NC Unemployment Year End date this week

[QUOTE=Powerbait;439183]I disagree that hardly any retail places are hiring. Hell, my company has job fairs every month looking for people. They will start you at at least 35k a year and anyone that graduated from our university would be qualified. Plus you get great benefits. It’s not a crap job, but it’s not a job you would like. But if you’re not applying for those jobs as well, you’re not going to get them. I get that times are tough, but you have to make do in those situations. I was unemployed before I finished school. But I wasn’t a full time student, so I didn’t get loans. I put my last two classes to graduate on a credit card, moved into a **** apartment, and worked multiple jobs.

I lived off of ham and cheese sandwiches for, I dunno, 4 months? But I performed well at my job, even a ****ty retail job, got a raise, got a promotion and improved my quality of living. I turned that job into more promotions, better salary and then a better job at another company. But it sure as **** wasn’t easy. I feel for a guy who lost his job, any guy. But I also know that it is possible to find a job that isn’t digging ditches. If you show yourself capable at any job, they are going to notice and it will pay off.

I know a store that was looking for two assistant managers in this mall and I guarentee you that I could find someone a job in the Raleigh Durham area if they had the ability.[/QUOTE]

You graduated when? '06? '07? I did in '07 and had no issues getting a job. It was easy, so I don’t know why it was so difficult for you. I understand different job areas, but there was hardly a recession if any when I got a job.

I didn’t say there weren’t any jobs, I said if you lack qualification at all in them you’re screwed b/c there are so many people going after a job. Companies can be highly and at times overly selective right now. With an architecture degree and never working retail. I’m not going to get that job, no matter how much they like me. Somone else will have retail experience, and/or a business degree.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;439191] With an architecture degree and never working retail. I’m not going to get that job, no matter how much they like me. Somone else will have retail experience, and/or a business degree.[/QUOTE]
Selling yourself pretty short there, do you see how much PB posts between 9-5?

I graduated in '05. You may say jobs were plentiful, but it wasn’t a cakewalk getting a job for me. And I had management experience. The only other job opportunity I had outside of retail was the Charlotte Observer and I had already given up on being a reporter. Not because I didn’t want to do it, but because I didn’t see it as a viable long term career path.

But the jobs I took to get to where I am right now (with a solid company, in a pretty decent job) were not fun nor easy. But I did it and those jobs are still available. I know they are, although the Able Body labor that I worked at isn’t open anymore.

My question still hasn’t been answered, how long is okay to be on unemployment?

[QUOTE=ninerID;439193]Selling yourself pretty short there, do you see how much PB posts between 9-5?[/QUOTE]

hahahah. It’s true. I have way too much free time at work.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;439195]I graduated in '05. You may say jobs were plentiful, but it wasn’t a cakewalk getting a job for me. And I had management experience. The only other job opportunity I had outside of retail was the Charlotte Observer and I had already given up on being a reporter. Not because I didn’t want to do it, but because I didn’t see it as a viable long term career path.

But the jobs I took to get to where I am right now (with a solid company, in a pretty decent job) were not fun nor easy. But I did it and those jobs are still available. I know they are, although the Able Body labor that I worked at isn’t open anymore.

My question still hasn’t been answered, how long is okay to be on unemployment?[/QUOTE]

I’m not debating how hard you worked at your job. You should be commended for working so hard. The issue is there aren’t even jobs to be had right now, and the competition is stiff.

ID, I never looked into that line of work, I worked to stay in my field and got lucky. That’s about it. I have applied for a few jobs as part time on the weekend, but I’ve never even heard anything back and these aren’t overly important jobs. More like a job working weekends at Lowe’s down the road from me for some extra cash.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;439195]

My question still hasn’t been answered, how long is okay to be on unemployment?[/QUOTE]

as long as it takes to find a job that pays equal to or higher then your unemployment benefits…or until it runs out. You have to work to be eligible for the extentions after a year. You must have made 4500 the last year you were drawing unemployment benefits.

I have always worked since day one, but at a certain point, for me anything over 10-15 hrs/wk, you actually start losing money that you could have. When you make over 75/wk then it takes away from your unemployment check. For me I can’t break even if I did work 40 hrs…so I don’t.

Right now I am working part-time for an architecture firm, which will eventually lead to full-time employment. When that will happen…who knows. I am hoping by January. But for your sake…while I am working there I won’t be able to draw unemployment because I am doubling what I would get from them each week.

The thing about unemployment is that yes it is a crutch. they give you enough to live. you cant really live it up with the amount they give you. the job market is so tough right now. I apply to jobs almost everyday. I just graduated in may and I cannot even land jobs I am overqualified for. I have worked throughout college so I at least have a job now, but cannot find full time employment. i couldnt make it on 1200 a month.

but i really dont even know how unemployment works, but in healthcare if you dont pay for insurance you will not be turned down for treatment.

In normal economic times I can see the current policy of 6 months. In rough economic times, like we are in now, I think it is reasonable to be extended for a year.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;439227]I’m not debating how hard you worked at your job. You should be commended for working so hard. The issue is there aren’t even jobs to be had right now, and the competition is stiff.

ID, I never looked into that line of work, I worked to stay in my field and got lucky. That’s about it. I have applied for a few jobs as part time on the weekend, but I’ve never even heard anything back and these aren’t overly important jobs. More like a job working weekends at Lowe’s down the road from me for some extra cash.[/QUOTE]

I understand that competition is stiff, but trust me, any one who gets a degree from Charlotte could get a decent job in retail. They would make you an assistant manager with no experience. I’ve seen it before. I’ve helped my friends get jobs.

[QUOTE=brentrob55;439228]as long as it takes to find a job that pays equal to or higher then your unemployment benefits…or until it runs out. You have to work to be eligible for the extentions after a year. You must have made 4500 the last year you were drawing unemployment benefits.

I have always worked since day one, but at a certain point, for me anything over 10-15 hrs/wk, you actually start losing money that you could have. When you make over 75/wk then it takes away from your unemployment check. For me I can’t break even if I did work 40 hrs…so I don’t.

Right now I am working part-time for an architecture firm, which will eventually lead to full-time employment. When that will happen…who knows. I am hoping by January. But for your sake…while I am working there I won’t be able to draw unemployment because I am doubling what I would get from them each week.[/QUOTE]

I am truly sorry you are out of work, and I am not trying to make this about you, more about generalities. I recognize that this isn’t easy for you, and I have been there. Other people on this board have and are there. I hope you get a good job and it is what you want. I hope that for everyone here.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;439256]In normal economic times I can see the current policy of 6 months. In rough economic times, like we are in now, I think it is reasonable to be extended for a year.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I was really just curious as to what you thought an acceptible term for unemployment is.