MTSU Postgame

My lasting impression of this game was highly reminiscent of our last NCAA game vs NCSU. Had a lead at half, but they came out determined, and were allowed to push, shove, and absolutely hack their way to a comfortable win. Odd bit of symmetry, but also frustrating, because once again, a game was officiated differently on opposite ends of the floor.

Gonna miss Joe. He officially beat the all time full season CUSA rebounding record set by Josh Davis of Tulane (he was a good player too, transferred to San Diego St his senior year) a few years ago:

He had 373 before tonight, one behind Davis. He finished with 7 tonight for 380 on season. That link should be updated by tomorrow.

Just a monster statistical season made all the more impressive by how hard he worked to handle all those minutes we gave him. Here is hoping he gets a look overseas at least.

That said, his weakness was allowing guysto drive on him and body him. He isn’t a rim protector. We need one badly, and it could offset the fact that there’s no way we are gonna replace Joe’s record setting rebounding.

Fancher’s postgame provided some interesting notes, and he absolutely sold the turnaround this season as setting the tone and the foundation for the future:

1. he said BO couldn’t guard him (Fancher) to start the season, but has become a good enough defender to guard the opponents best guard. Huge turnaround.

2. He mentioned improved depth, specifically mentioning Bergang, Jackson, Akujwe (no idea how to spell that) and Hudson Price… But then he said “and 2 more signees”. He mentioned it twice. We are clearly #notdun recruiting. He also mentioned “help inside” …

Not the ending any of us want, and 14-19 isn’t pretty, but to quote Jobey & Matt, after the Bahamas, they thought we’d be lucky to win 5 this season. They’re both really excited for next season. The program is in good hands.

I thought about the NCS game also.
We lost to them by one earlier in the season and they mopped the floor with us tonight. I wish I were more enthusiastic about our progress, but…
Maybe the announcers were right. After the debacle tonite, maybe we really lucky to win five games.

well if we’re signing 2 more, that means 2 are leaving.

It’s gotta be Blakley and either Camidge or Benas.

[quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:30242”]well if we’re signing 2 more, that means 2 are leaving.

It’s gotta be Blakley and either Camidge or Benas.[/quote]

I hope its’ all 3.

Blakely has been such a let down. Ranked 33 PF in nation. Top 5 player in GA. 3 Star. Hasn’t sniffed the floor.

[quote=“gamer, post:2, topic:30242”]I thought about the NCS game also.
We lost to them by one earlier in the season and they mopped the floor with us tonight. I wish I were more enthusiastic about our progress, but…
Maybe the announcers were right. After the debacle tonite, maybe we really lucky to win five games.[/quote]

If you can’t see our progress then I dont know what to tell you. Out defense is good in spurts but when you have youth/size/depth working against you, it’s tough to maintain. I really believe we can go dancing next season if we add 2 solid to good bigs.

Next year…
I believe…
Next year I believe that we…
Next year I believe that we will…
Next year I believe that we will get…
Next year I believe that we will get to…
Next year I believe that we will get to the…
Next year I believe that we will get to the SEMI FINALS!!

The year after that…win the tourney!!
I believe.

We need size and athleticism to balance out our roster. MT was bigger at every position. Not more skilled, just bigger… and it was athletic size, not just space eating size. I’m not going to crap on our players for genetics. It’s on the coaches to upgrade the front line.

[quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:30242”]well if we’re signing 2 more, that means 2 are leaving.

Since Garvin hasn’t signed yet I wonder if it is Garvin plus one more or two more guys and Garvin?

[quote=“JB, post:8, topic:30242”][quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:30242”]well if we’re signing 2 more, that means 2 are leaving.

Since Garvin hasn’t signed yet I wonder if it is Garvin plus one more or two more guys and Garvin?[/quote]Ah good point. I didn’t think about that.

I hope its' all 3.

Blakely has been such a let down. Ranked 33 PF in nation. Top 5 player in GA. 3 Star. Hasn’t sniffed the floor.

Unfortunately Blakely got zero coaching under Major. Apparently the former staffs best advice to him was, “we just need you to come in and airball or bank a few threes”. Now he’s just a lame duck. Shining example of the complete failure Major was on so many levels.

