MTSU postgame

I think we’re stuck with Mullen as long as we have Lambert. I doubt we can afford anyone better.

I do know Lambert needs to focus on being a HEAD COACH and let someone else be dedicated to Special Teams.

Do we up the pay to get a better OC or drop some cash for a real Special Teams Coach?

#NinerChoices

When does the injury report come out? That is going to be a long list. Anyone with a remote chance of playing professionally should probably sit out the last game.

I know hating on Mullen is the cool thing, but Lambert lost this game.

Mullen’s offense scored 31 points. The defense (Lambert is a D guy) gave up 38. If you have to score more than 38 to win games, you’re gonna lose most of them.

Not to mention, we should have scored more. 1st qtr we got down to about 10 yd line, had a 4th and 1, then somehow got two straight personal foul penalties before we could then attempt a strange 57 yd field goal that predictably gets blocked. The penalty on the 1st field goal attempt took points off the board. That’s on the head coach (3 personal foul penalties total this game).

Then later in the game we had a makeable 37 yard field goal, opted for a 4th and long that we didn’t convert. Also, the mixed extra point means the offense should have had at least 7 more points. That’s 38. That means they’re doing their job. (They did get set up by the D nicely on one score in the 2nd half by the interception).

Also, going for 4th down late in the first half when any rational person would have punted hurt the defense and caused them to give up 3 points they shouldn’t have.

Head coach was horrible this game, had nothing to do with the OC. Other games you may have a valid point. Regardless of the late game stuff, this game was lost in the first half with some poor decision making by the head guy. We outplayed them in the 2nd but didn’t have a great margin for error.

I could not agree more. We shouldn’t have been on the field with those guys. We lost to them by 59 points last year. The offensive line was is absolutely destroyed by injuries. The offense was out there on the field once German, Covington, Davis, Perry and Brown were watching. WE should have never been in that game.

And speaking of the play calling. What calls do you want them to make? The oline can’t be trusted to open holes or pass block. Phillips is getting killed out there, as is Washington. THe wr’s drop tons of balls. It’s amazing we’re able to drive at all much less convert 3rd and 4th and long and we bitch about play calling?

They stayed in this game due to halftime adjustments and the guts of the players. Both these things I feel are because of Lambert.

The talent gap was huge today. You saw it in spades the first 7 minutes of the game. We tied them for 59 minutes.

I don’t love a moral victory, but the fact that we COULD be 7-4 is the reason we keep Lambert around.

Class guy. Good representative of the school. He’s not a head coach.

He simply doesn’t have it as a head coach.

There has been nothing I’ve seen over four years to make me believe otherwise.

Cut bait.

I could not agree more. We shouldn’t have been on the field with those guys. We lost to them by 59 points last year. The offensive line was is absolutely destroyed by injuries. The offense was out there on the field once German, Covington, Davis, Perry and Brown were watching. WE should have never been in that game.

And speaking of the play calling. What calls do you want them to make? The oline can’t be trusted to open holes or pass block. Phillips is getting killed out there, as is Washington. THe wr’s drop tons of balls. It’s amazing we’re able to drive at all much less convert 3rd and 4th and long and we b**** about play calling?

They stayed in this game due to halftime adjustments and the guts of the players. Both these things I feel are because of Lambert.

The talent gap was huge today. You saw it in spades the first 7 minutes of the game. We tied them for 59 minutes.

I don’t love a moral victory, but the fact that we COULD be 7-4 is the reason we keep Lambert around.[/quote]

Judy Rose applauds this… acceptance of mediocrity is the problem

I’ll stick up for Mullen. Our offense and defense are about equal statistically. Our head coach is a defensive guy…

Let’s hire a special team coordinator. That’s the largest hole right now.

If anyone has a status update for Covington, please post here. Concerned for his health.

It is tough to be a dedicated fan to charlotte sports.

I have mixed feelings on the coaching staff. Questionable play calling, undisciplined team (have gotten better with this), inconsistency, and poor overall game management. The timeout with 1 min left at the end of the first half on an upcoming fourth and long was a terrible call. Should have let the clock run if we wanted to go for it there, given the situation.

I understand the call for a change with coaching. I can’t decide which side of the fence I’m on. But to call for the coaches job by saying we have been so close in so many games this year does not sound like good reasoning to me. These are the same coaches putting us in the position to be close in these games. I understand if we are a Marshall or southern Miss. With an established program, if your teams always loses close games that is usually a sign of bad coaching and a “losing culture.” But with our new program, lack of depth, and lack of talent, I believe the coaches deserve some sort of credit for getting us to positions to win these games.

Ultimately they need to be held accountable. And our program will go nowhere if we can’t start winning these home games. I lean towards us not having the right coaching staff at this point. But I can understand giving them one more year to get this program where we all want to see it.

[quote=“JudyPleaseRetire, post:28, topic:30641”]If anyone has a status update for Covington, please post here. Concerned for his health.[/quote]just so it’s documented for people that didn’t see it in the shoutbox, his tests came back normal and he will be fine.

I’m not understanding the ‘we shouldn’t be in this game with the talent we have’ statements.

Do you guys understand that the QB we played against had 1 1/2 games of experience coming into our game and that MTSU lost to Marshall last week 42-17 in that QB’s first start? We made the game so easy for him in the first half, he hardly threw the ball 5 yards down the field. Yes, we made adjustments at half and I’m glad we got a gameplan together, but we were in such a huge hole. By the way, we shouldn’t have been shocked at what they were going to do, it’s what Rice did to us the entire 2nd half last week. I guess we didn’t have the talent to be in that game, either, though.

Thanks for posting that NN, I was very worried about him. That’s one of the scariest collisions I’ve ever seen.

I agree with s9er, the fact that we could be 7-4 in our 2nd year in fbs is a testament to brad lambert as head coach, we need to shore up some areas, but we are building, and moving in the right direction, i am satisfied with 4 wins, it would be nice to win at utsa, and make it 5, but let’s get behind lambert and hope that he makes the right moves in preparation for next year, i think he will…

[quote=“Iron9er, post:31, topic:30641”]I’m not understanding the ‘we shouldn’t be in this game with the talent we have’ statements.

Do you guys understand that the QB we played against had 1 1/2 games of experience coming into our game and that MTSU lost to Marshall last week 42-17 in that QB’s first start? We made the game so easy for him in the first half, he hardly threw the ball 5 yards down the field. Yes, we made adjustments at half and I’m glad we got a gameplan together, but we were in such a huge hole. By the way, we shouldn’t have been shocked at what they were going to do, it’s what Rice did to us the entire 2nd half last week. I guess we didn’t have the talent to be in that game, either, though.[/quote]
MTSU beat us by 59 last year with a whole lot of the same guys. MIddle was video game mode compared to our last five game.
QB dunked and dunked the whole game. Qb rating of 37. Had 250 yards in 44 attempts. He was very average today. Against our very average db’s.

We lost to Rice last week because we ran out of offensive linemen (and muffed a punt and dropped four easy catches), which kept our defense on the field, but yes, their talent level is close to us. This is why I impressed with what Lambert is doing.

We were a well oiled machine and had a healthy ol against USM and destroyed them.
We had a somewhat healthy oline at the beginning of the Rice game. DAvis got hurt and we became real mediocre real fast. We hung in there today despite the oline.

And speaking of the play calling. What calls do you want them to make? The oline can’t be trusted to open holes or pass block. Phillips is getting killed out there, as is Washington. THe wr’s drop tons of balls. It’s amazing we’re able to drive at all much less convert 3rd and 4th and long and we b**** about play calling?

I don’t love a moral victory, but the fact that we COULD be 7-4 is the reason we keep Lambert around.[/quote]

Judy Rose applauds this… acceptance of mediocrity is the problem[/quote]

Yeah. The anthem of the Charlotte fan. Blame all losses on Judy.
Don’t tell me what plays you would have run on offense despite having no offensive line or
definite improvement over all four years.

I suppose you’ll be calling for Langan’s head if we don’t win tomorrow, while blaming it all on Judy.

[quote=“Tintin, post:34, topic:30641”][quote=“Iron9er, post:31, topic:30641”]I’m not understanding the ‘we shouldn’t be in this game with the talent we have’ statements.

Do you guys understand that the QB we played against had 1 1/2 games of experience coming into our game and that MTSU lost to Marshall last week 42-17 in that QB’s first start? We made the game so easy for him in the first half, he hardly threw the ball 5 yards down the field. Yes, we made adjustments at half and I’m glad we got a gameplan together, but we were in such a huge hole. By the way, we shouldn’t have been shocked at what they were going to do, it’s what Rice did to us the entire 2nd half last week. I guess we didn’t have the talent to be in that game, either, though.[/quote]
MTSU beat us by 59 last year with a whole lot of the same guys. MIddle was video game mode compared to our last five game.
QB dunked and dunked the whole game. Qb rating of 37. Had 250 yards in 44 attempts. He was very average today. Against our very average db’s.

