News 14 Lutz interview

[URL=http://www.news14.com/content/sports/college/612042/sports-night–in-depth-with-bobby-lutz/Default.aspx]http://www.news14.com/content/sports/college/612042/sports-night--in-depth-with-bobby-lutz/Default.aspx[/URL]

About half of it is about his involvement with Softball (even how it landed him his first basketball coaching gig at Clemson w/ Cliff Ellis).

There’s one stretch about basketball about 2/3rds of the way through that I think will make a lot of folks happy. The interviewer asks Bobby if we are going to play run and gun now that we have depth again. Bobby responds that we are not going to rely on the outside shot as much as we have in the past. He then goes on to say that we will be looking for easy baskets [in transition/full court], but if those aren’t there, we will/must push the ball inside to our post guys, including Spears, Jones, Braswell & KJ.

So it sounds like we’re going to try to play fast when possible, but if its not there, we have a real set of low & high post guys to run a half court offense through. Bobby sounds very confident in our ability to do this. Says that we haven’t had a guy with Spears ability to score in a long time. He mentions Demarco at one point. Bobby also concedes that Spears is small, but has a knack for scoring anyway with a variety of moves. Says he has an opportunity to be all-league caliber player.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;419467] Bobby responds that we are not going to rely on the outside shot as much as we have in the past. [/QUOTE]

This statement just made me flashback to my feelings of joy after the first time I had sex.

Love it. They need some new practice footage, though…

easy baskets? inside scoring?

I’ll believe it when I see it.

the truth bro

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;419470]This statement just made me flashback to my feelings of joy after the first time I had sex.[/QUOTE]

By yourself or with someone?

No more fast break three pointers?..awww man…

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;419467] Bobby responds that we are not going to rely on the outside shot as much .[/QUOTE]

:lmao:

[QUOTE=hootie;419481]By yourself or with someone?[/QUOTE]

:ticked:

[QUOTE=ninerball49;419471]They need some new practice footage, though…[/QUOTE]

No kidding. Phaler and Transferrity?

easy baskets? inside scoring?

I’ll believe it when I see it.

It has happened in the past----when we had good inside scorers (ie; White, Johnson, etc…)

Has Lutz said whether or not the new recruits are born with rebounding skills? I’m dying to know.

[QUOTE=919R;419491]It has happened in the past----when we had good inside scorers (ie; White, Johnson, etc…)[/QUOTE]

Johnson never played for Lutz. And White, although he did score inside, played outside way too much for my liking in his one year here.

I only saw him play a few times; but I think spears is more Larry Johnson than demarco johnson or Jarvis Lang. Any comments on whom he compares to ?

I only saw him play a few times; but I think spears is more Larry Johnson than demarco johnson or Jarvis Lang. Any comments on whom he compares to ?

In the media guide from last season, the players were asked which player they think most resembles their style of play and Spears said, “Charles Barkley”. Take that for what it’s worth.

From the Boston College messageboard, their fans seemed to really appreciate him. It sounded like he relied on skills and smarts in the interior to make up for his lack of height … which could also be said of Barkley. One complaint was that he took too many short jumpers rather than drive straight towards the basket. But, again, when you’re playing in the post in the ACC and you’re the same height as Dewhurst — you’re probably going to have to make that kind of adjustment on occasion.

Great interview but why are they showing footage of Leemire and Phaler???

Johnson never played for Lutz. And White, although he did score inside, played outside way too much for my liking in his one year here.

He did for a couple years - Lutz was an assistant.

Actually I would say he seems very similar to JL.

[QUOTE=upperdeck;419484]No more fast break three pointers?..awww man…[/QUOTE]

He didn’t say that. Definitely will push it and see if the three is open, transition offense works great if you have a couple of guys who can rebound and send your 2 and 3. Problem has been ALL FIVE GUYS have had to rebound and no one is getting out on the wings.

Excellent comparison.