Name Change part two

[URL]http://www.nineronline.com/media/storage/paper971/news/2008/02/16/News/Whats.In.A.Name-3226296.shtml[/URL]

Round two

clt says this is great. good find on mizzou as well.

In the UNC system however, changing a school’s name is not exactly high on the list of priorities. According to the UNC Board of Governors Chairman, Jim Phillips Jr., the UNC Board is extremely unaware of the pros and cons associated with the name change issue at this point. He said that there have not been any real discussions or debates on this issue at the UNC System level.

Phillips did say that in order to move this past merely a campus buzz, it would have to be approved by all university officials and then brought forward to the UNC System and passed on that level.

“I’m not sure of the exact procedure,” Phillips said, “but I am confident that the board of trustees, and our board would have to pass on it.”

Boomer 31, There is a wealth of good researched information in the article. When discussing the name change for UNCC, there are two ways to go about it: 1. through an official name change which would require the UNC Board of Governors and 2. a name change through “branding”. It is my understanding that a branding name change would only require the approval of the UNCC Board of Trustees. What is your understanding about this?

Branding would just require the trustees. Basically all it would take is a presentation and vote, because we wouldn’t be technically changing the name of the school, just the ‘brand’, much like VTech did. That’s what the next segment in the series will be about.

It’s an interesting idea, because basically everyone’s happy. The name given out on degrees would still be UNC Charlotte, but the name we go by would be Charlotte University, or whatever shortened brand is decided on.

[QUOTE=Boomer31;297792]Branding would just require the trustees. Basically all it would take is a presentation and vote, because we wouldn’t be technically changing the name of the school, just the ‘brand’, much like VTech did. That’s what the next segment in the series will be about.

It’s an interesting idea, because basically everyone’s happy. The name given out on degrees would still be UNC Charlotte, but the name we go by would be Charlotte University, or whatever shortened brand is decided on.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I was lead to believe as well. I think for those of us who advocate a name change, the branding method would be the second (compromise) option. By the way, let’s not forget that in North Carolina, UNC Chapel Hill falls into the same category as Virginia Tech in that the official name is UNC Chapel Hill, but they brand themselves as UNC. Perhaps you could mention that in a future article.

Branding would just require the trustees. Basically all it would take is a presentation and vote, because we wouldn't be technically changing the name of the school, just the 'brand', much like VTech did. That's what the next segment in the series will be about.

It’s an interesting idea, because basically everyone’s happy. The name given out on degrees would still be UNC Charlotte, but the name we go by would be Charlotte University, or whatever shortened brand is decided on.

I don’t think this will accomplish what we want. I support the name change for athletics, but quite frankly there are stubborn (stupid) people around Charlotte who still refuse to use it and act like it is confusing. Check out the last paragraph from the guy from VT.

"We've never officially changed our name," said Mark Owczarski, Director of News & Information, "(but) it's just that we go by the shorter version."

Owczarski said that in news releases and most ways that the public recognizes, the school goes by Virginia Tech. The shorter, easy to remember title has helped with branding.

“Yes, there is some confusion from time to time,” Owczarski said, “but the university refers to itself as Virginia Tech, and as a result, most people have caught on by now.”

How would the school approach being U of Charlotte or Charlotte U? Would the signs on campus still say UNC Charlotte, would the entry sign? What does UNC Chapel Hill do with the signs on campus or Virginia Tech? What do those schools do with their official headlines in the news, what are they refered to as, etc.

Those things would be interesting.

Branding would just require the trustees. Basically all it would take is a presentation and vote, because we wouldn't be technically changing the name of the school, just the 'brand', much like VTech did. That's what the next segment in the series will be about.

I am 100% behind the idea of re-branding us UofC. If they want diplomas and school bank accts, official business, etc to remain UNCC, that is fine. But going the Virginia Tech route is something I’ve advocated for sometime now. Georgia Tech does the same.

I don't think this will accomplish what we want. I support the name change for athletics, but quite frankly there are stubborn (stupid) people around Charlotte who still refuse to use it and act like it is confusing. Check out the last paragraph from the guy from VT.

I agree.

We “rebranded” our athletics program years ago and we still deal with UNC Charlotte, UNCC, UNC-C, UNC-Charlotte, ect.

It has to be a total name change or we are just wasting our time.

[QUOTE=casstommy;297832]I agree.

We “rebranded” our athletics program years ago and we still deal with UNC Charlotte, UNCC, UNC-C, UNC-Charlotte, ect.

