutz win with what was provided? I say no. I am sure Major will get whatever he wants since her job dangles on his success.

To win it takes a group effort. Marketing, TV, legit branding, good coaching, and community engagement. Some of you argue winning must be first, how do you get legit kids and win with no TV or even a TV coaches show? Sorry that falls on AD. Like i said, dont be surprised if we suddenly buy TV time.

Also note- the single biggest problem is the largest donors are still people half engaged, 75 yrs old, and no passion for 49ers. Alum have no control of this program. None. They are happy with status quo.[/quote]

How did Butler win, or George Mason? When Butler started winning consistently, they were not on TV much and no one knew who they were. Their name picked up steam after they started winning. Same thing with Gonzaga. George Mason didn’t have any big name recruits, but they made it to the Final Four.

If you are able to find good talent, are then coached well, and start winning consistently, you become more and more relevant and marketable. Then, at that time, ESPN and other national networks will be asking to put you on TV. You are correct in saying it is a group effort, but the key and foremost components are good coaching and winning.[/quote]
George Mason is not a good program. Flash in the pan. Bad example. We have far outperformed them the last decade. FWIW, you don’t understand TV at all. I am not talking about ESPN. The A10 doesn’t even have a deal with espn, but CSTV. I am speaking in terms of producing local aired games that we refuse to invest in. You don’t think in CUSA that sold kids? Hell we were on “rivalry week” on espn.

You could of taken the $935k we owe Lutz and bought 23 games on air at 40k per game. Its odd we “find” the money to buyout a coach and point fingers, yet won’t grow the brand with investment on TV to obtain better players.

What kid in NC wants to play for a team him family and friends in Charlotte will never see on TV?? 17 yr olds want to be on TV.

[quote=“49erDrummer, post:72, topic:23217”]I just told my boss (a long-time NCSU booster) “Soooo…guess who’s somehow made it into a ridiculous discussion on NN.N about getting hired for our AD job???”

I then showed him this thread.

That was five minutes ago. He’s still laughing about it. He also showed me this (which I myself am still laughing about):

Lee’s Twitter Page[/quote]

Ching Chong Mirrryun buck! hahaha

[quote=“ice_cold49er, post:71, topic:23217”][quote=“Metro, post:69, topic:23217”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:62, topic:23217”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:23, topic:23217”]Paul Griffin:

^^^^^^^^If Judy gets canned there is only 1 man for the job!^^^^^^^^^[/quote]I’d give my first born to have him.[/quote]

What other sports are USF relevant? I’m not trying to be funning, I just really don’t know.[/quote]who the hell cares!!! They are in a BCS league getting $8 million per year from it.

you’d rather have solid mens tennis and golf than get in a BCS league???

see the macro

No, he didn’t.[/quote]
Yes he did. Mullins brought us back from no where, but he still had some pretty down years. For a decent stretch with Bobby, we actually mattered and stayed relevant. (Watkins did well too, but I’m forgoing his contribution due to the brevity of his term here.)[/quote]

Your statement is wrong. Melvin Watkins took us to the second round back to back years. Bobby never surpassed that. He did not take us somewhere we hadn’t been since Lee Rose. It is awfully convenient that you are “forgoing [Watkins’] contribution due to the brevity of his term here,” considering it completely sinks your argument.

Bobby also peaked his first year here. He took over a program that was relevant and by the time he was fired we were largely irrelevant.[/quote]
lol no. Re: Dismissal of Watkins, it’s just like when they put a minimum number of shots taken to be a 3pt % records leader. I had that mentality from the outset of my argument.

By where he took us I was not solely looking at placing in the tournament as that doesn’t really do justice to a season’s worth of work and there are other factors to consider like maintained success. We were the most relevant we had been since our Final Four run due to several NCAA berths and regular season success with few down years.

Re: Bobby peaking first year, this is quite inaccurate. He won the conference tourney is first year, but also his third. He had several more NCAA berths and 20 win seasons after his first year as well. His best regular season came in his seventh year as HC.

