Mine Shaft

I’ve always wanted to see what the inside of the mine shaft looked like back when we played there. Do any of you guys have any pictures you could share? I can’t find any anywhere.

I’ve heard great stories and descriptions - sounds like it was pretty awesome.

thanks

I wish they had not ripped the seats out of there. We should hold the holiday basketball game in there since it is always so poorly attended. I would LOVE to watch another game in there. If I ever win the lottery - in addition to the major football donation I would make would be a gift to refit the MineShaft and hold at least one game there a year as a One Night Only affair.

Make sure you save up for an A/C system too.

Make sure you save up for an A/C system too.[/quote]

Holiday game would be in Dec - so I think the AC can go unaddressed.

I would love a holiday game in the Mine Shaft… especially with throwback unis!

3rd

Thought you were talking about the Shaft down off of Old Concord rd (I think). Famous for penny draft back in the late 80s. Burned down around 1990. Who remembers the Shaft?

I sure as hell do. That place was awesome. Would be great to have a place like that backing up to campus.

Just missed it - Got on campus in 91. I do recall seeing the burnt remains and the sign.

yeah I heard about that place! Isn’t it the one that all of the frats and sororities would have their fundraisers at? One of those - buy a beer and xx% of the proceeds go to this charity?

I have my dad’s old yearbook from around 1974. It has some pictures of basketball games in it; I’ll see if I can’t get some of those scanned in the near future.

that would be awesome! We need to compile some for history’s sake.

I frequented that place fairly often- not sure I would use the word awesome to describe it, but I do have some fond memories (or blurs)…

The Mine Shaft was awesome. At one point we had a hellacious home winning streak in it. The Shaft was ok. It was accessible alcohol. That was about it.

The Mine Shaft was alcohol accessible too, but you had to BYOB. :slight_smile:

It usually looked something like this:

[b][size=5]49ers 117[/size][/b]

[size=5]Visitors 38[/size]

It usually looked something like this:

[b]49ers 117[/b]

Visitors 38

[/quote]
Classic

I don’t think we have a similar place now. Even with all the new bars in the University area. Picasso’s is good for watching games but it’s not really a hangout spot.

I don’t think we have a similar place now. Even with all the new bars in the University area. Picasso’s is good for watching games but it’s not really a hangout spot.[/quote]

Saucers, Boardwalks, and wine vault tend to be the “hangout and have a beer” spots.

did this thread get highjacked?

the only “Mineshaft” EVER was down beyond halton in the belk gym!

and don’t you forget it!!! that’s where it all started.