NCAA Transfer Rules

Agree about Jamir…he’s just the closest thing to make a recent comparison as a player with 2 solid Fr & So seasons under their belt.

And I agree that HW and JL could have started most anywhere.

The disconnect is I don’t think a top program would have looked at them 2 yrs in at UNCC (at the time) and saw them as a player they would have promised starters min to as a transfer.

After their 4 yrs…their greatness was realized. But after 1 or 2 years in, they were solid undersized players. I just don’t think a UNC or a Duke comes after them at that point and offers them a chance to come in and step in front of a couple of 5 star freshmen.

But we’re debating an extreme hypotheical and I’m feeling a little silly taking it this far. Just don’t think top programs will come after our studs now for the same reasons. Thats all.

1 Like

I think you are right top programs won’t, but the mid level programs will.

It’s Charlotte 3 and P5-0 in the poaching column.

Edit- Women added Boykins from Duke. Charlotte 4 and P5-0 in poaching players.

I’m not following the other schools but I wonder if they are also upgrading their roster by plucking the mvp off of non-p5 teams and dropping their role players/bench in exchange. I would assume so.

As an example, the Heels have added a transfer from UVA and one from OU. Not meddling in the non-P5 currently.

Alumnus pointed out before the baseball season that while our staff had gotten better, so too had a lot of other staffs. The door has primarily swung one way this year, IMO, because of Covid and a lack of roster spots. These 5th year guys we got have been replaced by HS players the power programs wanted to keep their commitments to.

It’ll be an interesting season, I bet. More experienced teams like ours, but that haven’t played together for any numbers of years, versus a bunch of younger high potential guys who also haven’t played together.

This trend won’t stay though long term. Once we shed the extra players in the system, I think the G5 will start being raided like the JUCO ranks of old.

Additions:

Malik Osborne - Rice to FSU

Drew Peterson - Rice to USC

If Rice could have kept Murphy et al, probably would have dominated C-USA past couple of seasons.

And speaking of Murphy, just saw him listed as a first rounder in a 2021 NBA Mock Draft.

clt is glad we have coach heals

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1420925747733180416

In addition, Banton taken #46 by the Raptors, his hometown team.

With Bassey going to the Sixers - also in the second round - that’s two WKU recruits from the 2018 class headed to the pros. Add in Murphy and that’s three from the 2018 C-USA freshman class.

1 Like

Unintended consequences of free movement which should have been foreseen. The proposed increase in the class size limit will now lead to more players unhappy with playing time who will then transfer, thus leading to another increase in class size limit. Wash, rinse, repeat. What a mess has been created.

2 Likes

The transfer portal will kill college athletics in conjunction with NIL. It has now become a free for all.

1 Like

Jahmir would start for almost anybody, including over goldwire at Duke this past season.

2 Likes