New Chancellor

SGA had a referendum on name change last March.

There is wide spread support for this in other channels and we have some big donors and folks in key positions that support the name change.

They knew Phil wasn’t going to pick this up and we had a new leader coming so they have been waiting until time is right.

I’m fine with the casual hashtag campaign but a real legit push is going to have to wait until some of the immediate challenges of the pandemic are dealt with. The push will need to happen in concert with some of those big supporters.

5 Likes

After all the stuff on twitter last year, it’s pretty obvious to me that people who are against name change fall into three groups.

1. Old alumni who were used to calling it uncc and don’t want to see it changed.
  2. People who actually LIKE the confusion with UNC Chapel Hill
  3. People who are too stupid to even lay out support for their position or want to somehow make it another issue.
3 Likes

I think there will be a big push back from faculty who like the fact that often their work is credited as Dr. Smith UNC.

I guess he also does count as athletics, but I do know Gene Johnson is on board with a name change. At least based on tweets I saw him send out to a friend of mine.

Also people who are a) indifferent and/or b) not interested in spending time on it.

Most people probably fall into this category.

1 Like

3 days till the end of the Dubois Chancellorship.

5 Likes

tenor

1 Like

A lasting legacy, Phil will leave as the first chancellor to never see an NCAA Tournament game under their watch. The exact day he was hired was our last NCAA Tourney appearance. March 18, 2005.

Dean W. Colvard 1966- 1978 – Final Four in 1977
E. K. Fretwell 1979-1989 — NCAA 1988
James H. Woodward 1989 - 2005- – NCAA 1992, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005
Philip L. Dubois 2005-2020 — 0

So bring back Woodward?

2 Likes

I’d like to see what the Sharon Gaber- Mike Hill combo can accomplish.

9 Likes

New message on her first day…

https://chancellor.uncc.edu/messages

1 Like

She is wearing the darker shade of green and sporting the new logo.

1 Like

I would have liked to have seen a commitment to protect students’ 1st Amendment rights to free speech, but otherwise I had no issue with it.

clt wanted her to announce a replacement Belk tower

4 Likes

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/education/article247778355.html

Attended commencement yesterday at the stadium. Gaber definitely runs a tight ship on ceremonial function.

1 Like