NC Unemployment Year End date this week

[QUOTE=ninerID;438979]i both agree and disagree.

I don’t mind the first few weeks to make sure that a person doesn’t get behind on a house payment after being “let go” for no fault of their own, only being in a company that isn’t doing well, which could be because of bad decisions people way above them made.

However, this whole 26 + 26 +1350 week extension stuff has to end. Two of my coworker’s wives were let go at their job, they don’t even have to do anything now. They just sign in from the internet, and a check is direct deposited.

One of the families has a 3 year old that was in daycare, now that the wife is at home, no daycare. With unemployment and the savings of daycare, they net more money now. Zero incentive for a lot of people (not all) to go back to work.[/QUOTE]

I can agree with this in theory…and I have complained to Raleigh that their system promotes people not to work…including myself. But, I think for those of us in fields that have been hit the worst that unemployment is a savior. Yes, I know there are people abusing the system and living off the governement, but its not the unemployed people on here who are those type of people. If you want to talk about that sort of thing then lets talk about the wastefulness of medicare/medicaid, welfare, food stamps, social security, etc etc and the people who live soley off of those sources. Those people are the lazy ones who have a choice in the matter, the unemployed here basically get tossed into the streets to fend for ourselves…with nobody running out to help us…you don’t see us getting a bailout.

Unemployment is not a bailout because thats why employers pay money in every year for each employee that they have to cover unemployment insurance when its needed. Now if the government goes out and spends it on something else thats their fault. Thats corrupt/greedy government. Then you have the employers who for what ever reason were “forced” to lay people off. Those people then get penalized next year because they had unemployment claims against them. The premiums are then higher, which is in short a kind of punishment that they deserve. Just my two sense.

So I will agree with you that people live off the system…but some of us need it just to get by in times like these. Try having a mortgage, kids, car payments, paying health insurance out of your pocket, student loans and everything else that you might have on 1200 a month. The money we do get is a joke. You try living off of 10-12k a year. See how fun that is…see how luxurious that is…its not.

I took a job making $7 an hour when I graudated college because I couldn’t find anything else. I picked up a second job. I could have applied for unemployment, but I didn’t. I went to goodwill to pick up a suit for job interviews. You can get by, but it’s not easy. I worked a lot of hours to get to a decent paying job because the job market was already starting to evaporate when I graduated. It’s a great thing I didn’t stick to working for a newspaper, because I would be really screwed right now. When I first started dating my girlfriend, I was working 80+ hours a week. Even when I went back to one job, I was working 60+ hours a week.

If you’re waiting on a job, it may never come. Unemployment is a crutch and you have admitted to using it in this thread. Good luck on job hunting, but you could find a job.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;438933]Bingo. Unemployment isn’t a necessity, it’s a luxury.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ninerID;438979]i both agree and disagree.

I don’t mind the first few weeks to make sure that a person doesn’t get behind on a house payment after being “let go” for no fault of their own, only being in a company that isn’t doing well, which could be because of bad decisions people way above them made.

However, this whole 26 + 26 +1350 week extension stuff has to end. Two of my coworker’s wives were let go at their job, they don’t even have to do anything now. They just sign in from the internet, and a check is direct deposited.

One of the families has a 3 year old that was in daycare, now that the wife is at home, no daycare. With unemployment and the savings of daycare, they net more money now. Zero incentive for a lot of people (not all) to go back to work.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Powerbait;439096]I took a job making $7 an hour when I graudated college because I couldn’t find anything else. I picked up a second job. I could have applied for unemployment, but I didn’t. I went to goodwill to pick up a suit for job interviews. You can get by, but it’s not easy. I worked a lot of hours to get to a decent paying job because the job market was already starting to evaporate when I graduated. It’s a great thing I didn’t stick to working for a newspaper, because I would be really screwed right now. When I first started dating my girlfriend, I was working 80+ hours a week. Even when I went back to one job, I was working 60+ hours a week.

