New Article on Football

You guys arenā€™t going to like thisā€¦ I hate lack of faith and lack of resolve.

No kidding the students pay for footballā€¦ HELLO!!! ITā€™S NOT SOMETHING THEY DONā€™T WANT TO DO!!! Given the option, Ms. Schulken (an individual obviously who is completely out of touch with the desires of individuals who are at and support this university), needs to grow a pair.

Good grief, can some people from the freakinā€™ sports department go talk this woman at the O. She sees lack of facts as evidence for the negativeā€¦ who in the world thinks like that? We need to write this individualā€¦

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/16432583.htm

49er football: Stop the clock and buy time

Who pays for football to make money? The students do, of course

MARY C. SCHULKEN

Itā€™s the first quarter, and the Charlotte 49ers are deep in their own territory. On second down, the ball is snapped. The quarterback turns, fakes, then looks downfield. The linebackers rush.

If youā€™re Chancellor Phil Dubois, what do you do?

Do you throw, deep and long, aiming for a distant goal line?

Do you fall on the ball to keep from losing yardage?

Or do you discreetly toss the ball out of bounds, stop the clock and buy time?

At UNC Charlotte, the question is not how to play football. Itā€™s whether to play football.
Specifically, do you claw millions of dollars each year from students and boosters to start a football program from scratch? Or do you turn the universityā€™s growing ā€“ but finite ā€“ resources toward its quickly expanding academic mission and enrollment?

ā€œFā€ for foolish?
Dubois labeled it the ā€œFā€ question when he put football on the agenda for the trustees to discuss last week. Itā€™s a pivotal one for the stateā€™s fourth-largest university, a campus in search of a strong identity among its peers in the state and nation.A high-profile (note those words, please) football program brings a host of benefits to a university, including good feelings, happy alumni and free publicity. Yet winning college programs consume huge amounts of money and campus support. When youā€™re UNCC ā€“ a young public university forecast to add 12,000 more students in a little over a decade ā€“ kicking off football right now could be a foolā€™s mission.

Why the fuss over football?
Sports economists and college presidents call it the ā€œFlutie Effectā€: the jump in admission applications sparked by a spectacular gridiron moment. It got that name when Boston College was inundated after Doug Flutieā€™s improbable pass securing the Eaglesā€™ final-second come-from-behind victory over Miami in 1984.

That kind of defining moment can draw national attention to a university ā€“ and bring home spoils. Athletic conferences that sent teams to post-season bowls this year will share an astounding $187 million.
Yet it takes an astounding amount of money to build a football team.

The San Antonio Express-News reported it would cost between $12 million and $25 million to start a football program at the University of Texas at San Antonio. A Division I-AA team would cost $3 million a year to operate, the campus estimated, while a Division I-A team would cost between $5 million and $7 million.

Bust the myths
Hereā€™s the nasty little secret of college football: At UNCC ā€“ like UTSA ā€“ much of the millions to support it would come from a mandatory student athletic fee.

Before the ā€œFā€ question goes any further, UNCC needs to take a hard look at popular myths versus the reality of college football.

Myth: Football is a money-making sport that supports other sports on campus.

Reality No. 1: According to the NCAA, nearly all the top 25 football schools reported a surplus for football during 2004-2005. Yet the required method of reporting means millions of dollars in student fees or university support often show up as revenue. Also, athletic budgets often do not include big football costs such as stadium construction and debt service.

Reality No. 2: Successful football programs can be revenue-generators by bringing in dollars from television contracts and bowl appearances. But that doesnā€™t mean they make money. A 2003 NCAA study determined that for every dollar spent on college football or basketball, only one dollar is generated in additional revenues.

Myth: Football success helps a university get the attention of students (and boosters) that otherwise might apply (or donate) somewhere else.

Reality: Quantity doesnā€™t mean quality, and nobody keeps track of how many applicants sign on at colleges. Also, last year the NCAA released a study that found no evidence showing that increased athletic spending generates additional profit.

None of that means 49er football should be sent permanently to the lockers. The problem is timing. UNCC is an expanding doctoral institution that needs to work on academics first.
Note to Dubois, pondering his options as linebackers rush: Toss the ball out of bounds, stop the clock and buy time.

Mary C.
Schulken
Mary C. Schulken is an Observer associate editor. Write her at P.O. Box 30308, Charlotte, NC 28230-0308, or [U][COLOR=#0000ff]mschulken@charlotteobserver.com[/COLOR][/U].

Wow, I have a new person to hate! :ticked: Talk about being pessemistic and not giving the reader a chance to form an opinionā€¦ What section was this in? I hope Editorialsā€¦

Mr. Tarwater has a word that I would like to use hereā€¦ [B][COLOR=SeaGreen]Myopic[/COLOR][/B].

clt declares war on this infidel. go get her boys.

millions to support it would come from a mandatory student athletic fee
Obviously she ain't too good at math or she's just not presenting the entire big picture...

$1,000,000/30,000 students = $33/student

if its the first quarter and i am deep in my own territory I am running the ball to pick up a few yards, not throwing.

I still have 3rd down, and I am trying to get some room for my punter just incase. Its the first quarter, I donā€™t want to give up good field position.

clt declares war on this infidel. go get her boys.

itā€™s times like this that I miss having a +digg button on posts.

Exactly ID, that just shows sheā€™s not a sports fan, so obviously she canā€™t understand justification of such a program. Why not write about one of these topics Ms. Schulken:
[LIST]
[]Light Rail
[
]Bobcatsā€™ Arena
[*]Roads in Charlotte
[/LIST]
[B][I][COLOR=SeaGreen]No one has decided we are doing football and unless you even donate money to UNC Charlotte, we donā€™t care about your opinion. I know several brick walls that would rather not listen to your ignorant banter.[/COLOR][/I][/B]

I should be able to respond and have it published in the Oā€¦ Who do i talk to? Mike? Mike? I need a little assistance hereā€¦

Using this personā€™s logic why should universities even have sports programs at all? If now isnā€™t the right time then when is the right time? I guarantee you in 10 years, 20 years, and 35 years from now you could say the timing isnā€™t right.

Exactly ID, that just shows she's not a sports fan, so obviously she can't understand justification of such a program. Why not write about one of these topics Ms. Schulken: [LIST] [*]Light Rail [*]Bobcats' Arena [*]Roads in Charlotte[/LIST][B][I][COLOR=seagreen]No one has decided we are doing football and unless you even donate money to UNC Charlotte, we don't care about your opinion. I know several brick walls that would rather not listen to your ignorant banter.[/COLOR][/I][/B]

EXCELLENT points.

The CITY does NOT pay for football at UNC Charlotteā€¦ not through taxes or anything. So, why doesnā€™t she focus on something that actually concerns that.

If she feels like this at all about football, she needs to have written 1,000 articles about light rail for every one of these.

She is nothing more than a publicity hound, riding a wave right now. This is her big chance to make her mark. ā€œThere is no bad publicity.ā€

Who asked for her lame ass opinion anyways:49ers:

[QUOTE=JaMiNNiNeR;210122]I guarantee you in 10 year, 20 years, and 35 years you could say the timing isnā€™t right.[/QUOTE]
And the costs will be 10x, 20x and 35x more. I just want an honest thorough study done and we can go from there, with or without. I think the pros will outnumber the cons easily, itā€™s then a problem to overcome the obstacles.

Also, Ms. Schulken, ACADEMICS AND ATHLETICS (football specifically) ARE [B][SIZE=6]NOT[/SIZE][/B] MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE:

Harvard
Stanford
Yale
U. of Michigan
Florida
UCLA
Duke
Rice
Vanderbilt
Notre Dame
Virginia
Penn State
etcā€¦

Why do these schools choose to do it, Ms. Schulken?
:hammer:

The woman behind the story.

[URL=http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bestofcox.com/2000/images/schulken.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bestofcox.com/2000/overall/writer.html&h=111&w=86&sz=9&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=Y-wyofSK7CZKwM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=67&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMary%2BC.%2Bschulken%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN][U][COLOR=seagreen][B]While at the Greenville Daily Reflector[/B][/U][/COLOR][/URL]

[URL=http://www.findarticles.com/p/search?tb=art&qt=%22MARY+C.+SCHULKEN%22][U][B][COLOR=SeaGreen]She is really into college athletics vs academics[/COLOR][/B][/U][/URL]

[URL=http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_km4476/is_200605/ai_n16400330][B][U][COLOR=SeaGreen]She getā€™s paid to write this crap?[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

[URL=http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_km4476/is_200611/ai_n17048030][B][U][COLOR=SeaGreen]She really has a problem with Athletics in College[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

[I]ā€¦looking for more articles, will edit this postā€¦[/I]

Why doesnā€™t she do an article on the high crime around the university and the lack of attention it receives.

Scbools like Duke, Notre Dame, Penn State, and UCLA are who they are because of athletics firstā€¦ academics second. And by who they are, I mean, having a high profile like they have, and the support that they enjoy.

She went to ECU. Without football, nobody would care about that school outside of Greenvilles 50 mile radius. However, they have football and a med school, they are also part of the same school system as us, and in 10 years we will be bigger than they are.

And the costs will be 10x, 20x and 35x more.

While you may be exaggerating a bit, I work in the field and can tell you. The price of copper and concrete wonā€™t be coming down any time soon. Even 2 years can drastically change the price of building a new facility.

Yeah honestlyā€¦ there are a million things more important she could write aboutā€¦ crimeā€¦ infrastructure in UCā€¦ orā€¦ if she wants to talk about wastes of money, as was previously saidā€¦ Bobcats arena, lightrail.

WHAT A BITCH.

Write her at P.O. Box 30308, Charlotte, NC 28230-0308, or [U][COLOR=#0000ff][I]mschulken@charlotteobserver.com[/I][/COLOR][/U].

Myth: Ms. Schulken has ever been to a college athletic event.