New swine flu

Just curious what people think about what’s going down in the news with the pig flu.

[QUOTE=NLP;404542]Just curious what people think about what’s going down in the news with the pig flu.[/QUOTE]

you found the cure yet?

Does this mean I can’t eat bacon?

you found the cure yet?

Does this mean I can’t eat bacon?

I had a bacon egg and cheese on a bagel for breakfast…

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;404544]I had a bacon egg and cheese on a bagel for breakfast…[/QUOTE]

dude, your focked :doh:

You heard it here first - Swine Flu will mutate and start turning the infected into Zombies and then we will have to test our Zombie Survival thread out.

Just curious what people think about what's going down in the news with the pig flu.
 We'll know in a few days how bad it may be. Hopefully it's not going to be the pandemic some fear. If it does reach pandemic proportions the financial crisis we have faced since last fall would have set us up for a possible financial collapse.

The current strain has not only swine but also avian and human elements which allow it to be much more easily transmitted then the H5N1 strain of bird flu we have feared for the past several years.
Curious about what a flu pandemic can do, look up the 1918 pandemic, 50,000,000 died.
Now hopefully all goes well and we sign two exceptional recruits laterr this week…

It’s interesting though… the media is trumpeting up the deaths in Mexico as being young and otherwise healthy individuals. However the mortality rate in the “industrialized” world is currently 0%. That statistic isn’t getting as much play.

It's interesting though... the media is trumpeting up the deaths in Mexico as being young and otherwise healthy individuals. However the mortality rate in the "industrialized" world is currently 0%. That statistic isn't getting as much play.

It’s currently treatable through a normal antibiotic regiment. As for the 1918 scare, they weren’t able to create vaccines as the ability exists today.

The scariest thing would be if the disease mutates into something much worse. The 1918 scare did start with view deaths on the first wave, but two mutations and two waves later, alot were left dead.

Just hope it doesn’t turn into Hoffman’s “Outbreak” where they mow you down with chopper fire and burn your body in an old lean to.

Paula Deen’s big corporate partner, NC’s Smithfield Foods, the world’s 2nd biggest pork maker, had its stock down about 12% today.
I live real close to the Neuse River. This is going to affect the level of pig poop in my water.

I think this Swine Flu sht is crazy. 41 US cases. Whooptey sht!
How many hundreds of thousands & millions die each year from cancer, aids, etc. Screw swine flu.
And now they want to shut down Mexico. Mexico turning into a drug war zone among numerous gangs, no one gives a damn, but a little coughing, we can’t have that.

Licking an autistic kid to keep from getting the flu is funny!
As far as the 1918 Spanish Flu, I heard a scientist that worked at a clinic that saved some, unfroze a batch, 90 years later, & put it in mice, & it killed them. Damn! How can a 90-year dormant thing kill you. But the Swine Flu is nothing compared to the Spanish Flu.

how many people have cigarettes killed in the last 10 minutes?

[QUOTE=ninerID;404629]how many people have cigarettes killed in the last 10 minutes?[/QUOTE]

cigarette deaths aren’t exciting. Over hyping ‘new’ diseases drives ratings for news stations. I hate the media.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;404611]I think this Swine Flu sht is crazy. 41 US cases. Whooptey sht!
How many hundreds of thousands & millions die each year from cancer, aids, etc. Screw swine flu.
And now they want to shut down Mexico. Mexico turning into a drug war zone among numerous gangs, no one gives a damn, but a little coughing, we can’t have that.[/QUOTE]

You are dead on. 100,000 soldiers in a drug cartel is a much bigger problem for them than the flu and this crap continues to spread over the border. Just ask Phoenix, the kidnapping capitol of the country.

cigarette deaths aren't exciting. Over hyping 'new' diseases drives ratings for news stations. I hate the media.
It has to do with potential. In the initial stages, a worldwide pandemic looks pretty paltry. But once it breaks out by infecting masses of people (one person infects 10, who infect 100, who infect 1000, and so on until our tamiflu supplies run out), you've got serious problems. Most people at the health agencies would like to keep it from reaching the break out stage, hence all the concern.

I also wonder if the strain reported as swine flu in the US and elsewhere is really the same one as the one in Mexico, but maybe people here were able to get treatment faster making it less dangerous. If not, the real potential for problems may come in the future whenever that strain makes its way to the rest of the world.

Either way, cable t.v. will use it as something to talk about incessantly, since they have all day to fill.

The stupidest thing I’ve heard out of this outbreak is that many Muslims and Jews are offended that it’s called “swine” flu. They want it called “Mexican” flu. I mean, of all the things to be worried/complaining about right now, that’s just ridiculous. People are losing their lives with this disease and they don’t like the name of it because they don’t eat pork. On top of that, they want to name it something that would likely offend another group of people.

[URL=http://www.startribune.com/world/43766587.html?elr=KArks:DCiUBcy7hUiacyKUUr][B][U][COLOR=Indigo]Minneapolis Star-Tribune: Swine flu should be called ‘Mexican’ to avoid offense to Jews and Muslims[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

[QUOTE=9erken;404638]It has to do with potential. In the initial stages, a worldwide pandemic looks pretty paltry. But once it breaks out by infecting masses of people (one person infects 10, who infect 100, who infect 1000, and so on until our tamiflu supplies run out), you’ve got serious problems. Most people at the health agencies would like to keep it from reaching the break out stage, hence all the concern.

I also wonder if the strain reported as swine flu in the US and elsewhere is really the same one as the one in Mexico, but maybe people here were able to get treatment faster making it less dangerous. If not, the real potential for problems may come in the future whenever that strain makes its way to the rest of the world.
[/QUOTE]

To piggyback and add to what you said, on the hourly CBS News report scientists said that the strain can transform as it spreads and become harder for the immune system to overcome. What worries them so much is age and health of the people that it is killing in Mexico. Most of the time, the flu kills the elderly and very young. In Mexico, it’s taking the lives of many healthy young and middle-aged people.

[QUOTE=X-49er;404640]The stupidest thing I’ve heard out of this outbreak is that many Muslims and Jews are offended that it’s called “swine” flu. They want it called “Mexican” flu. I mean, of all the things to be worried/complaining about right now, that’s just ridiculous. People are losing their lives with this disease and they don’t like the name of it because they don’t eat pork. On top of that, they want to name it something that would likely offend another group of people.

[URL=http://www.startribune.com/world/43766587.html?elr=KArks:DCiUBcy7hUiacyKUUr][B][U][COLOR=Indigo]Minneapolis Star-Tribune: Swine flu should be called ‘Mexican’ to avoid offense to Jews and Muslims[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL][/QUOTE]

Those freaking insensitive Muslims and Jews. How will the Mexicans feel to have a deadly virus named after them?

One of my biggest fears coming out of this is that when the “Big One” of diseases emerges, we’ll get wiped out because we’re too busy being PC about it. This might not be the right forum on NNN for it (ramblings vs. politics), but there’s a serious need for a concrete policy on dealing with emerging diseases.

It’s hard to apologize when everyone is dead.

The stupidest thing I've heard out of this outbreak is that many Muslims and Jews are offended that it's called "swine" flu. [IMG]http://www.abcwebworx.com/smilies/signs/signs105.gif[/IMG] They want it called "Mexican" flu. I mean, of all the things to be worried/complaining about right now, that's just ridiculous. People are losing their lives with this disease and they don't like the name of it because they don't eat pork. On top of that, they want to name it something that would likely offend another group of people.

[COLOR=Indigo]Minneapolis Star-Tribune: Swine flu should be called ‘Mexican’ to avoid offense to Jews and Muslims[/COLOR]

Wow. That is incredibly dumb. If it was called “I Ate Swine To Get This Flu,” I might understand, but the name doesn’t imply that at all and you have to be ignorant to think it implies that you ate swine. If anything, the name can be spun to give more credence to the belief that swine are unclean.

And then to suggest calling it “Mexican Flu?” Sheesh. Talk about being insensitive.