Mike Gerrity more hurt than help?

Hey guys,

I understand that everyone has mixed feelings on whether Gerrity or Harris is a better PG. I also realize that we have discovered that our team is not so great on the road, as they dropped the last two to subpar teams. Maybe it isn’t just the fact that those were road games though that hurt us.

Does anyone else feel that even though Gerrity may be a more skilled PG, that adding him to our lineup has disrupted chemistry? I feel that before we added him, our team was beginning to truly mesh. However, I think that with his addition, the chemistry has fallen off track and that it has taken a toll on our team. Like the old cliche goes, “Why mess with success?” I’m hoping that this works itself out over time, as it should naturally.

Any thoughts?

Hey guys,

I understand that everyone has mixed feelings on whether Gerrity or Harris is a better PG. I also realize that we have discovered that our team is not so great on the road, as they dropped the last two to subpar teams. Maybe it isn’t just the fact that those were road games though that hurt us.

Does anyone else feel that even though Gerrity may be a more skilled PG, that adding him to our lineup has disrupted chemistry? I feel that before we added him, our team was beginning to truly mesh. However, I think that with his addition, the chemistry has fallen off track and that it has taken a toll on our team. Like the old cliche goes, “Why mess with success?” I’m hoping that this works itself out over time, as it should naturally.

Any thoughts?

No. Gerrity did not cause the losses. Not hitting free throws is one reason. Tulsa was flat out hot. Shot selection was piss poor against Hofstra

Gerrity did not force the guys to shoot 35 threes against Hofstra. I think the Hofstra game was bad habits. Tulsa was just better.

Nope Gerrity did not force the 3’s, Lutz did. That’s what he wants. 95% of the time if Ian shoots a 3, it was a called play. Lets just say Lutz didn’t call all 35 3’s, but I would be willing to bet that he called for at least 28 of them.

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;278500]No. Gerrity did not cause the losses. Not hitting free throws is one reason. Tulsa was flat out hot. Shot selection was piss poor against Hofstra

Gerrity did not force the guys to shoot 35 threes against Hofstra. I think the Hofstra game was bad habits. Tulsa was just better.[/QUOTE]

we were 11-13 at the line against hofstra.

I didn’t watch the game, for those that watched it, is it possible that with the addition of new PG, teams were confused on the offense and leads to jacking up threes ?

I personally believe in “don’t mess with success” theory. If we were having success with Harris at point, let him run the show…

[QUOTE=walaboom;278525]I didn’t watch the game, for those that watched it, is it possible that with the addition of new PG, teams were confused on the offense and leads to jacking up threes ?

I personally believe in “don’t mess with success” theory. If we were having success with Harris at point, let him run the show…[/QUOTE]
it also did not help at all that both point guards were in foul trouble against tulsa either.

We didn’t jack up threes against Tulsa, but we also didn’t really look to shoot it until it was too late.

We also lost to Monmouth without Gerrity.

Our biggest problem,to me,is that our inside guys don’t seem to be very good shooters.Is it just me,or does it seem like we miss an awful lot of shots from 10 feet and in…even layups?

If we lose one of our next two home games with Gerrity at the point, we have a problem.

Grab a damn rebound. Lee is probably the best rebounder on the team. Box somebody out. Be a tough guy.

Only problem I see when Gerrity is in the game is that we run too many clearouts for him. Run a play, if it doesn’t work, then run an iso.

This topic is ridiculous. A new player we’re all excited about…we lose two tough games and people already want to hate him. Sheesh. We’re a young team…we expected this. Gerrity just played his first game as a Niner. We will improve.

I think it definitely hurt having him on the court in the sense that he was playing a different game from the rest of our team. And it hurt because with Harris and Gerrity splitting time, our team lacked an identity.

I think he is a better player and may make us a better team, but I can’t say one way or the other. I don’t think he is leaps and bounds better than Harris though, as some had expoused. I also don’t think he is as weak defensively as we were lead to believe. But, I just hope that the team learns to play with Gerrity instead of against him as it looked like we were playing against Tulsa. He was cutting to the basket and expecting the open man to be in one place when he was in an entirely different place. So, he would dribble out and try to reset the play. That happened a few times in the Tulsa game. And, it is great to have a guy who can handle the rock so well, but he holds on to the ball a lot. He keeps it moving, which is nice, and I am not worried about him turning it over, but I feel like some of our guys stop moving when they don’t see the ball earlier in the shot clock. Sometimes the team just watched Gerrity dribble.