If you’re waiting on a job, it may never come. Unemployment is a crutch and you have admitted to using it in this thread. Good luck on job hunting, but you could find a job.[/QUOTE]

I’m going to go out on a limb and say neither of you have been on unemployment within the last year, or have ever been on it.

Am I correct?

I doubt more than a few people on this board were old enough to even have a job the last time the economy was this bad. This isn’t the same as the last few recessions that have hit the country. We’re at 26 year lows.

The kinds of people that lost their jobs this time around are also different. In the past, mostly low skilled or inexperienced people lost their jobs while the rest were largely unaffected. This time, very experienced, highly educated employees lost their jobs. We are now competing with them. Anyone that is a recent graduate or has only a couple years of work experience cannot compete.

People pay into unemployment, so when they lose their jobs they have every right to that money. I think there should be documented proof that you have applied / interviewed to try to become gainfully employed again, but this idea that well I can just walk around and get a job in 2 weeks is garbage.

I know for damn sure that if I were laid off I would not take any old job to make ends meet. I would utilize my unemployment benefits that allow me the flexibility to interview without a problem. Why get stuck in some dead end job just to get the same $ as you would collect from unemployment, which then makes it difficult to go interview / travel like you may have to in order to get a job in your career field?

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;439132]People pay into unemployment, so when they lose their jobs they have every right to that money. I think there should be documented proof that you have applied / interviewed to try to become gainfully employed again, but this idea that well I can just walk around and get a job in 2 weeks is garbage.

I know for damn sure that if I were laid off I would not take any old job to make ends meet. I would utilize my unemployment benefits that allow me the flexibility to interview without a problem. Why get stuck in some dead end job just to get the same $ as you would collect from unemployment, which then makes it difficult to go interview / travel like you may have to in order to get a job in your career field?[/QUOTE]

How long is it okay to stay on unemployment though?

[QUOTE=Powerbait;439134]How long is it okay to stay on unemployment though?[/QUOTE]

That depends. Some fields have been hit much harder than others.

Two of my friends in my field got laid off a while ago. It took one 51 weeks to get a new job, the other has been unemployed for 13 months. Both interviewed a number of times at a number of places. Most of the time they lost out to individuals with years more experience.

My still unemployed friend is still applying and interviewing, but has also decided to begin the application process for his PhD in City Planning.

The real estate / development / architecture / planning / civil engineering fields have been crushed by this recession / “depression”, and many people in those fields have put a ton of time, effort, and education into their careers, it behooves them to make the best attempt to remain in them.

I’m having a hard time reconciling these 2 statements.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;439142]That depends. Some fields have been hit much harder than others.

Two of my friends in my field got laid off a while ago. It took one 51 weeks to get a new job, the other has been unemployed for 13 months. Both interviewed a number of times at a number of places. Most of the time they lost out to individuals with years more experience.

My still unemployed friend is still applying and interviewing, but has also decided to begin the application process for his PhD in City Planning.

The real estate / development / architecture / planning / civil engineering fields have been crushed by this recession / “depression”, and many people in those fields have put a ton of time, effort, and education into their careers, it behooves them to make the best attempt to remain in them.[/QUOTE]

Okay, but you didn’t answer my question. Unless your answer is, as long as it takes them to find the job that they want. I don’t think many people get the job they want. I know I don’t have the job I want. I have the job I have. Being unemployed sucks, especially if you have bills to pay. I understand and I have been there. But I took work from construction temp agencies until I found another job. I got paid $45 a day (because I had a car) to dig ditches and do other fun jobs. Unemployment is a crutch, just like most social welfare programs. I’m not saying it should be abolished, but boy oh boy is it easy to manipulate. Too many people feel like they deserve a good job, not enough people are willing to earn it.

If I were hiring someone, I would be much more likely to hire the guy with no gap in his employment, even if it was an “inferior” job, because he’s showing the work ethic. I don’t have that capacity in my current job, but I have in the past. Also, the longer the unemployment, the worse that employee is going to look in my eyes. Unless they have a good reason.

As far as finding another job while you’re working, well, I’ve never had an employer that wasn’t willing to schedule an interview that wouldn’t interfere with my current work schedule. It has always been easier to advance my career and find new work while I had a job.

