Michigan Post Mortem. RIP Niner Basketball. Worst beat down in our D1 history.

I know emotions are running high, but I couldn’t disagree more on getting rid of players. If they stay in good standing academically and give the required effort, then they stay.

It’s not their fault that it’s just not happening for them despite recruiting profiles, perceived talent, etc. this happens to players all the time. It’s just magnified right now because most of our team left us.

Talent evaluation is part of coaching and part of this business. You have to take the good with the bad.

The last thing we want to develop is a reputation that we don’t hold faith with our players. That’s a recipe for failure. The same reason we let Majors players walk is the same reason we hold faith with these guys for good or bad.

The same thing applies to the program as a whole. We have to stick to our guns with this hire and see what he can do. If he proves to not be any good, then he needs to be released after being given a fair chance. If he proves to be good, he needs to be offered an extension and raise.

The ADs poor handling of our coaching situation is what got us here. the time for those types of poor thought out decisions is over. The only way we get back to competitiveness is to stick to our guns and make reasoned and thoughtful decisions regarding this program.

God willing Price will prove to be a good recruiter and coach.

If not this will be another sad chapter in the UNCC coaching saga, and we will suffer another 5 years.

I am in the bandwagon that if we can get a couple decent bigs in, we are going to get better fast next year. Challenging for cusa title, no, but competitive. We have some guard talent, just need the bigs to match.

I know emotions are running high, but I couldn’t disagree more on getting rid of players. If they stay in good standing academically and give the required effort, then they stay.

It’s not their fault that it’s just not happening for them despite recruiting profiles, perceived talent, etc. this happens to players all the time. It’s just magnified right now because most of our team left us.

Talent evaluation is part of coaching and part of this business. You have to take the good with the bad.

The last thing we want to develop is a reputation that we don’t hold faith with our players. That’s a recipe for failure. The same reason we let Majors players walk is the same reason we hold faith with these guys for good or bad.

The same thing applies to the program as a whole. We have to stick to our guns with this hire and see what he can do. If he proves to not be any good, then he needs to be released after being given a fair chance. If he proves to be good, he needs to be offered an extension and raise.

The ADs poor handling of our coaching situation is what got us here. the time for those types of poor thought out decisions is over. The only way we get back to competitiveness is to stick to our guns and make reasoned and thoughtful decisions regarding this program.

God willing Price will prove to be a good recruiter and coach.

If not this will be another sad chapter in the UNCC coaching saga, and we will suffer another 5 years.

I am in the bandwagon that if we can get a couple decent bigs in, we are going to get better fast next year. Challenging for cusa title, no, but competitive. We have some guard talent, just need the bigs to match.[/quote]

Cusa is horrid. If we add a couple good bigs, we could win conference next season. I don’t want to flat out cut players but be honest and tell them they’re not gonna play much.

That reality make have hit already for some.

As far as Blakley goes, isn’t he an above average student?

He probably has his eyes firmly on a degree.

To turn this around, there is little room for recruiting mistakes. When Jeff Mullins rescued our program, he made very few bad decisions with scholarship offers early on. Price has already made several evidently. With more time to recruit, hopefully Price identifies and signs more sure fire prospects.

I don’t think he,had much choice. I think he brought in two kids who could be starters in white and Davis and the rest could be solid role players. Scott imo is somewhere in between. I sort of wish he had saved one,of those schollies.

Lost to tourney winner by 13, got blown out last night mainly due to size and experience. Hang in there.

You challenge guys to improve, with the understanding that if they don’t by a large amount, they will not be getting pt very soon. It’s fair to let them know where they stand, while asking them to commit to making themselves better. Some players will stick around and try to make themselves better (sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t), some will transfer and maybe say they were told to leave, we won’t know since we never get the full story.

That’s more of a question for later though. I want to see the post guys improve this year.

That said, Uchebo is playing well enough that it’s not just the post that is having problems. Our guards are young and inexperienced, but it’s really the whole team that is struggling. We focus on the post because we seem to not have as many players there, but our guards are an issue too (potential, but not realized just yet). Plenty of teams are competitive playing 4 guard lineups, so I think it’s an equally big issue that our guards aren’t ready yet.

The other issue is our upperclassmen are not stepping up like they need to. Sullivan and Ogbueze have run very hot and cold.

Wow. That is all

[quote=“Ninerfan2012, post:32, topic:29997”]Also :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

As funny as most of this thread is, this is hysterical! Well done.

