Najee Garvin - 2016 PF signed LOI to Charlotte

Garvin committed tonight, recently came to Halton for a game. Averaging 27 pts and 11 rebs a game at Moravian Prep. Look for him to be a 4 here, 6’7 220lbs, athletic.

Based on coaching staffs previous recruiting, the kids size and hs stats, just happy we have a little bit of size coming in. We really need some 6’10"+ guys though.

can this kid start next season? if not, who will start at the power forward?

Vanhook

Vanhook[/quote]

we need some beef. im sure the staff is counting on transfers bc we cannot start benas.

https://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/najee-garvin-sf-2015
https://sports.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Najee-Garvin-165965

I don’t hate it. Seems decently big - could def be a 4 in CUSA. Like that he seems athletic and has some skills - though he will need to get that outside shot off quicker in college. Weird release.

Saw a link that said he had offers from Central Conn St, Stony Brook, etc last year. Maybe just didn’t qualify and went prep for a year?

Possible. Or wanted to improve his game and offers. I’m going to be optimistic and say he improved his offer list by committing to us.

I have nothing to go by but I would say we’re #notdun yet. ull see.

Everything I’ve read indicates he can shoot and play defense. We know Price goes after shooters, though his shot does look kind of weird. I hope the defensive part is true as we need that. He definitely needs to add size and I’m not so sure about his ball handling or passing. After years and years of poor ball handling under Major and Lutz I’m excited about how little this team turns the ball over.

We have had a number of tall, lanky guys not pan out - Nickerson, Blakely, etc. We also have Hudson and Bergang coming in. No one really seems to have much of a power game, but I have to believe that we can develop the talent and these guys will develop.

Right now we have such a dearth of talent in the front court that I’m still excited by this signing even if scouting reports seem a bit iffy. I’m also excited for anyone who wants to join us and chooses this great school.

Watched some of this kid’s tape. I can confirm that he is athletic, like Darion Clark type athletic, his game actually reminds me a lot of Darion Clark, hopefully minus the awful attitude. But I was watching his prep tape versus some basketball academy and I’ve seen more intensity in pickup games at the Y so I wasn’t able to gauge the defensive part of his game.

From your sig I would think we won’t have to worry about that. :smiley:

Garvin is 6’7, 220lbs and as others have stated, athletic. He’ll give us more size at the 4 spot next year, which we desperately need.

From your sig I would think we won’t have to worry about that. :D[/quote]

You’ve made a great point that I overlooked.

Will he be coming in as a freshman or sophomore?

I was thinking the same thing since he is currently at a post grad school, but Davis was at a post grad school too if im not mistaken and he came in as a freshman so im leaning towards freshman for najee

He’s taller than Clark though right?

I was thinking the same thing since he is currently at a post grad school, but Davis was at a post grad school too if im not mistaken and he came in as a freshman so im leaning towards freshman for najee[/quote]

He’s a 4 year guy. One year of prep, not junior college.

he looks like a much better shooter than darion clark.

he looks like a much better shooter than darion clark.[/quote]

He is taller than Clark and was a much better free throw shooter, post moves are very rough though which is what I was comparing to Clark, a guy who gets by because he is just bigger and stronger than everybody he is facing. I think he’s a great canvas for Price to work with though with his size and athleticism.

I was thinking the same thing since he is currently at a post grad school, but Davis was at a post grad school too if im not mistaken and he came in as a freshman so im leaning towards freshman for najee[/quote]

He’s a 4 year guy. One year of prep, not junior college.[/quote]
Awesome! Hopefully this kid can be an anchor.