Next Head Coach (candidate discussion)

Call me high maintenance but I want to get to a point where 6-6 gets you fired, much less if that is your best season ever, even much less in 6 tries.

I don’t want the only full section in the stadium to be the one with the band.

6-6 just means you are bowl eligible. FYI, CUSA didn’t send all of its bowl eligible teams to bowls last season.

That’s separate from the issue of retaining Lambert. I said when Hill was hired that ADs like to bring in their own people, and that was reason enough to make a change. That said, I think it sends the wrong message about our program’s expectations to retain a coach who finishes .500 for the first time in 6 seasons. You want to tell the world you have Kansas football expectations? Then retain this coach. I think Hill has higher standards than that.

Also, I don’t think Glenn Spencer will be here next year, and IMO he, and the emergence of guys like Foggie, Deluca, and Gemmel (along with steady play of guys like Timmy Horne & Tyler Fain) are the main reasons we are .500 against a weak schedule.

2 Likes

Yep, Spencer in my mind was always a 1 year rental.

Yep, Spencer in my mind was always a 1 year rental.

Why do you think that?

In any event, these kids have worked hard and I am happy for them that they are finally able to see some success. That said, it’s hard to see another win on our schedule.

I have good insight from a friend of his that was the case.

Also neither coordinator had to see this as a long term thing.

He came in to a situation where the HC is almost assured to be fired. If we show big improvement, then he can parlay that into another P5 gig. No lose scenario for Spencer and Montgomery.

Ditto. Aim higher.

Late season attendance has already developed into a pattern for us so some temporary weather issues are no excuse.

As for our style of football being “boring” that is equally an excuse that doesn’t cut the mustard, because I see plenty of other teams fans showing up for teams that usually play 7-6 score games.

I think there are 2 factors at play.

One is the game time shift from 6pm to 2pm. At 2pm anything else you were planning to do with your Saturday is shot. I’d rather us have a consistent game time for all six games with the exception being for national broadcasts only.

Two, and related to one. Sports oriented families are deep in their kids’ fall sports at this point, which usually occur in the afternoon. We’re not going to win against Little Timmy’s baseball team playing for the regionals.

1 Like

Great post. +1

They move the game times up late in the season simply because it gets cold. But I agree with everything you just said. I missed yesterday for NA jr’s game.

The cold is a tough sell, but I like night games. Personal preference.

2 Likes

Later games would be nice. We made it to yesterday’s game but we are around an hour & a half away so a 2:00 kickoff pretty much eats up the entire day for us. Luckily our kids soccer games were canceled due to a wet field or we would have had to miss or be late yesterday. I understand the cold weather reason for earlier games but we are in North Carolina so it rarely gets uncomfortably cold in October & November.

Here’s my theory: most of our 29,000+ students and thousands of local alums just don’t give a shit. Sad. Won’t change until we start winning and being more competitive with teams people recognize/respect, etc. Me, I’m a die-hard and love and appreciate having a team now. I’ll be at every game I can get to until they put me to my final rest in a green Charlotte shirt.

1 Like

Oh, I disagree. We had cram it down their throat drives to start both halves.
Their first seven drives were 3 punts, 3 picks and a missed FG (after 1st and goal from the 7. Field goal was snapped from the 19).
They didn’t score a point until 40 minutes in to the game. We led this game for 55 minutes and had a two score lead for 38 minutes.
Our defense forced a q.v. scramble on 4 and 11, forced them into an 11 play drive while keeping their runners in bounds forcing them to burn a timeout. They only gave up 2 touchdowns (one a terrible blown coverage, but the other was a fluke.
We also had a fumble given back and touchdown taken off the board.
USM might have out played us the last 15 minutes of the game, but dominating them for the first 45 allowed us some wiggle room.

Agree with Tintin. They only racked up yards after our D was gassed. I looked at the boxscore about 5 minutes or so in the 3rd and they had 160yds passing and like 22yds rushing.

The only got yard when the backup QB entered the game.

Whatever we do I hope Lambert doesn’t get an extension after this season even if we find a way to win six games.

2 Likes

Literal “fair weather fans”?

Our four wins have come against teams with a combined 7-25 record right now. I’m glad the football team is winning a few games for the kids sake but Lambert has done nothing so far imo to save his job. We were in over our heads against UAB and App State and lost convincingly to a bad UMass team. You can blame UMass on goofy plays if you want but when your tenure is filled with them at some point it becomes goofy coaching. If you want to keep a coach that wins 30% of their games go ahead but I wouldn’t call someone expecting more as a fair weather fan.

I want to win no matter what. If that means going 6-6 (bowling) and retaining Lambert for one year, then so be it. However, I think Hill may want a fresh start (his hire) and on the flip side, I don’t think it’s fair for Lambert bc he will be forever be on the hot seat here with fans, if extended. I think if Hill gave Lambert the ultimatum of either improving this team and going bowling or else…he needs to honor his word and quite frankly deserves it for the improvement (I give credit, when credit it due). However, I personally would like a new, Hill hired coach and I don’t see us going .500. Maybe 1 more win…maybe, but even that will be tough against the remaining schedule. It really just depends on those early convos between Hill and Lambert.

1 Like