New Football Article

If the big east then took East Carolina and UCF we would could be BCS conf. with a bowl. Charlotte would then be in the dead center of everything, putting the conference championship in Charlotte, NC.

Not getting ripped at all, actually a lot of respect although a couple of ECU fans came across the thread (Topcard on that board is an ECU student)

Most of what Topcard said was wrong, but this is true, sadly:

[QUOTE=Topcard91]I have no problem with Charlotte. The City or the School. But if anyone thinks the City follows the 49ā€™s, they have never been to Charlotte.[/QUOTE]

John Locke (Meck Deck) blog:

[URL=http://charlotte.johnlocke.org/blog/?p=1688#comments]http://charlotte.johnlocke.org/blog/?p=1688#comments[/URL]

[B][URL=http://charlotte.johnlocke.org/blog/?p=1688][U][COLOR=#606420][I]49ers to Big East?[/I][/COLOR][/U][/URL][/B]

[I][SIZE=2]Posted August 1st, 2007 at 8:31 AM by Jeff Taylor[/SIZE] [/I]
[I]Letā€™s cut to the chase.[/I]
[I]If UNCC is [/I][URL=http://www.charlotte.com/colleges/story/219386.html][U][COLOR=#0000ff][I]going to play football[/I][/COLOR][/U][/URL][I] ā€” and I think it must because its current athletics situation cannot be long sustained ā€” the institution might as well set its sights on the Big East.[/I]
[I]All of college athletics is in turmoil right now over the BCS football system and being part of a BCS league is the only way to get hooked into all the TV money. And you can bet that the Big East would love to poach the Charlotte market from the ACC in just the same way the ACC has tried to slide into Florida and steal eyeballs from the SEC.[/I]
[I]Big East basketball would also save the 49ers once-great hoops tradition from Atlantic 10 obscurity.[/I]

This guy has been very supportive of our mission.

John Locke (Meck Deck) blog:

http://charlotte.johnlocke.org/blog/?p=1688#comments

[COLOR=#606420]49ers to Big East?[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2]Posted August 1st, 2007 at 8:31 AM by Jeff Taylor[/SIZE]
Letā€™s cut to the chase.
If UNCC is [COLOR=#0000ff]going to play football[/COLOR] ā€” and I think it must because its current athletics situation cannot be long sustained ā€” the institution might as well set its sights on the Big East.
All of college athletics is in turmoil right now over the BCS football system and being part of a BCS league is the only way to get hooked into all the TV money. And you can bet that the Big East would love to poach the Charlotte market from the ACC in just the same way the ACC has tried to slide into Florida and steal eyeballs from the SEC.
Big East basketball would also save the 49ers once-great hoops tradition from Atlantic 10 obscurity.

This guy has been very supportive of our mission.

That headline is music to my ears! Iā€™m likinā€™ this Jeff Taylor guy.

[QUOTE=TegaCayCard;251520]Hope you do not mind I posted the Observer article and meeting pictures on the National Big east board. The crew over there loves this stuff and talks expansion all year long.

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=409[/QUOTE]

You just want an easy drive to see your Cards once a year in Halton and every other for football, you greedy bast***! Just kidding, hey, weā€™ll take whatever support we can get.

[QUOTE=TegaCayCard]Not getting ripped at all, actually a lot of respect although a couple of ECU fans came across the thread (Topcard on that board is an ECU student)[/QUOTE]

ECU folks are being shortsighted here. Instead of trying to put us down and saying we are ā€œmasters levelā€ they should recognize that we could help them get into the Big East by providing them a natural rival.

thank God the voice of reason fsquid chimed in

If weā€™re going to dream big, why not the SEC to add Charlotte and Louisville?

Listening to WFNZ today just to hear what folks had to say about 49er football. I figured it would be a major topic today with this article and nothing much else going on.

I didnā€™t get a chance to listen to much of MSP and I didnā€™t hear them bring it up.

Bill Rosinski was all for us shooting for D1A but was concerned with the attendance requirement.

Mac was leaning against it and compared 49er football to Charlotte getting a MLB team. He would like to see it but doesnā€™t know if the support is there. His ignorant callers of course bashed it including one Charlotte grad.

Of course Fudge was against it, but Richard Walker was saying good things about 49er football. He seems to understand the issues we have been facing recently and knows why getting football is necessary. He did say it was a gamble, but he hopes it works out.

I know folks hate WFNZ, but Iā€™m just posting this just to get a feel of what is out there.

Why was fudge against it, did he give a logical reason or was it the same ol rubish?

