New swine flu

We'll know in a few days how bad it may be. Hopefully it's not going to be the pandemic some fear. If it does reach pandemic proportions the financial crisis we have faced since last fall would have set us up for a possible financial collapse. The current strain has not only swine but also avian and human elements which allow it to be much more easily transmitted then the H5N1 strain of bird flu we have feared for the past several years. Curious about what a flu pandemic can do, look up the 1918 pandemic, 50,000,000 died. Now hopefully all goes well and we sign two exceptional recruits laterr this week...

in 1918, what were sanitary standards?

in 1918, there was no TV or internet telling 5 billion people to be careful, 100 people have died.

in 1918, what kind of anti viral meds were there?

can GOD make a flu to wipe us all out? yep. But modern day communication and sanitation can help coral the damage

I think this Swine Flu sh*t is crazy. 41 US cases. Whooptey sh*t! How many hundreds of thousands & millions die each year from cancer, aids, etc. Screw swine flu. And now they want to shut down Mexico. Mexico turning into a drug war zone among numerous gangs, no one gives a damn, but a little coughing, we can't have that.

Sarcasm?? Read a little and learn about pandemics, the 1918 pandemic actually started in 1917 as an epidemic. It wasnt until the mutations occured that it became a pandemic. Again, hopefully it’s going to amount to nothing, but if it does move to pandemic stage remember the video from Mexico.

I’m putting my money on Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria for the next big pandemic. It’s only fitting that human stupidity play a big role in our own downfall.

I'm putting my money on Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria for the next big pandemic. It's only fitting that human stupidity play a big role in our own downfall.

Yeah, I have always had a problem with the way antibiotics are given out like Tylenol these days.

Yeah, I have always had a problem with the way antibiotics are given out like Tylenol these days.
and handsoap......

[QUOTE=Niner National;404630]cigarette deaths aren’t exciting. Over hyping ‘new’ diseases drives ratings for news stations. I hate the media.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

and handsoap......

I guess that depends on who you hang around…

[QUOTE=9erken;404733]and handsoap…[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Anitbacterial handsoap and the overly generous presciptions of antibioticis are two things that may eventually doom us all. The common cold may one day kill us all.

Exactly. Anitbacterial handsoap and the overly generous presciptions of antibioticis are two things that may eventually doom us all. The common cold may one day kill us all.

I always wondered if antibacterial soap used antibiotics or if it was just a marketing ploy like fat free, etc.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;404804]I always wondered if antibacterial soap used antibiotics or if it was just a marketing ploy like fat free, etc.[/QUOTE]

Triclosan is the most common anti-bacterial found in hand soaps. Not only does it affect humans from direct use, but millions of pounds of this stuff goes into water each year so it helps bacteria of all types develop immunity to it.

Seems to me that alcohol would be the best way to go for anti-bacterial soaps. Or can bacteria gain immunity to alcohol as well?

[QUOTE=Niner National;404806]Triclosan is the most common anti-bacterial found in hand soaps. Not only does it affect humans from direct use, but millions of pounds of this stuff goes into water each year so it helps bacteria of all types develop immunity to it.

Seems to me that alcohol would be the best way to go for anti-bacterial soaps. Or can bacteria gain immunity to alcohol as well?[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure if there is some form of bacteria out there that can survive in alcohol. It wouldn’t surprise me if there is though. I’ve never understood antibiotic handsoap. Regular soap kills 99.9% of germs and if you have something it doesn’t kill you need more than any antibiotic handsoap can ever give. I think antibiotic soap is merely a marketing gimmick.

Soap and hot water is win. I used to teach Bacteriology Lab to pre-nursing students and had them do that specific experiment (washing with just water, washing with cold water and soap, washing with hot water and soap, etc.).

Here’s a tin foil question though: Is it better for our pharmaceutical industry to have bacteria develop antibiotic resistence? They only have so big of a window to reap profits before their patents expire and the market gets hit with cheaper generics.

[QUOTE=NLP;404820]
Here’s a tin foil question though: Is it better for our pharmaceutical industry to have bacteria develop antibiotic resistence? They only have so big of a window to reap profits before their patents expire and the market gets hit with cheaper generics.[/QUOTE]

Not sure it’s a good idea for a company to help develop something that may kill all of it’s prospective clients.

Yes, I’m familiar with the 1918 pandemic, & I even commented on it.
If it gets worse, I’ll worry, but as for now, the violence in Mexico is 10 million times worse. Ask people in the Border towns.
I would definitely be worried if it were Antibiotic Resitant Bacteria.

Israel should fire their Health Minister. No one said Jews & Muslims were eating pigs. And why does he want to stereotype Mexicans? I thought the comments on that article were funny. I liked the “God’s Wrath On Unbelieving Gentiles” Virus joke.

Seems to me that alcohol would be the best way to go for anti-bacterial soaps. Or can bacteria gain immunity to alcohol as well?
Theoretically it could happen I think. If you use alcohol enough on bacteria, and a few of them don't die sometimes, their offspring may develop a resistance.

So does that mean a drunk eventually won’t blow .08, because he has immunity? LOL.

So does that mean a drunk eventually won't blow .08, because he has immunity? LOL.
I'll never get you people who can't wrap your head around evolution.

A drunk will always blow .08 if he has .08 BAL. He may, over the course of his life, however, grow tolerant to the effects of the alcohol so that he could handle more than an average person. Tolerance =/= evolution.

His children, could, or more like his great, great, great X a lot grandchildren could eventually develop a slight immunity to the effects of alcohol if his parents almost all were heavy drinkers. This is not tolerance, this is an evolved level of alcohol resistance.

This is not tolerance, this is an evolved level of alcohol resistance.

= Irish

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;404837]= Irish[/QUOTE]

Win!

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;404611]I think this Swine Flu sht is crazy. 41 US cases. Whooptey sht!
How many hundreds of thousands & millions die each year from cancer, aids, etc. Screw swine flu.
And now they want to shut down Mexico. Mexico turning into a drug war zone among numerous gangs, no one gives a damn, but a little coughing, we can’t have that.[/QUOTE]

Actually not a terrible point except the stat I would have used is the 36,000 people who die from the flu every year in the US. The fact is that this flu is not yet progressing as fast as it would if it were fully adapted to humans. I have heard a number of scientists and doctors say that the problem may not get terrible yet, but in 3 months or 3 years when it is more adapted to attacking humans that the real issues will occur.

I will however state that I am not an expert or even a well versed bacteriologist or viral scientist. Who knows which way this will go. Being in Texas and not too far from the border of mexico (although most of the outbreak is occurring in south mexico) gives me some fears with having an open border where people cross freely. I do think that this is an opportunity for people who support securing our borders and slowing immigration to point out that their viewpoint is not about racism, but about helping protect our country.

I hope this turns out not too be bad here now and scientists are able to create vaccines before it really starts to cause issues. It’s very scary that the people who are dying are not 15 and under or 60 and over, but 20-40 year olds…