National Love for Eddie on Gameday

Jay Bilas’ GameDay Difference Maker today:

Eddie Basden

Bilas: “He is easily my National Defensive Player of the Year…If he played for Duke or Carolina he would be hands down the National Defensive Player of the Year.”

Then they shot it back to Fowler who said, “Yeah, it is about time for him to get some recognition on the national level.”

(I Tivoed it so those are exact quotes…Haha)

They had a great highlight package put together of him and talked about what he meant to the team, how he does everything, etc.

Digger went with Ryan Gomes, he picks Big East guys every single week.

See everyone at Picasso’s tonight…GO NINERS

[i]Originally posted by brobrian11[/i]@Feb 19 2005, 12:00 PM [b] Digger went with Ryan Gomes, he picks Big East guys every single week. [/b]
Because Digger Phelps is an ignorant, know-nothing douche.

Glad Fowler and Bilas gave us some love.

Thanks for the quotes, brobrian. I don’t know how I missed it.

[b]Because Digger Phelps is an ignorant, know-nothing douche. [/b]

Digger’s IQ would have to rise to reach that level B)

with his stats, what about “National Player of Year”, I’m serious. He does everything, I guess games like ECU when he did nothing hurt, and he’s not a big name. But when you talk about the “really” best player in country you have to include Eddie in the discussion.

The better we do, the better he does. But he can’t win the Wooden Award, he’s not on the list.

If we go undefeated from here on out, he will get some looks from award committees.

Boxing analysts & pundits often use the “pound for pound” analogy when discussing the best all-around fighters. I think this would fit in Eddie’s case. No matter of size, school, position, etc. Eddie belongs in any discussion of the best ALL-AROUND players in the nation. Problem is he doesn’t get enough pub. That seems to be changing slowly but surely. Preach on Bilas…tell the rest of the country what they’re missing.

[i]Originally posted by brobrian11[/i]@Feb 19 2005, 01:00 PM [b] Digger went with Ryan Gomes [/b]
you mean of all the great difference makers of teams with losing records (11-15 Providence) digger went with gomes? im not saying digger had to agree but at least pick a guy on a tourney bound team
[i]Originally posted by brobrian11[/i]@Feb 19 2005, 12:00 PM [b] Bilas: "He is easily my National Defensive Player of the Year...If he played for Duke or Carolina he would be hands down the National Defensive Player of the Year." [/b]
All I can say is I'm glad he doesn't!

And he’s playing tonight like he deserves it.

Eddie for 1st team All-American

Digger is a Pricker. He has some personal issue with us. He won’t even bring us up or say our name unless someone else on the set does. What a flaming A-hole!!

Eddie has moved from 8th to 6th in the latest player rankings. He truly is awesome. I can’t wait until he gets player of the year in the conference.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketbal…regularseason/G

Would they give him POY and Defensive POY?

[i]Originally posted by brobrian11[/i]@Feb 19 2005, 12:00 PM [b] Jay Bilas' GameDay Difference Maker today:

Eddie Basden

Bilas: “He is easily my National Defensive Player of the Year…If he played for Duke or Carolina he would be hands down the National Defensive Player of the Year.”

Then they shot it back to Fowler who said, “Yeah, it is about time for him to get some recognition on the national level.”

(I Tivoed it so those are exact quotes…Haha)

They had a great highlight package put together of him and talked about what he meant to the team, how he does everything, etc.

Digger went with Ryan Gomes, he picks Big East guys every single week.

See everyone at Picasso’s tonight…GO NINERS [/b]

Matt Swierad told Coach about the comments during the postgame and Bobby asked if Bilas really said he thought Basden was the best defender in college basketball. Coach thinks so but he seemed stunned that it was said by Bilas on national TV.

Couple things:

• Who is Matt Sweiard?
  • Bilas definitely said them. He also mentioned Eddie having 5 steals against DePaul. Has Bilas said something in the past that would make Bobby surprised that he would praise Charlotte?
  • I really think everyone at ESPN loves the Charlotte program except for Digger. Phelps is to ESPN college basketball what Billy Packer is to CBS. Both of them have been there forever, nobody would care if they left, and they add nothing but criticism and bias to their coverage analysis.
  • It’s great that Eddie followed up the shout out with a career day. The NBA has to be taking notice.

Great win. Nice to have a boring game like that every once in a while. This Iti starting thing has to change soon. It just seems like some sort of obligation for him to continue to get the starting nod at this point.

On to Memphis…

Swierad calls all of our games on WFNZ and is the host of Lutz Live. He brought it up during the Tulane postgame talk with Lutz. Best defender in college bball is a pretty bold statement. Bilas knows our team and Lutz well. He has always had positive things to say.

You could send it in to “Ask the Coach” at charlotte49ers.com and he may comment on it during his radio show Thursday.

Whilst trash talking on the memphistigers.org, one of their faithful admitted that Eddie deserves Conference POY.

When we beat loserville, EB WILL be POY in CUSA. If we lose to them he won’t. Garcia will. Count on it.

digger is a moron, evidence: picked indiana for the NCAAs