[quote=“metro, post:75, topic:23217”][quote=“ice_cold49er, post:71, topic:23217”][quote=“Metro, post:69, topic:23217”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:62, topic:23217”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:23, topic:23217”]Paul Griffin:

What other sports are USF relevant? I’m not trying to be funning, I just really don’t know.[/quote]who the hell cares!!! They are in a BCS league getting $8 million per year from it.

you’d rather have solid mens tennis and golf than get in a BCS league? ???

see the macro[/quote]

I want Griffin because our major task for the next 2 decades will be to build our football program from scratch to BCS caliber and this man has first hand knowledge of just how to do that. I don’t know ANYONE else that has those specific qualifications. I would hope that Coach Major and/or his successors would be capable of managing basketball at a reasonably high level so that the AD could focus on making football a success without having to devote too much attention to other sports.

new piece up
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/05/05/1416569/fowler-leaves-legacy.html

Many other athletic offices around the ACC and the rest of the country had praise for Fowler:

“Lee did a very, very good job when you look at the status of that program and the coaches involved and the administrators that he’s been able to attract to the program as well as the facility improvements that have been made over his 10 years,” Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman said. “It’s one of the real success stories in college athletics. He is a highly respected athletic director.”

“I have known Lee for a long time, and it’s been my pleasure to work with him in matters relating to our two institutions and also in ACC matters,” UNC athletic director Dick Baddour said. “He’s a class guy who does things in a first-class way, and the ACC will miss him.”

“Lee has made numerous positive contributions to the ACC during his tenure as the athletics director at N.C. State,” ACC commissioner John Swofford said in a prepared statement. “He’ll be missed by his many friends throughout the conference, and we all wish him and his family the best of luck in their next chapter.”

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/05/05/1416569/fowler-leaves-legacy.html#ixzz0n50ZSU3B

If you are able to find good talent, are then coached well, and start winning consistently, you become more and more relevant and marketable. Then, at that time, ESPN and other national networks will be asking to put you on TV. You are correct in saying it is a group effort, but the key and foremost components are good coaching and winning.[/quote]
George Mason is not a good program. Flash in the pan. Bad example. We have far outperformed them the last decade. FWIW, you don’t understand TV at all. I am not talking about ESPN. The A10 doesn’t even have a deal with espn, but CSTV. I am speaking in terms of producing local aired games that we refuse to invest in. You don’t think in CUSA that sold kids? Hell we were on “rivalry week” on espn.

You could of taken the $935k we owe Lutz and bought 23 games on air at 40k per game. Its odd we “find” the money to buyout a coach and point fingers, yet won’t grow the brand with investment on TV to obtain better players.

What kid in NC wants to play for a team him family and friends in Charlotte will never see on TV?? 17 yr olds want to be on TV.[/quote]

17 year olds want to be on National TV. You must not understand TV if you think that these kids are concerned about being on locally aired games. These kids want to get their names out to the nation, not just in the region they are playing in. Plus, I understand that the A-10 doesn’t have a deal with ESPN, but I was just using them as an example of a network that’s at least national. My point was that if you are a winning team national networks will want to put on more of your non-conference & conference games.

Also, George Mason might have been a flash in the pan, but their performance that year of being well coached, lesser known players, got them notoriety. Nationally, no one knew who they were, but it was the winning on a national stage that made them known.

No, he didn’t.[/quote]

Bobby also peaked his first year here. He took over a program that was relevant and by the time he was fired we were largely irrelevant.[/quote]
lol no. Re: Dismissal of Watkins, it’s just like when they put a minimum number of shots taken to be a 3pt % records leader. I had that mentality from the outset of my argument.

By where he took us I was not solely looking at placing in the tournament as that doesn’t really do justice to a season’s worth of work and there are other factors to consider like maintained success. We were the most relevant we had been since our Final Four run do to several NCAA berths and regular season success with few down years.

Re: Bobby peaking first year, this is quite inaccurate. He won the conference tourney is first year, but also his third. He had several more NCAA berths and 20 win seasons after his first year as well. His best regular season came in his seventh year as HC.[/quote]

We were a 5 seed in his first year, a 7th seed in the “best regular season” as HC. He took over a program that was on the rise and had back to back second round games. We only made the second round because we had a lottery pick in his third year and we were a 9 seed that year.

Years 1-3, two second round games, one NIT.
Years 4-7, 3 first round exits, one tournament no show.
Years 8-12 Two NITs, 3 no shows.

And you’re dismissing something that did happen, something that Mullins hadn’t done, something that no coach since Lee Rose had been able to do, and that was Watkins taking our team to the second round.