NCAA issues L1 Practice Penalty to MBB for low APR...

Can only practice 16 hours a week instead of 20 now…

Awesome

Could someone clarify how the APR works exactly?

Not like we were going to get better at FTs during practice anyway.

Lutz explained this to me years ago. He said that if you have a player transfer or leave early to the nba that it significantly counts against the team. We all know there has been quite a few players transfer and exactly 0 leave early for the nba. Just another dumb rule by the ncaa

Another feather in the cap for Alan Major. Really feel good about the leadership of the Mens basketball program. :o

[quote=“mtanner, post:4, topic:28816”]Lutz explained this to me years ago. He said that if you have a player transfer or leave early to the nba that it significantly counts against the team. We all know there has been quite a few players transfer and exactly 0 leave early for the nba. Just another dumb rule by the ncaa[/quote]Leaving early for NBA doesn’t impact, please see Kentucky.

I think it has to do with their academic standing when they leave - at least I think that is was Calipari said on Mike and Mike. With that said we know Cal will do whatever it takes to keep his team eligible so Kentucky isn’t the best example of keeping things on the straight and narrow.

It’s not like it matters, imagine your freshman year classes for a basketball player. The Carolina Way…

I thought this program was being run the"right way"?

Per Associate Head Coach Ryan Odom, MBB just had 2nd highest spring GPA in program history

[quote=“s9er, post:5, topic:28816”]Another feather in the cap for Alan Major. Really feel good about the leadership of the Mens basketball program. :o[/quote] All of the problem was with his first team. You know whose players those were, I guess.
A 20% reduction in practice time will hurt.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:11, topic:28816”][quote=“s9er, post:5, topic:28816”]Another feather in the cap for Alan Major. Really feel good about the leadership of the Mens basketball program. :o[/quote] All of the problem was with his first team. You know whose players those were, I guess.
A 20% reduction in practice time will hurt.[/quote]

clt says it may help.

What was the point of sending an email out about this… I swear sometimes we are our own worst enemy…

[quote=“cltniners, post:12, topic:28816”][quote=“4ever niner, post:11, topic:28816”][quote=“s9er, post:5, topic:28816”]Another feather in the cap for Alan Major. Really feel good about the leadership of the Mens basketball program. :o[/quote] All of the problem was with his first team. You know whose players those were, I guess.

clt says it may help.[/quote]

I think this might be true. We have ended the past 2 seasons pretty poorly. Perhaps the team was more worn out from harder practices than their opponents. Teams usually have less physically demanding practices later in the season and I’ve always thought that might not be the case with this staff. Guess we shall see.

#StealthAD

#StealthAD[/quote]

I wish they were stealth about this, I just don’t see what the point is… if nobody knew we had this hit would it really change anything, instead we get an email saying we are losing practice time because we couldn’t retain players. I guess I’m in the minority on this view.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:11, topic:28816”][quote=“s9er, post:5, topic:28816”]Another feather in the cap for Alan Major. Really feel good about the leadership of the Mens basketball program. :o[/quote] All of the problem was with his first team. You know whose players those were, I guess.

Major has had plenty of his own guys transfer out, return home, be dismissed. Let’s not put the blame entirely on the previous staff who to my knowledge never had any rpi issues.

#StealthAD[/quote]

I wish they were stealth about this, I just don’t see what the point is… if nobody knew we had this hit would it really change anything, instead we get an email saying we are losing practice time because we couldn’t retain players. I guess I’m in the minority on this view.[/quote]

I don’t think you can hide an NCAA penalty. Better to be forthcoming and take ownership.

I have a hard time understanding the formula when you see UK and other schools losing 4-5 players per year that you would think are not going to class once they decide for the NBA.

This is why the NCAA shouldn’t allow the transfer ruling to have an effect. Our numbers were sufficient three of the four years but the year with three transfers killed us.

So App is ineligible for postseason play next season. That’s such a HUGE penalty for them. :stuck_out_tongue: