My Fear Is Now Reality

Ever since coming to Charlotte and becoming a big 49er basketball fan, I never wanted to have to deal with this situation. Growing up as a kid in Washington DC, me and my family have bleed Maryland Terrapins sports for as long as I can remember. Season tickets to the Terps basketball games was a must. I always said I never want Charlotte to play the Terps, but I think there is no way around it.

How do I act? I can’t imagine rooting against one of these schools. Do I just sit on my hands and root for a good game knowing I am going 1-1 regardless.

This SUCKS.

This is simple. When in Charlotte… [B][COLOR=Green]FEAR THE NINERS![/COLOR][/B]

Must I bring back my post of the year to explain what to do in this situation? Really there is NO confusion on the matter, but we all appreciate you asking for input.

I’ll do it for you.

"Some perspective on the subject … not telling anyone else how to feel … but I think my Tarheel experience is much deeper and more significant than most others here … and please read all the way to the end.

So I grew up in Chapel Hill literally a 5 minute walk from campus. Both my parents were on faculty and I spent lots of time as a kid just hanging on campus. Through a friend’s father I was pretty attached to the basketball team, even eating a couple meals with them and getting to play some hoops with them. Amazing experience was after the Olympics and Walter Davis letting me wear his gold medal to lunch at Granville Towers. These things we do not forget. I never, and I mean never, missed a home game. We painted our street before the big games and stormed Franklin Street more than once. Then I went to undergrad there and am proud of my degree and even have a piece of the original Charmichael Auditorium floor (yes I spent extra to get one of the blue corner pieces). I could go on and on with stories (you have a lot when you usually sit not in the front row, but in front of that in fold out chairs literally on the edge of the court).

Great – there is the background.

Then there is now. I am at Charlotte and that’s all the matters. Do I hope that UNC-Chapel Hill still wins against some random team? Well yes I would rather they win than Duke or Wake, etc. But really more importantly I just don’t care in the end unless I am asked to choose, just mainly disinterested in their success. All I care about today is that Charlotte wins. That’s all that matters. THIS is the special place. THIS is who we root for day in and day out.

My tarheel gear was given away when I came to Charlotte and I have no interest in wearing it or seeing it any longer. Yes my diploma hangs in my home office, so yes I am proud of the past, but it is not today and I think that is the point people are making on here. You are HERE – try it out – I know you will love it! Wear green to games (don’t get me started on the number of people I have said something to because they are wearing another team’s gear at our games) and truly invest yourself in CHARLOTTE being your favorite. Enjoy the memories of elsewhere, but BLEED GREEN!

This is a special place … my favorite ever. If someone is here and is still rooting elsewhere it is him/her that is truly missing out! Sure rip on him some for it … most mostly, feel sorry for him :)"

It never gets old.

I grew up a huge Wake fan before coming to Charlotte because my dad and grandfather are both alums. After seeing them beat Charlotte 2 years back I really don’t care for them nearly as much anymore. It’s a real interesting feeling watching people you used to cheer with cheer against you. It’ll make you mad and that’s a good thing.

For me it is real simple… what will your diploma say? Maryland or Charlotte?

[QUOTE=49erWhit;243629]Ever since coming to Charlotte and becoming a big 49er basketball fan, I never wanted to have to deal with this situation. Growing up as a kid in Washington DC, me and my family have bleed Maryland Terrapins sports for as long as I can remember. Season tickets to the Terps basketball games was a must. I always said I never want Charlotte to play the Terps, but I think there is no way around it.

How do I act? I can’t imagine rooting against one of these schools. Do I just sit on my hands and root for a good game knowing I am going 1-1 regardless.

This SUCKS.[/QUOTE]

so you just admitted you are no different than the chumps who wear Tarheel gear to class, or (insert UNCC alum that roots for UNC). At least you are conflicted.

Nothing wrong with being a Terps fan, but you gotta bury it for 3 hrs/one night. You don’t have a Terps diploma.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;243637]For me it is real simple… what will your diploma say? Maryland or Charlotte?[/QUOTE]

thank you

What school did you go to? Metro is right, if you graduated from Charlotte, and you seriously have to think about whether or not to get super hype for the NINERS, you are no better than the dumbasses that roam campus in ACC shirts.

There are plenty of posters on this board who grew up rabidly cheering for duke/unc/wake/state/etc, but whenever the Niners face any of those teams, there is no doubt whatsoever in their mind that they will be going nuts for THEIR NINERS. You are a FORTY NINER now.

I always said I would pull for Charlotte if they played, and I will. I hate to lose and I hate when my teams lose. Looks like I need to just understand the fact that one of them is going to take it to the chin for one night. A win against Maryland is much more important for Charlotte than MD over Charlotte.

It still sucks.

I always said I would pull for Charlotte if they played, and I will. I hate to lose and I hate when my teams lose. Looks like I need to just understand the fact that one of them is going to take it to the chin for one night. A win against Maryland is much more important for Charlotte than MD over Charlotte.

It still sucks.

“My teams”?? HUH?? What school did you go to?

disclaimer: I take this all back if you did undergrad at Charlotte, then got you masters at MD or something. But assuming you graduated from Charlotte, and didnt go anywhere else, this schouldnt be an issue.

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;243633]I’ll do it for you.

"Some perspective on the subject … not telling anyone else how to feel … but I think my Tarheel experience is much deeper and more significant than most others here … and please read all the way to the end.

So I grew up in Chapel Hill literally a 5 minute walk from campus. Both my parents were on faculty and I spent lots of time as a kid just hanging on campus. Through a friend’s father I was pretty attached to the basketball team, even eating a couple meals with them and getting to play some hoops with them. Amazing experience was after the Olympics and Walter Davis letting me wear his gold medal to lunch at Granville Towers. These things we do not forget. I never, and I mean never, missed a home game. We painted our street before the big games and stormed Franklin Street more than once. Then I went to undergrad there and am proud of my degree and even have a piece of the original Charmichael Auditorium floor (yes I spent extra to get one of the blue corner pieces). I could go on and on with stories (you have a lot when you usually sit not in the front row, but in front of that in fold out chairs literally on the edge of the court).

Great – there is the background.

Then there is now. I am at Charlotte and that’s all the matters. Do I hope that UNC-Chapel Hill still wins against some random team? Well yes I would rather they win than Duke or Wake, etc. But really more importantly I just don’t care in the end unless I am asked to choose, just mainly disinterested in their success. All I care about today is that Charlotte wins. That’s all that matters. THIS is the special place. THIS is who we root for day in and day out.

My tarheel gear was given away when I came to Charlotte and I have no interest in wearing it or seeing it any longer. Yes my diploma hangs in my home office, so yes I am proud of the past, but it is not today and I think that is the point people are making on here. You are HERE – try it out – I know you will love it! Wear green to games (don’t get me started on the number of people I have said something to because they are wearing another team’s gear at our games) and truly invest yourself in CHARLOTTE being your favorite. Enjoy the memories of elsewhere, but BLEED GREEN!

This is a special place … my favorite ever. If someone is here and is still rooting elsewhere it is him/her that is truly missing out! Sure rip on him some for it … most mostly, feel sorry for him :)"

It never gets old.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the post. My favorite college basketball momemt was back in 1985 at Cole Field house in Maryland. I remember being in the front row sitting in our neighbors seats. I remember Len Bias coming down the floor on a fast break, leaping to the rim with a powerful dunk with a defender basically body slamming him to the floor. He got up, pumping his fist and then came over right at my seat and gave me a high five saying “nobody else on this court could do that, could they”. I remember, saying “NOBODY” and then he smiled. I was 8.

I will never for it. People can disagree with me all they want, but Len Bias was one of the greatest college basketball talents to step on a court.

His passing was a sad day in the state of Maryland.

[B]
[B]You have been banned from 104 for this insolent act.[/B]
[/B]

[QUOTE=Chisox17;243649]“My teams”?? HUH?? [B]What school did you go to?[/B]

disclaimer: I take this all back if you did undergrad at Charlotte, then got you masters at MD or something. But assuming you graduated from Charlotte, and didnt go anywhere else, this schouldnt be an issue.[/QUOTE]

I would say it as OK if he clearly said the Niners are my #1 team and I always hope MD does well in the ACC or whatever and that he is still a MD football fan. That would all be ok, but in this instance there should be do conflicting emotions. Maryland is simply a school you were a fan of. You attended Charlotte and are a part of the Charlotte family and that should make the decision VERY easy…

I would say it as OK if he clearly said the Niners are my #1 team and I always hope MD does well in the ACC or whatever and that he is still a MD football fan. That would all be ok, but in this instance there should be do conflicting emotions. Maryland is simply a school you were a fan of. You attended Charlotte and are a part of the Charlotte family and that should make the decision VERY easy..

[SIZE=5]EXACTLY. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I’ve said it a million times before, and I’ll say it again. There is nothing wrong with having a second favorite team. HOWEVER, if that team and the Niners ever face off, there really shouldnt be any conflicting emotions. I have a couple friends who grew up on Wake Forest basketball just like Whit grew up on MD. When the Niners faced off in Winston against Wake a couple years ago, you better believe those guys where going bonkers for the Niners whoop some Deacon ass.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Whit, correct me if Im wrong (I may have you confused with another poster), but didnt you play baseball for the 49ers? I’m thinking maybe a couple years before metro. If so, that makes this whole thing even more ridiculous…[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Chisox17;243658]Whit, correct me if Im wrong (I may have you confused with another poster), but didnt you play baseball for the 49ers? I’m thinking maybe a couple years before metro. If so, that makes this whole thing even more ridiculous…[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

don’t kid yourself, being an athlete at Charlotte doesn’t make you immune to this syndrome. I have seen plenty of athletes at Charlotte have softer spots for childhood teams- than the uniform on their back. f’ing amazing.

If this helps… in the realm of college basketball if Charlotte beats Maryland it does more for them in terms of respect and coverage, and in two weeks Maryland could beat a UNC or Duke so everybody stops giving them crap about losing to us, but now we look even better for that win. If Maryland beats us, nobody flinches.

Just a way of looking at it.

You attend Charlotte, correct? I don’t see the problem.

don't kid yourself, being an athlete at Charlotte doesn't make you immune to this syndrome. I have seen plenty of athletes at Charlotte have softer spots for childhood teams- than the uniform on their back. f'ing amazing.

Wow… You gotta be kidding me… I can’t imagine going all out on the field to win for my school, and actually having the same passion for a school hundreds of miles away who didn’t show the slightest interest in recruiting me.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;243668]Wow… You gotta be kidding me… I can’t imagine going all out on the field to win for my school, and actually having the same passion for a school hundreds of miles away who didn’t show the slightest interest in recruiting me.[/QUOTE]

it used to be real bad, I don’t know about today…
it made me want to fight a couple guys at times…teammates wearing UNC or State gear