It has to be a total name change or we are just wasting our time.[/QUOTE]

If it was a total conversion like Virginia Tech, it would be respected by the masses.

I agree.

It has to be a total name change or we are just wasting our time.

I disagree. I think if we had rebranded both our athletics program AND our university to “Charlotte” back in 2002, we would not be having the confusion we have today.

If it was a total conversion like Virginia Tech, it would be respected by the masses.

Well what goes into a total conversion? Are we talking about changing the signs on and around campus, changing the website, stuff like that? I view that as a total name change. I want UNCC striken from the books totally, else you leave the window open for some idiot to screw it up (and you know it will happen)

[QUOTE=casstommy;297837]Well what goes into a total conversion? Are we talking about changing the signs on and around campus, changing the website, stuff like that? I view that as a total name change. I want UNCC striken from the books totally, else you leave the window open for some idiot to screw it up (and you know it will happen)[/QUOTE]

Well Virginia Tech’s website is www.vt.edu
UNC Chapel Hill’s website is www.unc.edu

I never really been on either campus so I don’t know what the signage on either schools campus has.

Well what goes into a total conversion? Are we talking about changing the signs on and around campus, changing the website, stuff like that? I view that as a total name change. I want UNCC striken from the books totally, else you leave the window open for some idiot to screw it up (and you know it will happen)

Virginia Tech didn’t do a total complete name change, and everything on that campus is “VT”. Their basketball team is VT. The signs on their campus is VT. The community says VT. I think it’s silly to suggest that we would still have a problem with a rebranding if they clearly haven’t had a problem.

We should do that.

Virginia Tech didn't do a total complete name change, and everything on that campus is "VT". Their basketball team is VT. The signs on their campus is VT. The community says VT. I think it's silly to suggest that we would still have a problem with a rebranding if they clearly haven't had a problem.

We should do that.

Well that sounds like a total name change to me. I guess we are just missing each other in the semantics. Our university has done a piss poor job at “branding” ourselves for years. I dont expet that to change here.

Virginia Tech didn't do a total complete name change, and everything on that campus is "VT". Their basketball team is VT. The signs on their campus is VT. The community says VT. I think it's silly to suggest that we would still have a problem with a rebranding if they clearly haven't had a problem.

We should do that.

Did you read this in the article or in my post from above. The guy says they have had issues.

"We've never officially changed our name," said Mark Owczarski, Director of News & Information, "(but) it's just that we go by the shorter version."

Owczarski said that in news releases and most ways that the public recognizes, the school goes by Virginia Tech. The shorter, easy to remember title has helped with branding.

“Yes, there is some confusion from time to time,” Owczarski said, “but the university refers to itself as Virginia Tech, and as a result, most people have caught on by now.”

Well Virginia Tech's website is [URL=http://www.vt.edu]www.vt.edu[/URL] UNC Chapel Hill's website is [URL=http://www.unc.edu]www.unc.edu[/URL]

I never really been on either campus so I don’t know what the signage on either schools campus has.

By the way, no one has www.charlotte.edu. Let’s take it.

There is one great big advantage to changing just the brand, it takes the decision out of the BoG’s hands and leaves it as an internal decision.

The diploma, official state documents and such would stay UNC Charlotte; but the signs, websites, road signs, publications, student packets, clothing, and most important, the sign on the football stadium would say:

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][CENTER][SIZE=5]The City of Charlotte Welcomes you to:

[SIZE=7]The University of Charlotte

Home of the 49ers[/SIZE][/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

I would find it hard to oppose this method, Phil.

[QUOTE=gotLutz;297851]Virginia Tech didn’t do a total complete name change, and everything on that campus is “VT”. Their basketball team is VT. The signs on their campus is VT. The community says VT. I think it’s silly to suggest that we would still have a problem with a rebranding if they clearly haven’t had a problem.

We should do that.[/QUOTE]
QFT

Did you read this in the article or in my post from above. The guy says they have had issues.

Believe me, man. I only say this because I grew up and lived most of my life in Virginia, even got into VA Tech. And believe me when I say that “VA Tech” is how virtually every Virginian refers to the school. Period. Sports and academics alike. Call up anybody you know from Blacksburg, Southern VA, Virginia, the East Coast, or beyond, and they will say VA Tech. Guaranteed.

You interpreted the guy in the article a bit incorrectly. When he says “there is still some confusion,” he’s referring the few people who see the name–Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University–and don’t know what that is. Nobody is confused about what VA Tech is. You see what I mean?