NCAA issues L1 Practice Penalty to MBB for low APR...

i couldnt agree more. we had flaws but i still feel that last year we had an ncaa tournament level roster. quality bigs, decent three point shooters, very good point guard. no excuses this season.

are we looking at any of the fifth-year transfers to fill ingram’s scholarship?

exactly. i dont think its a question of lack of depth or wearing down.[/quote] So lack of depth is not related to inability to make adjustments? I don’t know about anyone else, but if I need a certain tool and it isn’t in my tool box I have a hell of a time
adjusting to the situation. I don’t know if Major is a smart enough coach to make adjustments ( most college coaches aren’t) , but he’ll have more of a chance to do it this coming season.
Adjusting schemes is not quite so easy as you might think and is NOT like flipping on a light switch. Try telling a 20 year old player to play a certain way for a half a season and then tell him
to adjust to some new scheme and you may not get the result you hoped for. Habits are sometimes harder to break than to form.

BTW, less practice time is less time to go over new ways of doing things

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:62, topic:28816”]are we looking at any of the fifth-year transfers to fill ingram’s scholarship?[/quote]Outside of TL I haven’t saw us listed with one that I can recall.

4everniner, every other team that beats us makes adjustments IN game, so I don’t think IN season is too much to ask for.

why cant we go snag that kid from campbell or any decent big that is eligible immediately? he doesnt have to be great, just give us depth.

why cant we go snag that kid from campbell or any decent big that is eligible immediately? he doesnt have to be great, just give us depth.[/quote]

I hope we shy away from a “big” in CUSA. It just doesn’t work. Our best lineup could possibly be Ogbueze, Lester, Henry, Williams, Thorne.

That is my thought process at least. CUSA looked to be a very athletic, fast conference. Big 10 wins in the Puerto Tournament, doesn’t/hard to win in CUSA with that play.

i dont agree with this for a couple of reasons. first, i think having size will serve you well if you get into the tournament, or at least to have the option to go big and secondly, there is a difference between adding a big, slow big and one who is athletic and can run the floor.

exactly. i dont think its a question of lack of depth or wearing down.[/quote] So lack of depth is not related to inability to make adjustments? I don’t know about anyone else, but if I need a certain tool and it isn’t in my tool box I have a hell of a time
adjusting to the situation. I don’t know if Major is a smart enough coach to make adjustments ( most college coaches aren’t) , but he’ll have more of a chance to do it this coming season.
Adjusting schemes is not quite so easy as you might think and is NOT like flipping on a light switch. Try telling a 20 year old player to play a certain way for a half a season and then tell him
to adjust to some new scheme and you may not get the result you hoped for. Habits are sometimes harder to break than to form.

BTW, less practice time is less time to go over new ways of doing things[/quote]

You want to be a D1 athlete or coach then you learn to change schemes. I’m not asking them for anything crazy, but you alter offensive sets. I’d hope Major does this, but there are times where our offense seems to beat their head against a wall trying to futilely impose their will. Defensively, how many times did we come back from 12 or so down because we switched to a zone, just to revert back to the same D that got us smoked in the next game? Or wait too long to finally switch to that zone? I want to play 55 man as much as the next guy, but if it’s not working, it’s not working. That’s been my biggest gripe with the coach. He doesn’t seem to adjust well, if at all, on both sides of the ball. He doesn’t adapt regardless of his tools. In life what happens when you don’t adapt? Darwinism. In this case? You get canned.

BTW, less practice time is less time to go over new ways of doing things[/quote]

You want to be a D1 athlete or coach then you learn to change schemes. I’m not asking them for anything crazy, but you alter offensive sets. I’d hope Major does this, but there are times where our offense seems to beat their head against a wall trying to futilely impose their will. Defensively, how many times did we come back from 12 or so down because we switched to a zone, just to revert back to the same D that got us smoked in the next game? Or wait too long to finally switch to that zone? I want to play 55 man as much as the next guy, but if it’s not working, it’s not working. That’s been my biggest gripe with the coach. He doesn’t seem to adjust well, if at all, on both sides of the ball. He doesn’t adapt regardless of his tools. In life what happens when you don’t adapt? Darwinism. In this case? You get canned.[/quote] Well, you know best.

:stuck_out_tongue:

The NCAA has been sold out to the big six conferences who can do no wrong. Everybody else is used to make examples of so they can appear to be doing their jobs. Just look at what they are doing in football to put in the fix to guarantee a big six championship. So much is wrong with America and the NCAA is a small part of those on the wrong side, and it resembles how big business and the wealthy have bought congress to help them steal from the rest of the country. The revolution wave will eventually wash all of this away because the vast majority of Americans are becoming fed up with it. Carl Marx was probably right on the money about how this will always have to occur when a small group of people have taken too much from the majority.

[quote=“greenman, post:72, topic:28816”]The NCAA has been sold out to the big six conferences who can do no wrong. Everybody else is used to make examples of so they can appear to be doing their jobs. Just look at what they are doing in football to put in the fix to guarantee a big six championship. So much is wrong with America and the NCAA is a small part of those on the wrong side, and it resembles how big business and the wealthy have bought congress to help them steal from the rest of the country. The revolution wave will eventually wash all of this away because the vast majority of Americans are becoming fed up with it. Carl Marx was probably right on the money about how this will always have to occur when a small group of people have taken too much from the majority.[/quote] Feel better, now? Life ain’t fair.

Personally, I think that programs who find themselves in our situation would be more properly punished by having some of their past wins vacated. I believe that in our particular case,we already have organized systems in place to insure that students spend time studying. I’m not so sure the four hours taken from practice is going to result in four additional hours of “homework time”, since our athletes already had available to them as much tutoring as they were willing to take advantage of.

Does anyone know if Major’s contract has stipulations for us falling into this category? It should.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:51, topic:28816”]We had little depth last season. Not rocket science to figure out why the team was spent toward the end. Next season should be a different story insofar as depth is concerned.
I think we could use the practice time we won’t get.[/quote]

If individuals use the extra couple of hours a week to improve free throw shooting we will be better off by losing the team practice time. A 10 %age point increase by 2 or three of our players could make a difference in the outcome of close games. Likewise with our 3 pt shooting.
By the way, are teams whose players who make good grades in faux classes given the same restrictions as those who make poor grades in real classes?

[quote=“gamer, post:75, topic:28816”]By the way, are teams whose players who make good grades in faux classes given the same restrictions as those who make poor grades in real classes?[/quote]This is an enduring mystery. How can the NCAA claim that fake classes are not a violation of the eligibility of those athletes, and when the athletic department did little to prevent it and probably even pushed it based on the testimony of some of the people involved, when other schools face penalties because their players had to take real classes? It’s bizarre reasoning that they declined to punish the athletic programs at the institution.

Well, it’s a mystery until you accept that the NCAA couldn’t care less about fairness and all their bs about the student-athlete ideal and their reasons for punishing other programs is entirely propaganda. Given how little the NCAA actually cares about student-athletes and fairness and their own written rules, and how much they obviously care about money over all else, is it time to question the non-profit status of the NCAA, just like we do of the NFL? I think so.