Mike Thorne - 2011 PF/C - signed LOI with Charlotte

Early signings are nice to see, especially with a big guy. Can’t wait to see what november brings.

[quote=“cdsniner, post:20, topic:23561”][quote=“jfickett, post:19, topic:23561”]Is there any footage of this guy?

I’m very excited that we’re bringing in a player for Major to develop, I really want to see what a “big man coach” can do with a kid like Thorne that has size and some raw ability…should be fun to watch this guy become more polished over the next few years!

Congratulations to Major and his crew for their first signing of the 2011 class! Now lets go get Eli Carter, Terrence Williams and E. Vick. Nick.![/quote]

Fixed.

Welcome aboard Mike![/quote]

Fixed Again.

Good news! When will he sign? Or is he already signed? That would be nice if he is starting to get a lot more attention now.

Will be interested to see what Major can do with him, sounds like a player with a lot of potential if he develops.

[quote=“9erken, post:23, topic:23561”]Good news! When will he sign? Or is he already signed? That would be nice if he is starting to get a lot more attention now.

Will be interested to see what Major can do with him, sounds like a player with a lot of potential if he develops.[/quote]

He has not signed, signing period is around November, IIRC.

this kid had a marquette offer and maryland was interested so this is a decent committment. i wonder how this affects the recruitment of deng leek. thorne at pf and leek at c would give us good size. we now need to land some combination of nickerson, parker and carter. two out of three would be great. i dont think nelson is a huge loss. welcome mike.

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:25, topic:23561”]this kid had a marquette offer and maryland was interested so this is a decent committment. i wonder how this affects the recruitment of deng leek. thorne at pf and leek at c would give us good size. we now need to land some combination of nickerson, parker and carter. two out of three would be great. i dont think nelson is a huge loss. welcome mike.[/quote]You left out Terrence Williams. I see our odds of landing him being higher than those for Parker.

I assume I saw the staff enjoying a victory dinner at Harpers on Saturday night.

Good stuff

[quote author=2k link=topic=27342.msg482713#msg482713 date=1285004111]

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:25, topic:23561”]this kid had a marquette offer and maryland was interested so this is a decent committment. i wonder how this affects the recruitment of deng leek. thorne at pf and leek at c would give us good size. we now need to land some combination of nickerson, parker and carter. two out of three would be great. i dont think nelson is a huge loss. welcome mike.[/quote]You left out Terrence Williams. I see our odds of landing him being higher than those for Parker.
[/quote nothing ive read or heard about williams excites me. that and we are recruiting against ecu to get hi@ doesnt make me think he is an ompact player. we need to land one star in this class.

nothing ive read or heard about williams excites me. that and we are recruiting against ecu to get hi@ doesnt make me think he is an ompact player. we need to land one star in this class.[/quote]

If we land Leek, Nickerson, Carter and Williams on top of Thorne I will be very excited, and that would be our starting 5 for a 2014 Sweet Sixteen team. How’s that for green kool-aide?

ninerfan, Terrence Williams is a player. Don’t let the fact that it’s us vs ECU fool you. Is he as good as Dai-Jon Parker? Probably not. Terrence is 3 star player and a solid one at that.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/124526/mike-thorne

This one gets me excited about this guy. Hopefully Major can develop him into something special.

I know that rankings aren’t everything, but 19th overall power forward does sound pretty good. What I really like is how much this guy has improved, and the potential he has. We know Major developed big men for the Buckeyes. This is his forte. If strength is the only weakness they can note then it sounds like he’s gonna be really good. I trust coach on this one.

ESPN now has him with 91 rating, 3 star.

[b]Strengths:[/b] Mike is a player that has improved tremendously over the past year, especially with his performance this summer at the AAU Nationals in Orlando. He's a good athlete who plays above the rim but also has a nice soft touch with his back to the basket. He's got a nice little jumphook inside as well. He's got an enormous wingspan and a long body and could be a really good shot blocker when he develops more timing. [b]Weaknesses:[/b] Thorne does need to add strength to his frame as prepares for the rigors of Division I basketball. He has to get stronger to improve his rebounding and his ability to finish through contact in the paint. With time and strength he'll be much more productive around the basket. [b]Bottom Line:[/b] With his continued improvement you also notice he starting to play with a presence and more aggressiveness. In Thorne, the Charlotte staff has found someone they can mold and groom.

That’s odd. Figured he drop down at least one star once he verballed to Charlotte.

That’s odd. Figured he drop down at least one star once he verballed to Charlotte.[/quote]

Thats certainly been the norm - maybe this is the “Major Efftect”?

That’s odd. Figured he drop down at least one star once he verballed to Charlotte.[/quote]

Just give them time. They’ll adjust it.

Finally. Tallest PF ever for us? Seems like a good start!

Just give them time. They’ll adjust it.[/quote]

There were no ratings at ESPN for Thorne until today.

I noticed that myself. He had no evaluation before i went to class today

Just give them time. They’ll adjust it.[/quote]

There were no ratings at ESPN for Thorne until today.[/quote]