NCAA declares moratorium on teams moving to D-I

Saw this in a Mike DeCourcy piece:

The NCAA declared a moratorium on teams moving to Division I so it could study the standards D-1 teams are required to meet. There are 331 teams in the division now, and 23 teams already on the way up will be allowed to complete the move.
Link: [b][url=http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=253415]Sportingnews.com[/url][/b]

So that means we’re going to have 354 teams in Division I. Geez! :rolleyes:

Remember that for football, D-I consists of both FCS (old D-IAA) & FBS (old D-IA). So together they add up to the current 331 teams.

The article mostly talks about programs moving from one division to another or between sub-divisions, I wonder if the moratorium also applies to schools without a current football program?

Remember that for football, D-I consists of both FCS (old D-IAA) & FBS (old D-IA). So together they add up to the current 331 teams.

The article mostly talks about programs moving from one division to another or between sub-divisions, I wonder if the moratorium also applies to schools without a current football program?

We are what is called Division I-aaa, which is d1 programs, without football.

The moratorium is on moving to Division I, period. If you’re already there, you can add sports like football. But you cannot move up from D-II to D-I during the moratorium.

This is more geared toward basketball tournament revenue than anything else. There is no more space in D-I conferences and they don’t want these 23 schools moving up to start a trend that leads to more conferences starting up and taking auto bids.

There seems to be some confusion among sports writers on this topic. Some say its DII to DI, others saying its between DI-AA to DI-A.

[URL=http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=47&F=1029&T=822073&P=0&STO=MS_9960285#s=47&f=1029&t=822073]ECU Scout board[/URL]

Actually, it is both.

From NCAA.org:

[FONT=Verdana]The Division I Board of Directors has enacted a four-year moratorium on permitting institutions to begin the process of joining the division – an action that among other things [B]will prevent a school from moving from another division into Division I [COLOR=red]or moving between its subdivisions[/COLOR][/B] until August 2011.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]Although the division recently enacted new Football Bowl Subdivision criteria and established procedural steps to become a Division I member, standards for Division I institutional and conference membership were not reviewed.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]The moratorium, which is effective immediately, does not affect 20 institutions that already have entered the seven-year Division I provisional-membership process for new NCAA members or the five-year process to move from Division II -- including institutions that currently are officially exploring Division I membership.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]The moratorium also prevents institutions in Divisions II and III from seeking reclassification of a specific sport into Division I under multidivision-classification legislation, and prevents a new single-sport or multisport conference from achieving Division I membership until the moratorium ends.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]The moratorium was endorsed by the NCAA Executive Committee Membership Working Group, a panel including representation from all three NCAA divisions that is studying the Association’s current three-division structure and considering steps to accommodate the NCAA’s continuing membership growth and related issues.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]The panel suggested that a moratorium would give Division I an opportunity to re-evaluate criteria for achieving membership. The division’s current membership could consider during that period whether to revise standards for evaluating and granting membership to future provisional and/or reclassifying institutions – a step that could change Division I’s rate of growth.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]The moratorium has Association-wide implications, because many of the institutions that recently have applied for Division I membership are reclassifying from Division II. The four-year length of the moratorium also fits a timeline established by the Executive Committee working group to propose and enact ways of managing an influx of new NCAA member institutions in Divisions II and III -- including possibly creating a fourth NCAA division or by subdividing Division III.[/FONT]

So, this would prevent Charlotte from reclassifying to I-A (FBS) or I-AA (FCS) for this four-year period. This will have an effect on the football decision - you can’t really say “yes, we’ll do it in four years when this moratorium is up”, when you don’t really know what the outcome of the moratorium will be.

They will not extend this moratorium past 2011 and we will field the team in 2012. Its not a problem. If they did extend it there would be hell to pay.

They will not extend this moratorium past 2011 and we will field the team in 2012. its not a problem. If they did extend it there would be hell to pay.

[QUOTE=Brick Tamland, Weather]The Division I Board of Directors has enacted a four-year moratorium on permitting institutions to begin the process of joining the division – an action that among other things will prevent a school from moving from another division into Division I or moving between its subdivisions until August 2011.[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure the NCAA cannot tell a member institution that it can’t field a team in a sport if it wants to and complies with the rules. This means that schools like us, St. Louis, Marquette, and any other DI-AAA can move to DI-AA but not DI-A. Lets not lose our heads, this does not effect us according to our timelime for starting a team.

