Name Confusion Log

[quote=“emf, post:1876, topic:12347”]One huge hurdle to a name change is the technical side of things. One of the comments referred to the university’s domain name (uncc.edu), suggesting that it’s trivial to just change it if we didn’t want to promote “UNCC”. Universities are only allowed one dot-edu domain name. If you want to change the domain name, you have 6 months, with a possible additional 6 months on request, to migrate from one domain to another. Think of all the professor’s citations, email addresses in publications that would break, etc. I’m not sure how you argue the benefits of a name change with that much downside, plus adding in the philosophical differences in the name change itself.

Probably the most we can hope for in the next 10 years is a branding change like Virginia Tech / Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. The people that want “UNC” on their diploma are appeased, but it gets us further away from Chapel Hill in daily conversation and unifies Athletics and Academics. Still going to be a struggle to convince the locals to stop saying “UNCC” no matter what, though.[/quote]

Yet that didn’t stop the powers in charge at Memphis from thinking that was the best route for them.

Charlotte State University is awful. If you think we have name confusion now, it will be even worse with Charlotte State University.

There also those who say having UNC in our name makes it seem like we are a satellite campus of UNC CH. To me, the potential confusion of whether we are a city-funded school is a better alternative than being considered a satellite campus.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:1880, topic:12347”]Charlotte State University is fine by me.

University of Charlotte is okay too.

Hell, UNCC is okay in my book. I’m just sick of having to support two different brands, it simply isn’t working.

We have football now, the biggest tool of brand awareness a college not named Tufts, Wheaton, Harvard, or Yale can have. We are wasting that tool by flying it under a different brand.

The flip side to that is that with football carrying the same brand as the university, many of the issues that caused the change from UNCC to just “Charlotte” on the athletic front could be alleviated and reversed much more easily.

I’ve said it a hundred times and I’ll say it a hundred times again… I don’t really care what we call ourselves, I’m just ready for us to get out of our own way and settle on a single brand. We’re shooting ourselves in the foot right now.[/quote]

I don’t know how when looking at a football jersey you can think UNC Charlotte(or UNCC) across the chest would look better than just Charlotte.

If you’re for changing athletics back to UNC Charlotte, does that mean you would rather remove the C-pick on the football helmet and have UNC Charlotte on UNCC? They’re all abbreviations of some sort.

[quote=“Normmm, post:1882, topic:12347”]I don’t know how when looking at a football jersey you can think UNC Charlotte(or UNCC) across the chest would look better than just Charlotte.

If you’re for changing athletics back to UNC Charlotte, does that mean you would rather remove the C-pick on the football helmet and have UNC Charlotte on UNCC? They’re all abbreviations of some sort.[/quote]

Frankly, trying to claim that we are UNC Charlotte and that we’re not UNCC was a dumb move to begin with… it’s an abbreviated world, and as long as our initials are U.N.C.C. that’s how we’ll be referred. Period, end of discussion.

If we build a brand around it - a consistent brand around it - then we will be successful. There’s little confusion regarding UCLA, UNLV, UTEP, and even UTSA. Don’t give me the argument that “they don’t share letters with the more well-known school in the state.” That’s not the reason that they are able to build a brand around their four-letter name. They’re able to build successful brands around their names because of football.

Would I rather be the University of Charlotte? Of course I would… but only if that applies to all facets of our University’s brand. If that’s off of the table, I’d much rather our University operate under a singular unified brand than this identity crisis we’ve forced on ourselves.

As for the C-pick vs. UNCC on the helmets… I’d take just about anything over that garbage logo we currently have on our helmets.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:1883, topic:12347”][quote=“Normmm, post:1882, topic:12347”]I don’t know how when looking at a football jersey you can think UNC Charlotte(or UNCC) across the chest would look better than just Charlotte.

If you’re for changing athletics back to UNC Charlotte, does that mean you would rather remove the C-pick on the football helmet and have UNC Charlotte on UNCC? They’re all abbreviations of some sort.[/quote]

Frankly, trying to claim that we are UNC Charlotte and that we’re not UNCC was a dumb move to begin with… it’s an abbreviated world, and as long as our initials are U.N.C.C. that’s how we’ll be referred. Period, end of discussion.

If we build a brand around it - a consistent brand around it - then we will be successful. There’s little confusion regarding UCLA, UNLV, UTEP, and even UTSA. Don’t give me the argument that “they don’t share letters with the more well-known school in the state.” That’s not the reason that they are able to build a brand around their four-letter name. They’re able to build successful brands around their names because of football.