[QUOTE=casstommy;439144]I’m having a hard time reconciling these 2 statements.[/QUOTE]

I wasn’t gonna say it.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;439159]Okay, but you didn’t answer my question. Unless your answer is, as long as it takes them to find the job that they want. I don’t think many people get the job they want. I know I don’t have the job I want. I have the job I have. Being unemployed sucks, especially if you have bills to pay. I understand and I have been there. But I took work from construction temp agencies until I found another job. I got paid $45 a day (because I had a car) to dig ditches and do other fun jobs. Unemployment is a crutch, just like most social welfare programs. I’m not saying it should be abolished, but boy oh boy is it easy to manipulate. Too many people feel like they deserve a good job, not enough people are willing to earn it.

If I were hiring someone, I would be much more likely to hire the guy with no gap in his employment, even if it was an “inferior” job, because he’s showing the work ethic. I don’t have that capacity in my current job, but I have in the past. Also, the longer the unemployment, the worse that employee is going to look in my eyes. Unless they have a good reason.

As far as finding another job while you’re working, well, I’ve never had an employer that wasn’t willing to schedule an interview that wouldn’t interfere with my current work schedule. It has always been easier to advance my career and find new work while I had a job.

I wasn’t gonna say it.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t mean a dream job of my choice, but I’m not going to take an unrelated **** job just to take it, when I do have that temporary crutch available. Maybe after 7 or 8 months, then I would.

Most white collar jobs only interview between office hours (9am to 5pm), so if I were to work in an office environment at a job just to have a job, the ability to interview when necessary would be severely hampered. Especially since a job like that won’t have the benefits of personal time, vacation days, etc.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;439161]I didn’t mean a dream job of my choice, but I’m not going to take an unrelated **** job just to take it, when I do have that temporary crutch available. Maybe after 7 or 8 months, then I would.

Most white collar jobs only interview between office hours (9am to 5pm), so if I were to work in an office environment at a job just to have a job, the ability to interview when necessary would be severely hampered. Especially since a job like that won’t have the benefits of personal time, vacation days, etc.[/QUOTE]

Different mind sets then.

Also, I don’t think $400 a week in NC is that bad a salary, especially after taxes. It’s not fantastic, but trust me there are people making it with a lot less.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;439162]Different mind sets then.

Also, I don’t think $400 a week in NC is that bad a salary, especially after taxes. It’s not fantastic, but trust me there are people making it with a lot less.[/QUOTE]

The average unemployment check in NC is 270 dollars. I think thats a little less than the national average. I’ve seen some people collecting 400 dollars benefit checks, but they’re mostly laid off bank employees. And of course thats pre tax. If you opt of of paying taxes on your UIB, they’ll get you in April.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;439162]Different mind sets then.
[/QUOTE]

That’s what it boils down to. Imagine if there was no unemployment check coming in. I bet anyone unemployed wouldn’t “hold out” for a specific job then. Especially if a family is involved.

I could see 270 being a lot harder to get by on, but still doable.

[QUOTE=VA49er;439166]That’s what it boils down to. Imagine if there was no unemployment check coming in. I bet anyone unemployed wouldn’t “hold out” for a specific job then. Especially if a family is involved.[/QUOTE]

It is a system that we all pay into.

Also our economic system needs a certain % of unemployment in order to function properly.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;439132]People pay into unemployment, so when they lose their jobs they have every right to that money. I think there should be documented proof that you have applied / interviewed to try to become gainfully employed again, but this idea that well I can just walk around and get a job in 2 weeks is garbage.
[/QUOTE]

You have to document that you have applied for jobs. They only check every so often on you for that information, but if you don’t have it you’re going to have issues.

Being someone who was on unemployment for 6 weeks (with a wife and young child), it’s not fun. Sure I saved on daycare and with my unemployment checks I broke even, but it’s not relaxing. All you think about is when that money dries up how do I feed my kid. I don’t wish that on anyone. Also, if I’m watching my kid how do I interview for jobs? I don’t really have the money to pay for a sitter, nor do I have many if any family options in the area. In two months I had two interviews (three if you count the call back I got). One was where I work now, and the other was in Charlottesville. A drive I made in the snow last year.

