New Chancellor

Until we change our domain name from uncc.edu to something else, nothing has changed.

Option 3 does require the General Assembly.

For sure, staff and student emails cannot say UNCC.

Agree. If it is going to be an everything-but-formal title switch, then we need to fully embrace that (see Virginia Tech, using VT instead of VPISU). That could work. Anything short of that is likely to be a failure.

clt says we follow the v tech model. It is perfect.

At minimum we should follow the University at Buffalo model. www.charlotte.edu

1 Like

clt would like to play buffalo in FB one day

Normm states my point very well.

Adding the hashtags, especially on twitter, brings the issue to her attention. It is being forward without being abrasive. I agree that it probably won’t, maybe even shouldn’t, be a priority over the next year. However, if it is something we are passionate about, that should not stop us from discussing it with her. If we show our passion and inform her of the issues from day 1, it could be an easier battle.

The key here is to bring it to her attention without being abrasive. I believe hashtags are a good way to do that. Especially if she gets 10% of tweets/messages with the hashtags in them. I want her to ask someone “What is with these hashtags?”

Here’s a hashtag maybe y’all can understand: #backfire

If the shcool had rebranded when atheltics did that would have taken as way further down the path.

I hope there is some tie in with the new chancellor and Hill & co with the current AD’s rebrand initiative. I wish it could coincided with each other, but at bare minimum they can at least be aligned (for future university rebrand).

Also have to understand that the new chancellor just finished interviewing with the UNC system for this position. Asking her to turn around on day 1 and start stepping on toes is probably not top priority or very smart for her. Nothing wrong with letting her know this is important to us but pressing her to take this up first thing before she has accomplished anything else in this position probably doesn’t make a lot of sense from her point of view.

2 Likes

Wasn’t Dubois hired in 2005 and football didn’t get green lighted until 2008? The name change movement will take years.

in 2006 the BoT approved the football committee. Phil moved relatively fast in getting the issue on the table. The process was just long.

I think patience but determination will both be very key in this fight.

1 Like

Could this backfire? Yes. The same was true for the football and FJR push.

There are 3 (over simplified) ways things can work out:

1. No push and the name never changes.
  2. Push and the never changes
  3. Push and the name changes.

I think most of us agree that we want 3. The name won’t change without some sort of push.

I just think getting the movement out there (since it already has a solid base) with simple hashtags (any combination of #dropunc, #charlotte, #simplycharlotte) is a very non-abrasive way to highlight the movement.

Just saying, if going over the pros and cons of each option, that is a con for doing option 1.

The problem with that is there’s never a “good” time to make a name change. There were excuses 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago, etc.

I’m not getting any younger.

2 Likes

All I hear on this issue is from this forum, a Niner athletics forum, and so the opinions come from that perspective first. But what alliances do we have outside of this forum from those who could feel the same way from an academics side?

I think a new chancellor is going to very easily brush this type of thing off if it’s just a bunch of boosters coming at her from one niche of alumni. It gets much harder if this argument is coming from a base of mixed supporters like boosters, students, and alumni as a whole.

So my question is, how does our overwhelmingly strong opinion of a name change become the base for a contingent of support that makes it too hard for a new chancellor to minimize or otherwise overlook as the priority we feel it should receive?

2 Likes

I could have sworn there was a poll maybe a year or two ago that was sent out to students and alum gauging interest in a name change. I could be wrong though.