New Article on Football

HOW THE HELL IS THAT UNDER NEWS? ITS EDITORIAL CRAP AT BEST.

[B]Myth:[/B] UNCC is an expanding doctoral institution (this part is true) that needs to work on academics first (but not this).

[B]FACT![/B] Athletics and Academics are NOT mutually exclusive! I’m so tired of seeing this tired fallacy used in every single argument against football. What evidence whatsover suggests that funding athletics compromises academics? When Virginia Tech made its rise in football, did they raid their endowment? NO! Did they siphon state funding? NO! Is Judy Rose a would-be Dean of Engineering who has be re-assigned to be an AD? NO! (be nice on that one)

I cant respond at work, but I would like to send her a link to this thread.

email sent.

Thanks Max! I’m sure she is so [B]MYOPIC[/B] though that she wouldn’t be able to open up and actually consider what other think.

[I][B]Special thanks to Mr. Tarwater for teaching me my new favorite word.[/B][/I]

Why would you send her a link to this thread? Everyone is acting like a child, calling names but providing no facts. That’s not the way to combat people who don’t agree with you.

Calling her a bitch, saying it’s editorial at best, lame ass, etc. … tha’ts not the way to go about this.

She presents some solid facts. Her myths and realities are right on, now its our (your) job to point out to her other positives that outweigh her realities and make football a positive for Charlotte.

She is not the first, nor will she be the last to say that this is not a good idea, so get your arguments straight and get prepared.

The woman behind the story.

Mary attended ECU. And previously wrote editorials for the Greenville Daily Reflector. Below I have put links to articles and lists of articles she has previously written. Athletics vs Academics is not new to her scope.

[URL=http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bestofcox.com/2000/images/schulken.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bestofcox.com/2000/overall/writer.html&h=111&w=86&sz=9&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=Y-wyofSK7CZKwM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=67&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMary%2BC.%2Bschulken%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN][U][COLOR=seagreen][B]While at the Greenville Daily Reflector[/B][/U][/COLOR][/URL]

[URL=http://www.findarticles.com/p/search?tb=art&qt=%22MARY+C.+SCHULKEN%22][U][B][COLOR=SeaGreen]List of recent articles[/COLOR][/B][/U][/URL]

[URL=http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_km4476/is_200605/ai_n16400330][B][U][COLOR=SeaGreen]A note to Dr. Goreman.[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

[URL=http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_km4476/is_200611/ai_n17048030][B][U][COLOR=SeaGreen]Speculation about happenings of UNC board of governors meeting[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

Welp, here it is

[QUOTE]Myth: You are a well informed writer and concerned about UNC Charlotte any University City.

Fact: You have no idea what you are talking about, and the students, alumni, and fans overwhelmingly support football, and are ready to foot the bill.

Myth: Anyone cares about your opinion.

Fact: There is no constituency for anti-football. That is because there has been a real need for that type of support for the university, and we are finally getting it. Your article appeals to NO ONE. There is no strong group reading your article and thinking “you go girl.” Your arguments are poorly founded, and you speak from a detached standpoint with little interest in what the students actually want, and only that you don’t think they should foot the bill.

In case you hadn’t noticed, 97% of students want to vote for football. If you really want to appear intelligent, and interesting, why not write about the incredibly high crime rates in the University City? I see, you only care about babbling on about wasted money. Where is your article on the Bobcats arena? This is not a UNC Charlotte initiative where the students voted NO and the administration proceeded and charged them anyway, which would be parallel to Bobcats Arena.

The fact of the matter is, you picked the wrong battle. There are thousands of people who are dreadfully passionate about this, and have been working incredibly hard to get good press and get the movement going, and you think you can come in, parade this article around as “news” and quell the movement with the swipe of a keystroke.

It is irresponsible of you to write and article like this considering you are obviously out of touch with UNC Charlotte, and DEFINATELY out of touch with the needs of the students. Moreover it is irresponsible of the Observer to publish this under news and not “Way OFF Editorial.”

I will leave you with this; Tax dollars are not paying for football at UNC Charlotte. The students are. The students are the reason the school is there. The students make UNC Charlotte who she is. The students want football, and your opinion is about as valid as an East Carolina graduate… oh… wait… Yes… That’s what I thought.

Marc S. Asbill
UNC Charlotte '06
Charlotte School of Law[/QUOTE]

This was an editorial, and the editorial staff, including Mary, are separate from the newsroom.

That said, reasonable people can disagree. I disagreed with her when she wrote about the money paid to Butch Davis to become football coach at North Carolina because I think it was a good investment. But I can see how she, and others, would disagree.

I also disagree that the arena was a bad investment for Charlotte (although I think it would have been a better investment at $168 million when Shinn went before city council way back before the Tega Cay incident), but that doesn't make the poster who said that an idiot, just someone else who disagrees with my opinion on that topic and has their reasons to do so.

She's keeping the discussion alive, for better or worse. And in that, there is benefit.
She presents some solid facts. Her myths and realities are right on, now its our (your) job to point out to her other positives that outweigh her realities and make football a positive for Charlotte.

Where she fails is checking whether those myths apply to UNC Charlotte, and that’s what makes it an editorial at best. I think the lack of an SGA mention re: the upcoming vote is a major omission. Read the threads that permeate this board. Would you say we, who tend to have green-tinted glasses, are looking at football myopically?

And the Athletics vc. Academics argument is infuriating. That’s such a weak logically fallacy to stir the emotions of ‘educators’

So Mike, your basically telling us she’s against sports. Figured, she probably got picked on in highschool too

This was an editorial, and the editorial staff, including Mary, are separate from the newsroom.

You already answered my question. Why does the online version have the story under a NEWS heading instead of OPINION? It’s clearly an editorial - not an informative news story.

Where she fails is checking whether those myths apply to UNC Charlotte, and that's what makes it an editorial at best. I think the lack of an SGA mention re: the upcoming vote is a major omission. Read the threads that permeate this board. Would you say we, who tend to have green-tinted glasses, are looking at football myopically?

And the Athletics vc. Academics argument is infuriating. That’s such a weak logically fallacy to stir the emotions of ‘educators’

SGA still has to meet to discuss the date on the football issue.

HOW THE HELL IS THAT UNDER NEWS? ITS EDITORIAL CRAP AT BEST.

Heh. I’m not the only one, huh?

[B]Mike[/B] I like your optimism.

[B]Brick[/B], I agree this thread shouldn’t have been sent to her. This is a rant. A place for us to blow off steam.

[B]Central[/B], you made good points in your email as well.

Why should we send her the link to here? I personally would like to engage in a healthy debate with her.

I sent her an email:

Mary,
I’ll try to be as courteous as possible on your opposition to UNCC football as I can. First I would ask you, are you an alum? If not, then you your opinion is moot. We as alum need a place to gather and see old friends 5 times a year. UNCC also needs to keep its kids on campus in the fall and quit being a suitcase school. The alum pushing for this move are not for big time D1 football, we want a team similar to App St. playing 1AA. Football completes a school. It gives students and alum a gathering place and emotional tie to the universtity, something UNCC alum graduate w/o having. That is far more important than getting to 35,000 students or adding any more doctoral programs. I urge you to read the link below, it sums up well exactly how thousands of us feel.
http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/print.cfm?story=116194&ran=125713

thanks,
Tim Collie
class of 95’

Why should we send her the link to here? I personally would like to engage in a healthy debate with her.

I don’t think anyone here disagrees with you. The problem is, this thread isn’t really a healthy debate. It’s a whole lot of steam being let off, with a side order of ranting. She spent a good bit of time thinking about writing her article, we should spend a good bit of time thinking about our responses. we can’t just yell ‘Charge!’ and tell her she is wrong.

Nice email Metro. Well put.

Nice email Metro. Well put.

agreed