Mizzou, Nebraska, Syracuse, Pitt to Join Big 10.

WNDU is reporting that Mizzou will soon join Big 10 and will be followed by Nebraska, Syracuse, Pitt and Rutgers. Notre Dame will stay in the Big East. I’m sure some of this is still speculative, but this scenario leaves 3 holes in the BE (which is why I put it the Niner Sports forum).

www.wndu.com/sports/headlines/92447574.html

Well, if this is at all true, we better hurry the fuck up with our football plans.

[quote=“49or bust, post:2, topic:23191”]Well, if this is at all true, we better hurry the f*** up with our football plans.[/quote]At this point, if the Big East remains intact, we’re so far behind the likes of UCF, Memphis, Temple, and a handful of others, we aren’t getting into the Big East. I think the best we can hope for is the Big East falling apart and a new conference forming with Temple, Charlotte, Memphis, UCF, Louisville, Cinci, ECU, USF, and some of the other programs from CUSA and what’s left of the Big East joining together.

What I’m saying is, if we have any shot of getting in for the next shake up, we had better hurry the F up. I’d rather have some shot than no shot.

I still can’t believe they’d want UCF over us lol. I’d also be a little surprised to see them bring Temple back over us. But it all depends on when exactly the shake up would happen.

What I’m saying is, if we have any shot of getting in for the next shake up, we had better hurry the F up. I’d rather have some shot than no shot.

I still can’t believe they’d want UCF over us lol. I’d also be a little surprised to see them bring Temple back over us. But it all depends on when exactly the shake up would happen.[/quote]Why wouldn’t they want UCF over us? They have a brand new 40,000 seat football stadium and a tv market that is comparable to that of Charlotte. The last 5 years we’ve had mediocre basketball and we have no football and no football stadium (yet). Temple has had basketball success and recently their football team is no an embarrassment. They’re also in a top 5 television market and are a 40,000+ student university. Right now every school I listed brings more to the table than we do. If the Big 10 pursues this this year, I see us being in the CAA, or a newly formed conference 10 years from now. If they put it off a few years, we have a chance.

UCF gets lots of love from the Orlando media. That love has given them a pretty good following and can bump up TV ratings.

I still can’t believe they’d want UCF over us lol. I’d also be a little surprised to see them bring Temple back over us. But it all depends on when exactly the shake up would happen.[/quote]Why wouldn’t they want UCF over us? They have a brand new 40,000 seat football stadium and a tv market that is comparable to that of Charlotte. The last 5 years we’ve had mediocre basketball and we have no football and no football stadium (yet). Temple has had basketball success and recently their football team is no an embarrassment. They’re also in a top 5 television market and are a 40,000+ student university. Right now every school I listed brings more to the table than we do. If the Big 10 pursues this this year, I see us being in the CAA, or a newly formed conference 10 years from now. If they put it off a few years, we have a chance.[/quote]
THIS. We don’t even have a football team until 2013. We are supposedly aiming for FBS by 2017. That’s so far away in light of everything that’s happening now. Better late than never though. We’ll catch the next big wave. This is all the more reason to make our basketball team nationally respectable again, that’s what we’ve got… for now.

UCF gets lots of love from the Orlando media. That love has given them a pretty good following and can bump up TV ratings.[/quote]

clt says this is unpossible. the Orlando media should only cover uf and fsu sports. must follow the brilliant observer strategy.

To be honest, I don’t follow college football at all so to me, UCF isn’t a big deal or anything. Good for them if they’ve got it going on.

I also have less respect for them because of their slave name. I know it is irrelevant, but the logic points to them being lesser.

Huh? University of Central Florida is not Univ of Florida at Central…or something.

UCF is huuuuuge, with campuses all over the state. They are producing tons of alums and while they probably suffer the same situation we are in, where students grow up cheering for national powerhouses (UF, FSU) but attend a “local” school, they are on the cusp of changing that. Heck, even Jordan’s kid plays there now.

Huh? University of Central Florida is not Univ of Florida at Central…or something.

UCF is huuuuuge, with campuses all over the state. They are producing tons of alums and while they probably suffer the same situation we are in, where students grow up cheering for national powerhouses (UF, FSU) but attend a “local” school, they are on the cusp of changing that. Heck, even Jordan’s kid plays there now.[/quote]
Good for them.

Their name still denotes inferiority.

It does?

Does the name University of Southern California denote inferiority?

How about the University of California at Los Angeles?

University of Nevada at Las Vegas?

How about the University of South Florida?

I think you may be going a bit off the deep end with this slave name stuff.

[quote=“Lew, post:12, topic:23191”]It does?

Does the name University of Southern California denote inferiority?
Yes, but they out perform it.

No, their system has naming equality. For instance, if our system never had a school that went soley as “UNC,” I wouldn’t have a thing to say.

University of Nevada at Las Vegas?
Yes

How about the University of South Florida?
Yes

I think you may be going a bit off the deep end with this slave name stuff.
No it’s a pretty simple concept. It’s the exact same with the NFL Europe and WNBA etc.[/quote]

[quote=“49or bust, post:13, topic:23191”][quote=“Lew, post:12, topic:23191”]It does?

No, their system has naming equality. For instance, if our system never had a school that went soley as “UNC,” I wouldn’t have a thing to say.[/quote][/quote]

Their system has a school in Berkely that often goes by the name “Cal” or “California”. They are also often called “Berkely” (especially by Californians).

One major difference is “UC-Berkely” does not receive the same free marketing for athletics from newspapers all over the state of California. :slight_smile:

[quote=“49or bust, post:13, topic:23191”]How about the University of California at Los Angeles?
No, their system has naming equality. For instance, if our system never had a school that went soley as “UNC,” I wouldn’t have a thing to say.[/quote]
you know there is a “Cal” or California Golden Bears right?

As in Berkley?

[quote=“Over49er, post:14, topic:23191”][quote=“49or bust, post:13, topic:23191”][quote=“Lew, post:12, topic:23191”]It does?

No, their system has naming equality. For instance, if our system never had a school that went soley as “UNC,” I wouldn’t have a thing to say.[/quote][/quote]

Their system has a school in Berkely that often goes by the name “Cal” or “California”. They are also often called “Berkely” (especially by Californians).

One major difference is “UC-Berkely” does not receive the same free marketing for athletics from newspapers all over the state of California. :)[/quote]

And in case someone doesn’t know, the California Golden Bears are part of the PAC 10, so it’s not like they are small time.

How on earth is Central Florida a “slave name”? I’m really struggling with this one. I don’t see anything wrong with that. The UW-M’s, UNLV’s, UC-etc, I get those, but I can’t see what’s wrong with the name Central Florida.

I guess only one school per state is allowed to have the state’s name in the school name or else it is a slave name. UCF should just change their name to Walt Disney University or Central America’s Wang University in order to rid themselves of that awful slave name.

Uh…University of Southern California is a slave name?

To what? They are a private school.

Cal rarely goes by UC/University of California. Not nearly on the same scale that UNC goes by UNC.

With UCF, USF it’s not a matter of them having the state’s name, it’s that they regionalize themselves and have a belittling naming modifier. U of Florida is the whole state. U of Central Florida is just a region of a state. “State,” “Tech,” “U of,” “[City],” even “A&T” all seem on the same level. After that it sounds weak. The regional names sound like you are a sub-class of an already established brand.

I use slave name in this case because it is belittling. It’s not as bad or as fitting a usage of the term as what we’ve got going on tho.