NCAA rules panel defines area under basket, etc.

Changes recommended by the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Basketball Rules Committee at its May 3-5 meeting in Phoenix include two rules pertaining to the men’s game.

On the men’s rules side, the committee made two significant alterations. After discussing adding a restricted area arc at length, the committee instead decided to define the area under the basket and prohibit a secondary defender from establishing guarding position in that area. In the rules proposal, a secondary defender must establish position outside the area from the front of the rim to the front of the backboard.

The committee also approved a proposal dealing with a free-throw shooter who is injured. In the proposal, if a student-athlete is fouled (without the foul being flagrant or intentional) and unable to attempt the free throws, the opposing coach will choose the player to attempt the free throws from the four remaining players on the court.

Link to entire posting: NCAA.org: Basketball rules panel defines restricted area under basket

I don’t like that the opposing coach gets to decide the free throw shooter. Seems like that provides an incentive to hurt someone at the end of a game so the coach can pick a player with poor free throw shooting.

[QUOTE=Niner National;406979]I don’t like that the opposing coach gets to decide the free throw shooter. Seems like that provides an incentive to hurt someone at the end of a game so the coach can pick a player with poor free throw shooting.[/QUOTE]

[B][U]The NCAA[/U][/B]

[B][I]“Let’s see what else we can f*** up!”[/I][/B]

Why don’t they just put the arc and be done with it. Defining something with a distinct visual is much better than a piece of area that can change depending upon a person’s view.

If they’re gonna have a defined area, it needs to be marked. The result of this rule will be numerous controversial calls.

Why don't they just put the arc and be done with it. Defining something with a distinct visual is much better than a piece of area that can change depending upon a person's view.

Because when the game is on the line in a big name school vs. “little name” school, this is one of those swing calls…

Because when the game is on the line in a big name school vs. "little name" school, this is one of those swing calls....

Kind of like when Harris was called for a charge against Xavier. Yeah that is how you f**k us!!

The funny thing is that the big school coaches, specifically Coach K, want the arc (he stated it in an interview that a friend who is a die hard Duke fan told me)!

[QUOTE=UNCCShannon;407066]Kind of like when Harris was called for a charge against Xavier. Yeah that is how you f**k us!!

The funny thing is that the big school coaches, specifically Coach K, want the arc (he stated it in an interview that a friend who is a die hard Duke fan told me)![/QUOTE]

Yeah, because Duke plays Chapel Hill at least twice a year. Then THEY are the small program.

F*** that arc!!! I don’t want to see people get undercut, but all that arc does is entice people to jump for the rim from outside the arc to try to draw a foul because of that stupid line. It makes guys afraid to play defense down low. I would rather the ref decide who had position than some stupid line determine a block or charge.

I know they’re trying to combat the fake injuries by letting the opposing coach choose the shooter, but that’s not the best way to do it. My proposal would be to let the last person that shot FT’s, among the players on the floor for the shooting team, shoot for the injured player, and the coach would still choose the sub. If there is no one on the floor at that time that had previously shot a FT, then it would revert back to the coach choosing someone from the bench just as it has always been.

Yeah, because Duke plays Chapel Hill at least twice a year. Then THEY are the small program.

Well they also had to worry about Flopsborough!

The arc can work if there are also rules in play to prevent from having the ball under it to draw a foul. The biggest and greatest benefit is to prevent fast break screw-overs (like what happen to Harris last year). If you are outside that arc and set up then more than likely you had the position! Inside the arc the chances of getting set up there are really slim. I personally am in favor of it!

[QUOTE=UNCCShannon;407072]Well they also had to worry about Flopsborough!

The arc can work if there are also rules in play to prevent from having the ball under it to draw a foul. The biggest and greatest benefit is to prevent fast break screw-overs (like what happen to Harris last year). If you are outside that arc and set up then more than likely you had the position! Inside the arc the chances of getting set up there are really slim. I personally am in favor of it![/QUOTE]

NOW! NOW! You know Coach K invented flopping and that [B][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]MOTHER[/COLOR][/B] is pure as drive [B][COLOR=mediumturquoise]power blue[/COLOR][/B] snow!

in my opinion, instead of having the opposing coach be able to pick who gets to shoot the FT, the rule should involve the officiating crew picking a player off the bench that is closest to the team’s FT%, so that neither side has an advantage over the other.

[QUOTE=ozmosis49er;407079]in my opinion, instead of having the opposing coach be able to pick who gets to shoot the FT, the rule should involve the officiating crew picking a player off the bench that is closest to the team’s FT%, so that neither side has an advantage over the other.[/QUOTE]

Addendum: I think you would let the refs choose from those players who had previously been in the game at some point, be they on the floor or on the bench. I like your idea, but what if it’s the sorry-ass walk-on who is great at the free throw line that has the nearest FT % to who is injured? Then it’s another penalty for the shooting team because he will have to remain in the game when he would not otherwise play at all.

I think both coaches should RockPaperScissors over it at midcourt (and up on the jumbotron for fans) best 2 out of 3, to determine who gets to decide the player to take the FTs.

I think both coaches should RockPaperScissors over it at midcourt (and up on the jumbotron for fans) best 2 out of 3, to determine who gets to decide the player to take the FTs.

a great testament to the annual RockPaperScissors tournament in Vegas can be found on:

I think the coach should shoot the free throws.

[QUOTE]
In administrative news, Bobby Lutz, men’s coach at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, was nominated to become chair of the men’s committee. Additionally, the committee reviewed its plans relating to the two-year cycle for rules changes, which go into effect with the upcoming rules book. The next rules book will cover both the 2009-10 and 2010-11 seasons.[/QUOTE]

http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op/storiesView/sid/35707/

Recommendations approved…

ESPN.com: Committee approves changes for fall

Lutz quoted in this piece from Seth Davis…

SI.com: NCAA to regulate ‘incessant flopping’ under basket

Not putting an actual circle under the basket is beyond stupid, and their excuse is they couldn’t decide the size of the circle? Yet the refs have to decide in a split second whether the “secondary” defender is in the circle or out. I smell a rat here. You all know that sometime this season, refs are going to miss this call and decide wrongly some important game. Wonder which team will get the honor of being screwed first?