Im glad to hear confirmation we are adding more bigs. Mostly because that means the Benas and/or Camidge scrubs won’t be back next year.

As far as next year main things I would like to see is vast improvement of individual and team defense. And I want to see Davis and White shooting 80% percent from the FT line. If Scott can do it there is no excuse for those guys. Get in the gym and shoot 500 of them a day if you have to.

Given the aweful start, the late recruiting and massive exodus after major firing I’m pleased with the season. If we are not in the top 4 of cusa next year my hopeful outlook will drastically change. If a no name guy can turn uncw into champs in a better conference, there is no reason we shouldn’t be able to do it in 2 years.

[quote=“JB, post:8, topic:30242”][quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:30242”]well if we’re signing 2 more, that means 2 are leaving.

Since Garvin hasn’t signed yet I wonder if it is Garvin plus one more or two more guys and Garvin?[/quote]

Probably him plus 2 more. I imagine they can put prices son on scholarship if we need to free one up.

A little surprising that we didn’t try to switch to a zone in the 2nd half since all MTSU was just backing us down and getting easy looks.

Love the improvement over the course of the year. Hopefully we can free up two more schollies. Ideally, Hudson walks on, and camidge, benas, or Blakely transfer.

If we can accomplish this our depth could be outstanding

G: Quentin, Braxton, Jon, Curran, Andrien.
SF: Ajukwa, Hudson, Hook(impressed me a ton)
PF: Garvin (Sherman?, Bol?,)
C: Bergang (Dembele?, Bigby Williams?, Cook?)

That would be awesome if we could land two of the kids with question marks! Bright future none the less.

Can we assume you are using extreme sarcasm?

Since Garvin hasn’t signed yet I wonder if it is Garvin plus one more or two more guys and Garvin?[/quote]Thats what I would think he meant, Garvin + 1. Obviously that changes with a transfer.

I am very positive about the future. What Price accomplished with a handful of guys that nobody else wanted is pretty amazing. And note to a bunch of other coaches: you missed on these guys, they are ball players.

A special word about Reid Aube. Nobody does more with less. He is five fouls and a bunch of heart. I am glad he is a Niner.

I suspect BO, Davis, White, and Scott had a blast this year and cannot wait to get started again. It has probably been a long time since I could say that about our starting players.

Congrats to the team and coaches, and thanks for letting me believe again.

I had little or no expectations in regards to this team at the beginning of this season. We were lacking in player experience, diminutive in size, and coaching experience. However, Coach Price managed to turn things around. He managed to get a career bencher like Uchebo to play up to or beyond his expectations. He managed to turn 3 freshmen into some of the best players in CUSA. Most of all, Price has managed to turn this rag-tag group of players into a team. I did wish that he could turn Blakley around but I presume that would require a miracle. Regarding Beans, I am not sure that he is as bad as everyone make him out to be. Sure, Beans get pushed around a bit inside and rack up impressive amount of fouls within minutes, but doesn’t happen to most NORMAL freshmen and sophomore players? I didn’t expect him to be another Davis, White and Scott. Hell, I didn’t expect the aforementioned players to do so well in the first place. Finally, I wish nothing but the best for Joe Uchebo. I will miss his enthusiasm, team leadership, athletic abilities, and most of all his routine of hugging every player on the opposing team…postgame.

clt expects our best players to transfer.

Just kidding, things are looking up finally.

[quote=“donkeyjaws, post:4, topic:30242”][quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:30242”]well if we’re signing 2 more, that means 2 are leaving.

I hope its’ all 3.

Blakely has been such a let down. Ranked 33 PF in nation. Top 5 player in GA. 3 Star. Hasn’t sniffed the floor.[/quote]

I’d like Benas to stay. How often will we get a 7’ that can contribute? He has shown flashes of being pretty good. He would still have 2 more years here and would hope the coaches can do something with him

I’m definitely pleased with the direction overall. We showed a lot of heart and coachability to rally in conference play after the 1-8 start, could have easily mailed it in. Our freshman got invaluable experience. They made freshman mistakes, as expected, but we showed lots of flashes of good basketball this year.

Recruiting is now the major piece. If we can get some bigs to replace Joe by committee, the next couple of seasons will have a really solid foundation.

Go Niners.