Would I rather be the University of Charlotte? Of course I would… but only if that applies to all facets of our University’s brand. If that’s off of the table, I’d much rather our University operate under a singular unified brand than this identity crisis we’ve forced on ourselves.

As for the C-pick vs. UNCC on the helmets… I’d take just about anything over that garbage logo we currently have on our helmets.[/quote]

But we used to be unified and confusion still happened. I do believe that our situation is 100% unique and the four letter combination of our acronym would always be confused with those bastards in Crap Hole, NC. Football or no football.

As for creating a unified brand and making it consistent across all departments, of course that makes perfect sense and we should do it but if in my lifetime the school decides to fully embrace UNCC I will die a little on the inside and would lose a large part of what connects me to the school: Charlotte 49ers athletics.

Regarding the point about being named University of Charlotte and people thinking we are city funded? Really? I have never heard of this. Does Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis or Miami have this issue? Just because the name of the city and not the state is in a name doesn’t mean that it’s not a state institution or even a private institution. I don’t know, that argument just seemed out of left field for me.

Without naming names, let’s just say that one of the most powerful opponents to the name change argument raised this objection to “University of Charlotte” in a conversation I was privy to. I’m just sharing my observations and perspective so we’re prepared to counter those arguments, not necessarily advocating one way or another.

[quote=“SteauA, post:1884, topic:12347”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:1883, topic:12347”][quote=“Normmm, post:1882, topic:12347”]I don’t know how when looking at a football jersey you can think UNC Charlotte(or UNCC) across the chest would look better than just Charlotte.

As for the C-pick vs. UNCC on the helmets… I’d take just about anything over that garbage logo we currently have on our helmets.[/quote]

But we used to be unified and confusion still happened. I do believe that our situation is 100% unique and the four letter combination of our acronym would always be confused with those bastards in Crap Hole, NC. Football or no football.

As for creating a unified brand and making it consistent across all departments, of course that makes perfect sense and we should do it but if in my lifetime the school decides to fully embrace UNCC I will die a little on the inside and would lose a large part of what connects me to the school: Charlotte 49ers athletics.

Regarding the point about being named University of Charlotte and people thinking we are city funded? Really? I have never heard of this. Does Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis or Miami have this issue? Just because the name of the city and not the state is in a name doesn’t mean that it’s not a state institution or even a private institution. I don’t know, that argument just seemed out of left field for me.[/quote]

At one time Memphis was Memphis State - not sure of the name history of other city based schools though. I can see the UNC system wanting us to follow other city named schools in naming convention regardless.

I am not as passionate about the name change as others here, although the University of Charlotte would work nicely for me. I have been around long enough that we were UNC-C when I applied; UNCC when I got here; and UNC at Charlotte, now UNC Charlotte, as we ran from the acronym. I think SteauA is correct that “UNCC” just lends itself to confusion unlike say NCSU, UNLV, etc. Worse than being mistaken for Chapel Hill, too many people have thought the “CC” was community college. Now that doesn’t make sense, and I am sure many of those confused could not get into a good community college, but I have heard it too many times for it to have just been one particular idiot. emf makes some excellent points about changing the name, but companies do it all the time. Perhaps the biggest difference is companies can keep their old domain name and redirect to the new one. emf mentions that you can only keep the old one six months for an .edu name. You can request another six months, for a total of 12, which is still really short, so there would be a gap there that is hard to mitigate.

Unless and until we make a change, I prefer to keep the Charlotte brand for Athletics. While our branding is confusing and inconsistent, I think this is the apex of our efforts. It actually works much of the time and that should improve if we become relevant again in hoops, and as we are on TV for football every week.

[quote=“Nugget, post:1887, topic:12347”]I am not as passionate about the name change as others here, although the University of Charlotte would work nicely for me. I have been around long enough that we were UNC-C when I applied; UNCC when I got here; and UNC at Charlotte, now UNC Charlotte, as we ran from the acronym. I think SteauA is correct that “UNCC” just lends itself to confusion unlike say NCSU, UNLV, etc. Worse than being mistaken for Chapel Hill, too many people have thought the “CC” was community college. Now that doesn’t make sense, and I am sure many of those confused could not get into a good community college, but I have heard it too many times for it to have just been one particular idiot. emf makes some excellent points about changing the name, but companies do it all the time. Perhaps the biggest difference is companies can keep their old domain name and redirect to the new one. emf mentions that you can only keep the old one six months for an .edu name. You can request another six months, for a total of 12, which is still really short, so there would be a gap there that is hard to mitigate.

