MM Oct 18, 2007

[QUOTE=eason49;262954]To sum it up, he (more or less) said weā€™d not only play a lot of full court press, but also pressure the ball the entire game. He emphasized improved defense a lot.

He said last year it was hard because we didnā€™t have the athletes for press defense. I guess if a slow guy gets beat, itā€™s harder for him to make it upā€¦ whereas an athletic guy has a chance to get back.[/QUOTE]

or when you have a slow point guard over shoot a steal attempt.

[QUOTE=eason49;262954]To sum it up, he (more or less) said weā€™d not only play a lot of full court press, but also pressure the ball the entire game. He emphasized improved defense a lot.

He said last year it was hard because we didnā€™t have the athletes for press defense. I guess if a slow guy gets beat, itā€™s harder for him to make it upā€¦ whereas an athletic guy has a chance to get back.[/QUOTE]

True that, we will have the athletes to press this year. Iā€™m going to love watching Anjuan and Dewhurst play. Also, Gaby seems like the Jerell Jamison type (a player that loves to get out there and play D.)

8:44 waiting...

This message was sent using PIX-FLIX Messaging service from Verizon Wireless!
To learn how you can snap pictures with your wireless phone visit www.verizonwireless.com/getitnow/getpix.
To learn how you can record videos with your wireless phone visit www.verizonwireless.com/getitnow/getflix.
To play video messages sent to email, QuickTimeĀ® 6.5 or higher is required. Visit www.apple.com/quicktime/download to download the free player or upgrade your existing QuickTimeĀ® Player. Note: During the download process when asked to choose an installation type (Minimum, Recommended or Custom), select Minimum for faster download.

[coolimg]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/mms-photos/20071018-205021-1.jpeg[/coolimg]

The godfather himself

This message was sent using PIX-FLIX Messaging service from Verizon Wireless!
To learn how you can snap pictures with your wireless phone visit www.verizonwireless.com/getitnow/getpix.
To learn how you can record videos with your wireless phone visit www.verizonwireless.com/getitnow/getflix.
To play video messages sent to email, QuickTimeĀ® 6.5 or higher is required. Visit www.apple.com/quicktime/download to download the free player or upgrade your existing QuickTimeĀ® Player. Note: During the download process when asked to choose an installation type (Minimum, Recommended or Custom), select Minimum for faster download.

[coolimg]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/mms-photos/20071018-205021-2.jpeg[/coolimg]

Yeah that is me. If you guys ever see me around, introduce yourself, as Ballin did tonight :biggrin:

I don't want to see Phil shoot 3s. Atleast we saw Gaby likes to play down low, atleast. *sigh*

It was probably the only chance he had at doing it all season, although if he has that skill and can do it consistently I donā€™t see why he wouldnā€™t take out big sloppy slow opposing team centers out on the perimeter, would be a great mismatch for us.

[QUOTE=SteauA;262966]It was probably the only chance he had at doing it all season, although if he has that skill and can do it consistently I donā€™t see why he wouldnā€™t take out big sloppy slow opposing team centers out on the perimeter, would be a great mismatch for us.[/QUOTE]

definitely agree

i watched phil play intramuralsā€¦he can shoot the three pretty goodā€¦with that said, i assure you, that doesnt mean he will be. he knows that tooā€¦ they were just out there to have fun and he specifically did that in intramurals to avoid any type of injury. bobby mentioned in addressing NN Gold that we would post up to phil a lot. almost brought a tear to my eye.

It was fun to watch the guys play last night. You can really tell very little about a team from that kind of game. Scrimmages tend to be pretty sloppy and this one was most definently. Looks like we have a lot of athletic guys that can hopefully drive to the basket and make things happen.

Was I the only one that didnā€™t know that Dewhurst could really dunk? Two handed and everything.

Also, who else saw Travis Gordon sitting behind the goal post?

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;262978]Was I the only one that didnā€™t know that Dewhurst could really dunk? Two handed and everything.

Also, who else saw Travis Gordon sitting behind the goal post?[/QUOTE]

Yeah when I was walking to my car I saw Travis Gordon has well. Guess heā€™s back supporting the team.