[QUOTE=EE9er;251653]Why was fudge against it, did he give a logical reason or was it the same ol rubish?[/QUOTE]
Of course not. He doesnā€™t deal with logic. There was also some idiot from the paper in Columbia that said it would be a waste of money, and also failed to give any reasoning. Both sounded so ignorant. I guess that appeals to the crowd they are shooting for.

[QUOTE=EE9er;251653]Why was fudge against it, did he give a logical reason or was it the same ol rubish?[/QUOTE]

Fudge is a Packer, need we say more?

In all fairness, he only pulls for winners anyway, except the Giants; and his whole show is designed to create controversy. He may actually like the idea, but he wants to stir the pot. He did ask Lutz about it a month ago.

Packer has never said anything positive about us. Neither has Observer employee David Poole. They both have the same agenda, and supporting the local team is not it. They both lie when necessary to give us a bad image.

The problem is that people (many of them not so bright) listen to that crap. That and our Page 12 write-ups of some major basketball victories (using past tense here) are 2 of the reasons we receive no respect in our own city. There are plenty of other reasons tooā€¦ like no football, Chancellor doing stupid **** with the transportation survey, etc.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;251659]Packer has never said anything positive about us. Neither has Observer employee David Poole. They both have the same agenda, and supporting the local team is not it. They both lie when necessary to give us a bad image.

The problem is that people (many of them not so bright) listen to that crap. That and our Page 12 write-ups of some major basketball victories (using past tense here) are 2 of the reasons we receive no respect in our own city. There are plenty of other reasons tooā€¦ like no football, Chancellor doing stupid **** with the transportation survey, etc.[/QUOTE]

If we had our own station like we used too (WFAE) then we could start a real sports talk FM station in Charlotte and talk about every team in the region.

No one can resist the force of the CFI. Any chancellor would of brought football.

What is funny about fudge is his position of football at charlotte has done a complete 180. When I would listen to him a few years agoā€¦and we were still in CUSA, he would always rant about the only way the niners will get the respect they feel they deserve is if they get football. That we would never be on par with the big boys until we get a team.

Nowā€¦with the movement in high gearā€¦ he has changed his position so he can still retain his ā€œanti-Charlotteā€ slant. Now getting football at Charlotte is a bad idea. The guy is a tool bag. 100 percent.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;251663]If we had our own station like we used too (WFAE) then we could start a real sports talk FM station in Charlotte and talk about every team in the region.[/QUOTE]
Man, the marketing at the school plain sucks. We really need a radio station to be able to air games on and Lutz Live and sports talk. I completely agree. I wouldnā€™t mind seeing a coaches TV show either. I got sick last season seeing Chuck Amato on TV Saturday nights. Iā€™m sitting there thinking, are we even planning on competing?! :pout:

Interesting to meā€¦ Whatā€™s his motivation besides trying to stir the pot?

Sports to sportscasters and sports reporters are their bread and butter. Itā€™s how they make a living. So, itā€™s odd to hear a ā€œsports personalityā€ (abeit a sorry one) say that [I]less[/I] sports would be betterā€¦ in any capacity.

Do you hear artists saying that we need less art? Do architects say that we should build less buildings? Bankers say they need to get less business?

So, itā€™s obvious that itā€™s only about him getting in callers for the short termā€¦ dumb ones at that. Either that or he doesnā€™t want to expand Charlotte sports and sports coverageā€¦ whichā€¦ would beā€¦ pretty dumb considering it wouldnā€™t benefit his job or show at all.

Who cares what Packer thinks? His listeners are nothing but a bunch of hicks with alliances to ACC schools, despite never attending them. So itā€™s not like we need to appeal to his audience and Iā€™d rather not have Skoal spit stains in our football stands anyway.

Packerā€™s ego leads him to believe that we need his support and Iā€™m still suprised that people here still waste their time tuning into that God-awful show. Starting at 12pm and running through 7pm, 610AM is easily the worst sports talk radio in existence.

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;251699]Interesting to meā€¦ Whatā€™s his motivation besides trying to stir the pot?

Sports to sportscasters and sports reporters are their bread and butter. Itā€™s how they make a living. So, itā€™s odd to hear a ā€œsports personalityā€ (abeit a sorry one) say that [I]less[/I] sports would be betterā€¦ in any capacity.

Do you hear artists saying that we need less art? Do architects say that we should build less buildings? Bankers say they need to get less business? [/QUOTE]
I was thinking the same thing. In fact, this thought always comes to the front of my mind when I hear him open his mouth about Charlotte. :hammer: