New Chancellor

Agreed, we were forced into #FJR. That was in no way the best option.

1 Like

Impressive resume from her education through work experience. Looks like a good hire!

1 Like

And she spent time in the SEC. I am sure clt will connect the dots.

2 Likes

She hits a lot of high notes that are important to us in this interview from December. Being U of T, being part of the city, medical school and the importance of research grants to the University.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/education/sharon-gaber-named-university-north-carolina-charlotte-uncc-chancellor/275-28fec81a-05c7-4ff8-88a4-a0caec42b10b

4 Likes

Gaber was approached last fall about being Chancellor at Ole Miss, and declined to interview. Waiting for a better opportunity I guess.

4 Likes

2 Likes
3 Likes

Toledo media piece includes her letter of resignation. And, of course, thereā€™s the ā€œobligatoryā€ hyphen in the story.

https://www.wtol.com/article/news/local/university-of-toledo-president-leaving/512-dae05970-214f-4fb9-861a-52d35fc90e04

According to this, Dr. Gaberā€™s contract with UToledo requires a 6 month written notice, which is being negotiated so as to allow her to begin her new job on July 1st.

Also see that she is the MAC representative on the Division I Presidential Forum of the NCAA.

LOL, there is so much name confusion in that article, including this gem:

As chancellor, Ms. Gaber will oversee UNC Charlotteā€™s regional campus of the UNC School of Medicine and join a community whose members are pushing for a new free-standing four-year medical school. Her soon-to-be predecessor, Philip Dubois, recently wrote an op-ed saying there are ā€œoverwhelming financial, political and practical obstacles to establishing a four-year medical school in Charlotte.ā€ But other health and education professionals have said Charlotte needs an independent medical school of its own and are pursuing a second state-of-the-art campus.

1 Like

Iā€™m excited to be moving on into a new chapter for this University.

As far as I know, she has no prior experience at this University, so this will be a much needed ā€œfresh set of eyesā€ here.

Everything looks good on paper and she even has a presence on social media. Imagine that!!

3 Likes

I think in any welcoming message, we should include the hashtags #DropTheUNC #Charlotte #SimplyCharlotte. A simple way to start the campaign and increase exposure to ā€˜the causeā€™.

Not saying we donā€™t need a name change, however I think I know human nature and coming at her from the get-go (ā€œwelcomeā€) with what she may perceive as a very low priority in the midst of REAL ass kicking challenges our school faces, may put her on the defensive and alienate her to the cause. Then we may never get her back on board if our cause comes across to her as adversarial. We need to let her settle in, get to know her and vice versa, and promote our cause from a more organic and ā€œweā€™re on the same teamā€ approach. Just my two cents. But, really, donā€™t fuck this up.

5 Likes

I like Job and Agent 49s idea of a calculated message. We all need to step back and form one.

1 Like

Iā€™m with you.

This fight will be very different than football or FJR. The push back on this will be very different than those two as well.

TO me one of the biggest questions is exactly WHAT we want. Yes we all want to go by just Charlotte and I think the majority want University of Charlotte, but do we want that to be a marketing change where we are marketed as UofC and called that but everything else is officially UNC Charlotte, do we want to go to a DBA model where we are UofC in all things save the most formal instances or do we want to go full on name change at all levels? Each hurdle will require a different approval gate and a different audience.

Option 1 can be done entirely in house with our BoT and Chancellor - if they so desire. I am guessing option 2 would require at least a BoG weigh in on the matter and option 3 is absolutely a full BoG approval and possibly legislature approval.

I am of the opinion when the time is right in the near future we push for option 1, once we get everyone calling us Charlotte option 2 and 3 are easy steps to make down the road.

Either way we need to give new leader a chance to settle in for a bit, not come off as idiots or loose cannons and understand she has some major issues to figure out before this becomes a viable issue for her.

6 Likes

I think Option 1 alone is a major success because it gets the community and general public to recognize the school as an individual unit separate from CH. If you can get the general public to understand that we are a unique entity, then that goes a long way towards generating support towards the more formal measures.

I think Option 1 is great as a two-fold: brand identity and vernacular identity. One focuses on our own marketing, and the other focuses on our inherent identity to the larger masses.

Options 2 & 3 will then have a critical mass to push towards more formal changes.

Itā€™s a difficult time to be pushing for a branding change because of the financial costs. People are going to ask if we really need to spend that money right now when revenues are down at all levels.

2 Likes

Well thatā€™s the issue isnā€™t it, that we want the chancellor to be on the same page as those who she represents. If someone thinks a name change is the #1 pressing issue I have no issue with them letting the chancellor know. Using #Charlotte or #SimplyCharlotte is not abrasive at all.

1 Like

I agree Option 1 would be the ā€œeasiestā€. But in many ways thatā€™s similar to what athletics did and we still have issues with that.