Unless and until we make a change, I prefer to keep the Charlotte brand for Athletics. While our branding is confusing and inconsistent, I think this is the apex of our efforts. It actually works much of the time and that should improve if we become relevant again in hoops, and as we are on TV for football every week.[/quote]

To piggyback off that, like I said earlier, the ESPNU broadcast was flawless in their coverage. Every mention was correct and I did not hear “UNC” a single time in any context. All their graphics were correct, all the logos, everything. Even when they showed the the 1977 final four run highlights with Cornbread, they still referred to us as Charlotte.

It was great. And the thing is, if someone is confused and doesn’t know what “Charlotte 49ers” is, guess what, if they google it, the attached photo is the first result. Pretty self explanatory after that.

edit: On the contrary, if you simply google “UNC Charlotte”, the last result on the first page is the first Charlotte 49ers related result. If you search “UNCC” you don’t get any Charlotte 49ers related link until the bottom of page 2.

CCCUSC
Coastal Carolina College of the University of South Carolina.

Yes, that was their real name. Yes, people were resistant to changing it. Yes, resisting that change was super dumb.

I certainly think people hold it in higher esteem now than they would if it still had a subservient name like that.

clt asks who controls charlotte.edu?

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:1886, topic:12347”][quote=“SteauA, post:1884, topic:12347”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:1883, topic:12347”][quote=“Normmm, post:1882, topic:12347”]I don’t know how when looking at a football jersey you can think UNC Charlotte(or UNCC) across the chest would look better than just Charlotte.

Frankly, trying to claim that we are UNC Charlotte and that we’re not UNCC was a dumb move to begin with… it’s an abbreviated world, and as long as our initials are U.N.C.C. that’s how we’ll be referred. Period, end of discussion.[/quote]

Regarding the point about being named University of Charlotte and people thinking we are city funded? Really? I have never heard of this. Does Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis or Miami have this issue? Just because the name of the city and not the state is in a name doesn’t mean that it’s not a state institution or even a private institution. I don’t know, that argument just seemed out of left field for me.[/quote]

At one time Memphis was Memphis State - not sure of the name history of other city based schools though. I can see the UNC system wanting us to follow other city named schools in naming convention regardless.[/quote]

But if that’s the argument(which it probably is) it’s a dumb one. Because they decided it was best to switch from Memphis State to Memphis.

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:1889, topic:12347”]CCCUSC
Coastal Carolina College of the University of South Carolina.

Yes, that was their real name. Yes, people were resistant to changing it. Yes, resisting that change was super dumb.

I certainly think people hold it in higher esteem now than they would if it still had a subservient name like that.[/quote] There you go. University of Charlotte it is.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:1883, topic:12347”][quote=“Normmm, post:1882, topic:12347”]I don’t know how when looking at a football jersey you can think UNC Charlotte(or UNCC) across the chest would look better than just Charlotte.

Frankly, trying to claim that we are UNC Charlotte and that we’re not UNCC was a dumb move to begin with… it’s an abbreviated world, and as long as our initials are U.N.C.C. that’s how we’ll be referred. Period, end of discussion.[/quote]

[font=verdana]Yes, in an abbreviated world, I’ll take Charlotte over UNCC.[/font]

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:1883, topic:12347”][font=verdana]

[/font][/quote][font=verdana]

If what you really want is for the University of Charlotte then I probably wouldn’t throw out other suggestions. That’s taking steps backwards and muddying the water even more.[/font]

Doesn’t necessarily apply to the community college confusion, but I definitely know college graduates(some on our own campus) who think we are a satellite campus of UNC CH.

Nobody has it registered.

Everyone seems to be set on University of Charlotte but I would be fine with Charlotte State University.

That gets rid of the name confusion and also seems to me would be easier to get approval for because their are several other universities in the state system with that naming scheme.

I think it would be more than a reasonable request considering the name confusion issue we have and the fact others are using the same nomenclature.

Going for University of Charlotte may get resistance. Some folks might think we are trying to put on airs of some form because it’s different from what others in the system have.

It’s a fine point and ridiculous I know, but that’s how people think.

We would get far less resistance to Charlotte State University.

Charlotte state is a step up from uncc, but I still don’t care much for it.

[quote=“Niner National, post:1897, topic:12347”]Charlotte state is a step up from uncc, but I still don’t care much for it.[/quote] UNCC makes us sound like a satellite of Chapel Hill. Charlotte State would most certainly cause some of less enlightened to conclude we were a satellite of NC State. Never underestimate the stupidity of the general populace.

clt recommends University of University City at Charlotte.

[quote=“cltniners, post:1899, topic:12347”]clt recommends University of University City at Charlotte.[/quote] …or Yale.