[QUOTE=SteauA;262966]It was probably the only chance he had at doing it all season, although if he has that skill and can do it consistently I donā€™t see why he wouldnā€™t take out big sloppy slow opposing team centers out on the perimeter, would be a great mismatch for us.[/QUOTE]

Of course. I would love to see us effectively use a low post guy and feed the ball to him as well. If he can then take the opposing team outside beyond the arc, even better!

Yeah when I was walking to my car I saw Travis Gordon has well. Guess he's back supporting the team.

i ran into him on campus one day, IIRC he said heā€™s doing graduate school.

I hope we do alot better on the full court press than we did last year. That was the worst execution of the full court press I have ever seen. Everytime we set up the press, it turned into an easy 2 points for the other team. I guess we have the athletes to do it right this year, I hope.

It sounds like we will have a pretty deep rotation if we will be running and pressing the whole time.

Coleyā€™s dunk to end the slamdunk competitionā€¦ Quality isnā€™t great as I didnā€™t have time to up it right before the dunkā€¦

[MEDIA]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/mms-files/MOV-0003.3gp[/MEDIA]

[QUOTE=Submarley734;262943]Phil needs to shoot no further out than 10-15 feet. We brought you in here to be a center, not a 6ā€™10 shooting guard. Other than that, Coley will be fun to watch, Lee will be Lee, Wilderness is going to be one of if not our best player, Gerrity is quicker than I thought heā€™d be, and Lewis still wonā€™t play.[/QUOTE]

I can see Phil at the top of the high-low, other than that he better be posting inside. Itā€™s good he has a nice shot, though. We need scorers!!!

Gaby is a VERY pleasant surprise. Can definitely rebound and has good size for a Freshman.

Coley, Mack, Dewhurst looked good.

Coleyā€™s dunk was AMAZING. Incredible athlete and we havenā€™t had one in a long time.

Wilderness is going to be a stud and may be already. Will be fun watching him for 4 years. The guy is a beast even at 6ā€™6".

Ian is definitely trying to be the ā€œscoringā€ guard, taking all the shots.

Nice execution of the half-court alley hoop from Gerrity to Coley to start the scrimmage.

Overall, what I expected but impressive group of guys.

In light of last yearā€™s review I have tamed my comments hereā€¦

We need to enter the tip off play into our playbook! That was awesome! And Charlie Coley can straight up jump! Amazing. I liked how the team seemed to interact with each other. Weā€™ll see how it goes when they play an actual game.

In light of last year's review I have tamed my comments here...

We need to enter the tip off play into our playbook! That was awesome! And Charlie Coley can straight up jump! Amazing. I liked how the team seemed to interact with each other. Weā€™ll see how it goes when they play an actual game.

It would have to be tried only a couple times but it would be pretty cool to see in a real game.

They should have re-named ā€˜March Madnessā€™ to ā€˜The Coley Showā€™. Thatā€™s basically what is was. Man, Iā€™m happy we landed him since he was being recruited during a really weird time. I liked how none of his teammates even bothered to compete with him in the slam dunk (could either of the two student competitors be a future roster member?) All in all, it was one of the better MMs - good show and some pretty darn good recruits showed up.

Two comments:

-Should I be concerned that in a scrimmage with almost no defense - we shot, like, 22%?
-Last year, Antwon would start at center but EJ would control the opening tip-off. In the scrimmage, the two players facing off for the tip were Phil and Gaby. Isnā€™t there someone else better suited for the job? (hint: he scored immediately afterward on a pretty alley-oop from Gerrity)

Was I the only one that didn't know that Dewhurst could really dunk? Two handed and everything.

Also, who else saw Travis Gordon sitting behind the goal post?

haha probably, Kevin. He was in the dunk contest last year, and a lot has been said of his vert and freakish athleticism on the board and in interviews.

haha probably, Kevin. He was in the dunk contest last year, and a lot has been said of his vert and freakish athleticism on the board and in interviews.

Maybe itā€™s because we didnā€™t see him play much last year. I knew that I liked to see him on the court I guess just didnā€™t see him being that aggresive.

i ran into him on campus one day, IIRC he said he's doing graduate school.

We should get him to sign up for NNG