Next Head Coach (candidate discussion)

Maybeā€¦ but 3-36 ainā€™t the same as 36-44 with a playoff win.

Also, it turns out he cheats to be ā€œpretty good.ā€ A lot.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. He won 8 this season. Best wishes and prayers to them.

Iā€™ll bet you a pretty penny Larry Fedora throws his name in the hat here.

And let that name be thrown right back out. We donā€™t want that jackass.

(if you were serious)

1 Like

clt is hearing lambert to CHeat

If I were Fedora I would sit on my butt for a while and collect my buyout money. I hope we avoid him if he is interested. Would be a great offensive coordinator but donā€™t want him as a head coach. He should have opportunities as an offensive coordinator at a P5.

I imagine the hat already has all wanted names in it and has less fingers than a ninja turtle.

1 Like

When things went south last week, one name emerged. Thatā€™s Will Healy, head coach at Austin Peay. My first reaction was ā€œWHO THE HELL IS THIS GUY.ā€ So I did some research, and I really like him.

A wise man once told me that in order to succeed at football, you either have to be really good, or really different. Will Healy is the latter.

The basics: He turned around the worst program in college football. He inherited a team on a 29 game losing streak. I mean like had to practice around animal feces on the practice field bad. first season 0-11, next season went 8-5. He was 5-6 last year. I recognize that doesnā€™t look great. He is known for his recruiting. Several times had the best class in FCS as recruiting coordinator at UTC, and had the best class at APU a couple years ago. For reference, they were about 10 spots behind our program, but heā€™s at FCS Austin Peay.

Heā€™s not an offensive guru, or a defensive guru, heā€™s a people guru. He is high energy, and high character. The guy is a CEO, salesman, Dabo Type.

The first thing he did when he got to AP was change the logo. The reason was the confusion of the general public as to what (and where) in the world Austin Peay is/was. (Does this sound familiar? because it should)

Another thing he does, is he demands his kids go out and introduce themselves to anybody who is interested in the program. The reason: ā€œAustin Peay needs fans.ā€ Sound Familiar?

I listened to some of his tape about culture building from a clinic, and so many things just struck a nerve with who and what we are as a program.

• Local recruiting should always be first
  • Uniforms need to be exciting. kids can be shallow about this.
  • Jucos can really help your football team
  • Filming body language

He fund raises like a bat out of hell. When is the last time we had someone who honestly stated their dedication to fund raising?

The part that struck the biggest nerve with me was his statement in the clinic video about not being afraid to make enemies with the people who are stuck to doing things the ā€œold way,ā€ and if he feels like heā€™s making kids better, he doesnā€™t care about making people angry. My goodness what a concept.

I know if we hire this guy, some of yā€™all are gonna want to scream, but I really think heā€™s worth a shot.

4 Likes

Not sure he would leave Jacksonville State but John Grass has done impressive work there.

No offense to the guys mentioned, but if we have gone from Clemson and Bama OCs to some of the names now, that isnā€™t a great sign in how this is progressing.

4 Likes

Was there ever confirmation we talked to either one of those guys? I havenā€™t been paying that much attention but I thought it was only reported/confirmed we talked to Houston.

Weā€™ve had very little ā€œconfirmedā€ knowledge of who we have talked to. Iā€™m just going by names being thrown out there.

At Davidson I did ask Chris Fuller how it was going, this would have been just hours after thinking they had a deal with Houston. He said it was going well and that they had vetted a few candidates and that they had found some things in guys that took them out of the running. No idea who that was though.

Charlotte is a very attractive job, easy city to convince a family to move to. The problem is our conference is not. Every coach knows the stepping stone to a P5 job is the AAC. I give Mike Hill tons of credit for taking a shot, but Mike Houston knows taking a CUSA job is 2 steps away from P5. Say what you want about East Carolinaā€™s athletic dept, budget/salary, this simply came down to CUSA vs AAC.

Some of you sound disappointed/underwhelmed by the candidates but thatā€™s just the reality of being in the wrong conference. First we need to set our sights on getting to the AAC, where we are a more natural fit compared to the other schools there. Then we will get the head coach that everyone thinks we deserve now.

We have to win in CUSA if we want to move up.

2 Likes

Does the name Jeff Brohm ring any bells?

I still think Healy was a name that was thrown out there to give everyone something to talk about while Hill negotiates with his top target. If so, itā€™s working.

Iā€™m completely fine with this.

clt says a mystery candidate has emerged

Brohm just received a contract extension to the tune of $3.8M annually. I donā€™t think heā€™s coming here.

I think CoastalNiner was saying that Brohm moved from CUSA to a power 5 program. Some posters donā€™t seem to think thatā€™s possible in CUSA.

1 Like