Just fired off an email to Darin Spease. Hopefully we will have some clarification by Monday night.

i think we’re fine, these things happen in all kinds of aspects of life. If anything we’re starting this at the best time, well best time for not having one yet… 2012 football, 2017 D1A (5 years).

oh gosh i just realized I will be almost 30 when we have football. I guess that means i’ll be making more ~ able to donate more.

[QUOTE=The Cats;252935]Remember that for football, D-I consists of both FCS (old D-IAA) & FBS (old D-IA). So together they add up to the current 331 teams.
[/QUOTE]

There are only 241 Division I programs as of last year. Not sure who is moving up this year, but the 331 is way too high. The name change was the dumbest and most confusing thing the NCAA has done in a long time. Before, you could just say I-AA, or D1, to separately and clearly identify the two. Now, we have to listen to the announcers say Bowl Divsion and Championship Division. Now that I think about it, it makes the division with the true National Champion each year sound like the better division. Way to go NCAA!!!:rolleyes:

[URL=http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt06.htm][B][U][COLOR=Blue]USA Today.com: 2006 NCAA Football Sagarin Ratings[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

There are currently 331 Division I programs. This just happens to be the budget list, but it includes them all. There are 23 in the process of exploratory year or reclassification (further along than exploratory) who are grandfathered in to this moratorium. If all of them go and make it, that would be 354.

[URL=http://www.midmajority.com/info.php?a=schools-budget]http://www.midmajority.com/info.php?a=schools-budget[/URL]

That 241 number is only football sponsorship. This applies across the board to all sports.

Moratorium related news.

[URL=http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1186821285324080.xml&coll=2]Jacksonville State[/URL]

[URL=http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2007/08/10/ncaa]Inside Higher Ed[/URL]

[QUOTE=Brick Tamland, Weather;252969]
That 241 number is only football sponsorship.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. I think that’s what The Cats was referring to. I know this was a Division I thread, but in his post it looked as if he was saying that there were 331 Division I football schools. That’s not the case.

Even Jackson State sees a benefit in this action. They realize that this gives them time to focus and zero in on their target.

“This will give us time to get our stadium completed,” he said, referring to a plan to expand Paul Snow Stadium’s seating capacity and to build luxury boxes and a new press box. “I don’t look at this as a liability. It might even be an asset to us.”
[URL=http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1186821285324080.xml&coll=2]http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1186821285324080.xml&coll=2[/URL]

I don’t see a problem. We have time to put everything together and meet whatever expectations the NCAA wants. If you really believe that we can compete in football with the big boys, then you have to believe that this is just a pothole in the road.

I heard back from Mr. Spease. He said that it was a last minute decision to add it as a topic to the NCAA meetings. That we had people looking into its effects on us. That it was his understanding that it was directed primarily at DII teams moving up and that he would let me know when they get more info.

Interestingly, he also said that the proposed 2012 start date was not set and that we could start a program before or after 2012.

Interestingly, he also said that the proposed 2012 start date was not set and that we could start a program before or after 2012.

I think everythings at the proposal level now. We only do this once. It’s important to be flexible and do this right. Otherwise, it would be like the “old” “new” charlotte coliseum, and set us back many years. If it takes a month or six longer to do it right. Great, as long as we don’t lose focus on getting it done. Hell, maybe we might end up even doing this thing earlier. We just need to put everything together so firmly that the higher decision makers can’t refuse the argument for football.

Honestly the wording of the email seemed to indicate to me he was leaning toward the “before” on that one, just an impression I got.

When I posted this thread about the number of Division I hoops programs, I had no idea it would morph into a football thread. Hmmm… :tongue:

Here’s the email

[COLOR=DarkGreen][B][I]

We are looking into that very issue. The NCAA Board of Directors added this piece of legislation late in the process without comment from the membership. Our compliance director, Chris Thomasson, is getting feedback on the ramifications to us. My initial blush is that it was directed at Division II members that are trying to move up to Division I. There is a committee looking into Division I “standards”, and my guess is many of these schools trying to move up might be trying to get ahead of the new standards, and thus be grandfathered in when and if standards get beefed up.

The one clarification that I would make to your email is that there is nothing sacred about the 2012 date (nor is football at this point, pending committee, Chancellor and BOT decisions). That date was actually part of a “ramp up” schedule that I had presented to the group from a fees perspective. It is entirely possible, that IF football is added, it could be done earlier or later than that date.

I will keep you in the loop as to what this legislation means when we get a definitive interpretation.

GO NINERS

Darin Spease (89, BS Business)[/I][/B][/COLOR]