^i can’t take credit for it

Well it going to be next year again for several more years. You just didn’t appreciate what we had in Lutz who was our best coach in school history, and if you want to argue about that I’ll show you his record and achievements and rub your nose in it. Judy didn’t like him but who cares what she thinks because she ran off Watkins as well by not extending his contract and giving him a raise. Lutz saved our ass and we stood by and let Judy go on this 10 year stretch without basketball at the school. There is no hope as far as we can see into the future of approaching the success of Lutz here, and a new coach in college basketball is a long way from having success in division I. Pipe dreams are all that’s left when you start saying things like if we can get a couple of good bigs for next season. Well good bigs are not going to want to play for a team that can’t win but a hand full of games, and who can blame them. Face reality and quit the pipe dreams.

Good thing Jeff Mullins didn’t have this opinion.

Unlike football you can only play 5 at a time.  A top single recruit with with good role players do pretty well in D1.  I'm convinced Price will be able to recruit so some of you are being way too negative.  That beat down Thursday was a combination of everything going wrong.  Last night you saw a great performance from Uchebo and a horrible game by Ogbueze, yet we led most of the way and could have won.  Washington had a top ten class and was not a bad team.                                                                                                                                      As far as Lutz goes, so many of you have selective memories.  We took beat downs and as the recruiting got worse, so did our quality of play.  Our successes in the late 90's carried over after Melvin left as our reputation helped his initial years recruiting (Rodney White) but as the years passed the downtrend continued.  Yes we had a few signature wins but it got really bad toward the end.  I'm not saying Lutz can't coach but either inferior talent or low basketball IQ contributed to poor performances you could see on the court. Heck even Major had a few signature wins.                                                                                                        Give Price time and I'm confident he'll bring us back.  Already we can see signs of  the raw inexperienced talent improving.  Everybody just step back from the ledge and take a deep breath.  We'll be alright.

clt loves your work on its always sunny.

Revisionist history at it’s finest. Nobody ran Melvin off. Texas A & M made him an offer he couldn’t refuse and we couldn’t come close to matching today much less 15 years ago.

But let’s not let facts ruin a good rant…

[quote=“greenman, post:51, topic:29997”]Well it going to be next year again for several more years. You just didn’t appreciate what we had in Lutz who was our best coach in school history, and if you want to argue about that I’ll show you his record and achievements and rub your nose in it. Judy didn’t like him but who cares what she thinks because she ran off Watkins as well by not extending his contract and giving him a raise. Lutz saved our ass and we stood by and let Judy go on this 10 year stretch without basketball at the school. There is no hope as far as we can see into the future of approaching the success of Lutz here, and a new coach in college basketball is a long way from having success in division I. Pipe dreams are all that’s left when you start saying things like if we can get a couple of good bigs for next season. Well good bigs are not going to want to play for a team that can’t win but a hand full of games, and who can blame them. Face reality and quit the pipe dreams.[/quote] Welcome back. Up to now I’ve had to rely on people running for president for my daily quotient of crazy.

I never said that we could match Texas A&M’s offer but Watkins wanted to stay but he was looking for at least a reasonable good faith offer and to extend his contract long term because he didn’t really trust Judy to not fire him in a down season which everybody will have just as Lutz did. Think before you jump.

It’s been a while and I drinks a bit but I swear I remember Melvin saying he didn’t want us to try to make and offer and become a “bidding war” that we basically couldn’t win.

[quote=“greenman, post:57, topic:29997”]I never said that we could match Texas A&M’s offer but Watkins wanted to stay but he was looking for at least a reasonable good faith offer and to extend his contract long term because he didn’t really trust Judy to not fire him in a down season which everybody will have just as Lutz did. Think before you jump.[/quote]Well, Lutz had more than just 1 down season. He had his shot and it didn’t work out, just like with Major.

[quote=“2k, post:59, topic:29997”][quote=“greenman, post:57, topic:29997”]I never said that we could match Texas A&M’s offer but Watkins wanted to stay but he was looking for at least a reasonable good faith offer and to extend his contract long term because he didn’t really trust Judy to not fire him in a down season which everybody will have just as Lutz did. Think before you jump.[/quote]Well, Lutz had more than just 1 down season. He had his shot and it didn’t work out, just like with Major.[/quote] Lutz was doomed when CHP took over as Chancellor in my opinion. Oil and water. There can only be one smartest guy in the room and Phil wants it to be him. Also, Bobby just isn’t an appletini sort of guy as Phil likes.

There was that pesky problem of having no recruits lined up that helped to justify his being let go, too.

Why are we talking about this, anyway? Oh yea, Greenman.