MLB Draft

It is that time of the year again where every college baseball fan and coach hold their breath.

This year we are in serious danger of losing some guys to the draft.

First off, the Seniors John Hamilton and Shane Basen might get some looks late in the draft. J-Ham has a better shot being a versatile lefty. I would love to see these guys continue their careers in baseball.

Of our Juniors I have seen Barnette ranked within the top 10 rounds, and Justin Seager has received some hype. I am really worried about those 2. Brock Hudgens had a breakout year and could get drafted as well. I saw scouts at all of Barnette’s home starts. Seager had a good year and I am sure someone will take a chance on him because he has 2 brothers playing professionally.

I am hearing that some of our recruits may get drafted and there is some worry there. I haven’t found any draft hype on these guys but here is a list of guys that I know of that are coming in.

Schellhorn, Jeremy RHP/ 1B Weddington, NC (Weddington HS)
Sherer, Logan OF/3B/C Charlotte, NC (East Meck HS)
Jarrett, Zack 3B Hickory, NC (Hickory HS)
Nichting, TJ 2B Hamilton, OH (Badin HS)
Davis, Matt RHP Sedalia, NC (Ashley HS)
Vogler, Brandon SS Pfafftown, NC (Reagan HS)
Eason, Eric LHP Wilmington, NC (Ashley HS)
Bond, Brett LHP Overland Park, KS (Barton CC)
Hill, Mikal 2B/SS/OF Charlotte, NC (Mallard Creek HS) (Miami-Dade)
Butler, Ryan RHP Charlotte, NC (Ardrey Kell HS) Marshall
Raley, Danny MIF Franklin, TN (Franklin HS)

this persons opinion?

Seager is gone.

Barnette? If he is drafted top 10-15 rounds then I’d say yes, he is gone. Any later, he might stay.

Hudgens? Team really needs him next season, but he had an outstanding year, so yes I could see he get drafted. No idea what would happen with him if he does get selected.

Hamilton? yes, being a lefty could work in his favor. I’d like to see him get drafted, but with a bias towards the 2014 Niners. I will leave his status up to the draft gods and fate.

Basen? I don’t expect a draft call.

Have heard same thing about possibility of a recruit getting a draft call, but I’m at a loss trying to figure out which one.

Have seen some pub on the local HS kids (Weddington, E Meck, Hickory) but not enough to anticipate a draft pick.

Could it be one of these three?

Just a shot in the dark at this point.

Only way I’d be happy with losing any of these guys to the draft is if they end up wearing a curly dubya.

Saw former Niner Bryan Harvey had a son drafted at #22 overall by the O’s

I noticed that too. It would have been nice if he had decided to play here for a few years, but when drafted that high, you need to latch on to the big bucks.

Regarding Tyler and Seager leaving early, I have also heard they will both leave if drafted high enough. Of course, the big question is just how high is high enough.

I think Justin is the only guy we will probably lose from the current group. Of the signees, I have no idea. If I took a stab in the dark I’d say the Schellhorn kid from Weddington, because supposedly, he is a solid prospect on the rubber, and at first base.

I do think all our current players understand if they have solid seasons next year with better competition, their draft stock increases exponentially.

We shouldn’t worry at all when the MLB draft comes around every year. It’s a good thing for us to have kids that are consistantly drafted. I will be shocked if Seager is in a Niner uniform next year. Honestly, I hope he’s not. It’s a recruiting tool to have kids taken in the draft every year. We should have a minimum of 2 or 3 kids drafted every year. If that’s not happening, then our program is not at a level that it should be.
We have 40 or so kids on our roster and our program should be at a level that when someone gets drafted, someone else has to step up and take their position.

Don’t disagree at all. Just not sure the baseball is yet at that level…especially related to pitching.

Not convinced this team can afford to lose Barnette and Hudgens right now. Would be very happy if I’m proven wrong.

I like Seager a lot, but I think there are options to replace him.

[quote=“Crusader, post:2, topic:27843”]this persons opinion?

Seager is gone.

Barnette? If he is drafted top 10-15 rounds then I’d say yes, he is gone. Any later, he might stay.

Hudgens? Team really needs him next season, but he had an outstanding year, so yes I could see he get drafted. No idea what would happen with him if he does get selected.

Hamilton? yes, being a lefty could work in his favor. I’d like to see him get drafted, but with a bias towards the 2014 Niners. I will leave his status up to the draft gods and fate.

Have heard same thing about possibility of a recruit getting a draft call, but I’m at a loss trying to figure out which one.

Have seen some pub on the local HS kids (Weddington, E Meck, Hickory) but not enough to anticipate a draft pick.

Just a shot in the dark at this point.[/quote]

IIRC, Barnette was drafted right out of HS but he came to school instead.

[quote=“ImfromClayton, post:6, topic:27843”]I think Justin is the only guy we will probably lose from the current group. Of the signees, I have no idea. If I took a stab in the dark I’d say the Schellhorn kid from Weddington, because supposedly, he is a solid prospect on the rubber, and at first base.

I do think all our current players understand if they have solid seasons next year with better competition, their draft stock increases exponentially.[/quote]

I would be surprised at that. Schellhorn didn’t even pitch this season after returning from Tommy Johns.

[quote=“919R, post:9, topic:27843”][quote=“Crusader, post:2, topic:27843”]this persons opinion?

Seager is gone.

IIRC, Barnette was drafted right out of HS but he came to school instead.[/quote]

Correct

Pick #357 Justin Seager to Mariners

Good luck in pro ball Justin

[quote=“Crusader, post:11, topic:27843”][quote=“919R, post:9, topic:27843”][quote=“Crusader, post:2, topic:27843”]this persons opinion?

Seager is gone.

IIRC, Barnette was drafted right out of HS but he came to school instead.[/quote]

Correct[/quote]

Barnette was a 9th round selection of the Red Sox.
He was the highest draft choice by Boston in the 2010 draft that did not sign a pro contract.

[quote=“Crusader, post:12, topic:27843”]Pick #357 Justin Seager to Mariners

Good luck in pro ball Justin[/quote]

Nice deal to be drafted by the same organization that his brother plays for.
Cheers to Justin.

Round 14 Pick 423
Tyler Barnette - Chicago White Sox

[quote=“Crusader, post:12, topic:27843”]Pick #357 Justin Seager to Mariners

Good luck in pro ball Justin[/quote]

Very nice. I’m a big M’s fan.

Now 49er signee Ryan Butler is drafted in the 16th Round by the Yankees.

[quote=“MC82, post:15, topic:27843”]Round 14 Pick 423
Tyler Barnette - Chicago White Sox[/quote]

Woot wooooot! 8)

Will be interesting to see if Barnette goes or stays since he was drafted in the 9th round out of HS and went to school instead.I hope he stays.

I think all 3 are gone and good for them.

I wish Hamilton and Basen had gotten a chance.