So you guys can sit there and tell people to go get a job for $8.50 at Family Dollar, but you’re living in a fantasy land. Mostly, b/c barely anyone is hiring, and when they are they get 100+ applicants who are all overqualified for 5 positions. Nobody needs any help, not even part time. Hell if you can get that you’re lucky. If places need help you’re screwed if you have no retail/restauraunt experience, b/c the other 67 people who applied likely have it in some form or another.

Don’t tell Brentrob you doubt he’s REALLY looked for a job. The man moved 2.5 hours down into the SC low country b/c some cocks told him he had a job, and then backed out of it after he moved.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;439179]You have to document that you have applied for jobs. They only check every so often on you for that information, but if you don’t have it you’re going to have issues.

Being someone who was on unemployment for 6 weeks (with a wife and young child), it’s not fun. Sure I saved on daycare and with my unemployment checks I broke even, but it’s not relaxing. All you think about is when that money dries up how do I feed my kid. I don’t wish that on anyone. Also, if I’m watching my kid how do I interview for jobs? I don’t really have the money to pay for a sitter, nor do I have many if any family options in the area. In two months I had two interviews (three if you count the call back I got). One was where I work now, and the other was in Charlottesville. A drive I made in the snow last year.

So you guys can sit there and tell people to go get a job for $8.50 at Family Dollar, but you’re living in a fantasy land. Mostly, b/c barely anyone is hiring, and when they are they get 100+ applicants who are all overqualified for 5 positions. Nobody needs any help, not even part time. Hell if you can get that you’re lucky. If places need help you’re screwed if you have no retail/restauraunt experience, b/c the other 67 people who applied likely have it in some form or another.

Don’t tell Brentrob you doubt he’s REALLY looked for a job. The man moved 2.5 hours down into the SC low country b/c some cocks told him he had a job, and then backed out of it after he moved.[/QUOTE]

I disagree that hardly any retail places are hiring. Hell, my company has job fairs every month looking for people. They will start you at at least 35k a year and anyone that graduated from our university would be qualified. Plus you get great benefits. It’s not a crap job, but it’s not a job you would like. But if you’re not applying for those jobs as well, you’re not going to get them. I get that times are tough, but you have to make do in those situations. I was unemployed before I finished school. But I wasn’t a full time student, so I didn’t get loans. I put my last two classes to graduate on a credit card, moved into a **** apartment, and worked multiple jobs.

I lived off of ham and cheese sandwiches for, I dunno, 4 months? But I performed well at my job, even a ****ty retail job, got a raise, got a promotion and improved my quality of living. I turned that job into more promotions, better salary and then a better job at another company. But it sure as **** wasn’t easy. I feel for a guy who lost his job, any guy. But I also know that it is possible to find a job that isn’t digging ditches. If you show yourself capable at any job, they are going to notice and it will pay off.

I know a store that was looking for two assistant managers in this mall and I guarentee you that I could find someone a job in the Raleigh Durham area if they had the ability.

For the record, I don’t blame anyone for taking advantage of the system that is in place. I would do the same if I couldn’t find a job I am sure. I’m just opposed to the system as it is.

Also I think it depends on your State’s unemployment benefits.

If you can get the highest weekly payout, that is potentially more than some temporary job you take for the time being. If you are serious about your career it makes much more sense to utilize the unemployment benefits while you can and try to remain in your career.

Massachusetts is about $600 maximum per week.

New Jersey is $583 maximum per week.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;439185]Also I think it depends on your State’s unemployment benefits.

If you can get the highest weekly payout, that is potentially more than some temporary job you take for the time being. If you are serious about your career it makes much more sense to utilize the unemployment benefits while you can and try to remain in your career.

Massachusetts is about $600 maximum per week.

New Jersey is $583 maximum per week.[/QUOTE]

I understand, I just wonder where you draw the line.