Granted, I did not see the Hofstra game, so I can’t speak to that, but I think if these guys can gel with Gerrity (which I don’t think they have), then he will be a better answer. But I also hope that if he does become our starting PG (which I am sure he will), then it is because the team is working with him. I am happy with the rotations this year, Bobby hasn’t latched onto any player (except maybe mack, but a case could be made that we are weak in the front court) and he has been good at keeping hot players in the game.

I think it definitely hurt having him on the court in the sense that he was playing a different game from the rest of our team. And it hurt because with Harris and Gerrity splitting time, our team lacked an identity.

I think he is a better player and may make us a better team, but I can’t say one way or the other. I don’t think he is leaps and bounds better than Harris though, as some had expoused. I also don’t think he is as weak defensively as we were lead to believe. But, I just hope that the team learns to play with Gerrity instead of against him as it looked like we were playing against Tulsa. He was cutting to the basket and expecting the open man to be in one place when he was in an entirely different place. So, he would dribble out and try to reset the play. That happened a few times in the Tulsa game. And, it is great to have a guy who can handle the rock so well, but he holds on to the ball a lot. He keeps it moving, which is nice, and I am not worried about him turning it over, but I feel like some of our guys stop moving when they don’t see the ball earlier in the shot clock. Sometimes the team just watched Gerrity dribble.

Granted, I did not see the Hofstra game, so I can’t speak to that, but I think if these guys can gel with Gerrity (which I don’t think they have), then he will be a better answer. But I also hope that if he does become our starting PG (which I am sure he will), then it is because the team is working with him. I am happy with the rotations this year, Bobby hasn’t latched onto any player (except maybe mack, but a case could be made that we are weak in the front court) and he has been good at keeping hot players in the game.

Harris doesn’t help us any on offense. He doesn’t have very good assists, as most of his assists are simply toss it to Leemire around the perimeter for three, and he has no real offensive game of his own. If this team is going to get better, especially inside, then it will come with Gerrity.

Gerrity hasn’t really shone in the offensive category and his assists aren’t much better, honestly. Phil Jones is better at feeding the post than either of those guys have been. His passes to Coley usually lead to easy buckets, the same when he fed Wilderness in the low post against WFU.

So, unless I missed a passing seminar against Hofstra, I fail to see your point.

Well it seemed like Gerrity was always looking to set someone up but everyone else expected him to score. I think things will be a lot different at home. This team is a lot different at home.

Gerrity hasn't really shone in the offensive category and his assists aren't much better, honestly. Phil Jones is better at feeding the post than either of those guys have been. His passes to Coley usually lead to easy buckets, the same when he fed Wilderness in the low post against WFU.

So, unless I missed a passing seminar against Hofstra, I fail to see your point.

The announcers kept pointing out once Gerrity would drive in, the post players would either A) Look dazed and confused or B) Get the ball and be timid with it. It isn’t Gerrity’s fault that our post players don’t have any post moves once he gets them the ball in good position. That needs to be worked on with the coaches.

[QUOTE=ninerball49;278579]Well it seemed like Gerrity was always looking to set someone up but everyone else expected him to score. I think things will be a lot different at home. This team is a lot different at home.[/QUOTE]

Possibly. I don’t really know why the offense wasn’t more effective with him in the game, but he certainly didn’t make our offense tick. He provided a spark vs Hofstra, every agrees on that, but then he has been there ever since. He certainly didn’t get our offense going vs Tulsa and we are winless with him on the team.

But, I don’t blame him for that. I just am curious what we will be like with him at the helm over out next two home games. If we lose one of those, the seed of doubt for M. Gerrity will be planted in my mind.

[QUOTE=eason49;278582]The announcers kept pointing out once Gerrity would drive in, the post players would either A) Look dazed and confused or B) Get the ball and be timid with it. It isn’t Gerrity’s fault that our post players don’t have any post moves once he gets them the ball in good position. That needs to be worked on with the coaches.[/QUOTE]

So, you’re saying Gerrity didn’t make offense any better, neat.