We lost to Rice last week because we ran out of offensive linemen (and muffed a punt and dropped four easy catches), which kept our defense on the field, but yes, their talent level is close to us. This is why I impressed with what Lambert is doing.

We were a well oiled machine and had a healthy ol against USM and destroyed them.
We had a somewhat healthy oline at the beginning of the Rice game. DAvis got hurt and we became real mediocre real fast. We hung in there today despite the oline.[/quote]

Yes, he dinked and dunked the whole game, that was my point. That’s all he has the ability to do, and what we allowed him to do in the first half. He had more td’s this game (4), then his whole career up to this point (3). This isn’t the same MTSU team that beat us last year, not without their QB. This is a team that was reeling with 2 straight losses to UTSA (not close) and Marshall (not close).

So you think the coaching performance was good last week? We were up 21-0 vs the last place team in conference and lost. That is good coaching?

Yes, we do have bad injuries to the Oline and they don’t look the same. To be fair, I was saying in my original post the OC had a much better game plan then our head coach. Decision making and D was the problem in this game.

Can anyone explain the 57 yd field goal attempt? The going for it on 4th down at the end of the half with 50 some seconds left allowing them to get a fg? These are bad in game coaching decisions despite what anyone thinks of the overall direction of the program.

Mullin needs to go. That should have been done at the end of last year. He is an FCS caliber coach, and he is calling our plays. Imagine how good Klugh can be when he’s not trying to make the OC look good, but instead, he has a real OC.

That being said, I don’t want to call for Lambert’s head yet, even though I feel like our game management has cost us three wins this year. If, however, Lambert does not get rid of our garbage OC, I will be calling for his head.

[quote=“Iron9er, post:36, topic:30641”][quote=“Tintin, post:34, topic:30641”][quote=“Iron9er, post:31, topic:30641”]I’m not understanding the ‘we shouldn’t be in this game with the talent we have’ statements.

We had a somewhat healthy oline at the beginning of the Rice game. DAvis got hurt and we became real mediocre real fast. We hung in there today despite the oline.[/quote]

Yes, he dinked and dunked the whole game, that was my point. That’s all he has the ability to do, and what we allowed him to do in the first half. He had more td’s this game (4), then his whole career up to this point (3). This isn’t the same MTSU team that beat us last year, not without their QB. This is a team that was reeling with 2 straight losses to UTSA (not close) and Marshall (not close).

So you think the coaching performance was good last week? We were up 21-0 vs the last place team in conference and lost. That is good coaching?

Yes, we do have bad injuries to the Oline and they don’t look the same. To be fair, I was saying in my original post the OC had a much better game plan then our head coach. Decision making and D was the problem in this game.

Can anyone explain the 57 yd field goal attempt? The going for it on 4th down at the end of the half with 50 some seconds left allowing them to get a fg? These are bad in game coaching decisions despite what anyone thinks of the overall direction of the program.[/quote]

Sure didn’t like that at all. Didn’t like not trying a field goal from the 20 in the 2nd quarter…but guess what…all coaches from BElichick down make mistakes… and lots of them…every game.

But to me, the effort, the improvement every season far outweighs the bad. We are competing, developing players, and we seem to be graduating them.

[quote=“Submarley734, post:37, topic:30641”]Mullin needs to go. That should have been done at the end of last year. He is an FCS caliber coach, and he is calling our plays. Imagine how good Klugh can be when he’s not trying to make the OC look good, but instead, he has a real OC.

That being said, I don’t want to call for Lambert’s head yet, even though I feel like our game management has cost us three wins this year. If, however, Lambert does not get rid of our garbage OC, I will be calling for his head.[/quote]

KLugh had had less than a 50% completion rate in the last four games. What plays would you be calling? Keep in mind your oline consists of Barr, Zacherl and a freshman?

The real thing that pisses me off is this game was not on TV!! Senior day, we are in Charlotte, WTF?!? How many games have been televised this year locally? Not many. How do they expect to sell the program when the public doesn’t know we exist. Not surprised, just pissed.