Next Head Coach (candidate discussion)

Greg Schiano is an assistant at Ohio State. He was successful at Rutgers before not winning at Tampa Bay in the NFL. He was going to be hired at Tennessee before some fans erupted online and made the AD rescind the offer. He was not accused of cheating or overworking his players.

One advantage he has is that he has some assistants who coached with him a long time at Rutgers. Some of them might be willing to reenlist with him given he would have a 5-6 year deal at Charlotte. Thatā€™s an eternity for a college assistant coach. Convincing your spouse and kids to come to Charlotte is not hard.

If weā€™re good enough that our next coach can justify smack talk to a heisman candidate he can curse out the queen of England for all I care.

2 Likes

When do players stop being kids? Once they graduate college?

Snowflakes melt at 32 degrees so Iā€™m going with 32.

1 Like

To their parents, they never stop being kids.

Also with the Iron Bowl coming up you would think he would be a little more focused on the task at hand instead of comparing Bama and Washington St. while seeming to denigrate one of their players. Not a huge deal but shows a little lack of maturity. Iā€™m sure Saban had a nice talk with him about what is important.

Iā€™d still be ecstatic if we got him.

Saban told him to make sure he has a nice cover letter.

Kerwin Bellā€™s Valdosta State team just won 66to16 in 2nd round of playoffs! Still undefeated! 66 points! Been averaging 52 per game! The guy can coach, build a program and recruit the south!

Dude. Weā€™re NOT hiring a DIVISION TWO coach.

2 Likes

Couldnā€™t have had a better finale to help us hire a stud for next coach.

2 Likes

Yup, this year had us trending upward

3 Likes

Will we name a new coach this week? I think Hill already has his candidate so hopefully he can get him on board so we can get some recruits lined up

1 Like

Announcing this week means that none of the teams in conference championship games have coaches in contention for the job. The earliest I think would be next week if we are to land a top flight P5 coordinator. Otherwise, it could be this week.

Was there a better scenario to play out than the last year? Iā€™m a huge Hillbot but was critical he didnā€™t clean house sooner.

A year ago we had Judy Rose, Mark price and 1-11 Brad Lambert.

We now have mike hill, Ron Sanchez, and hill marketing a 5-7 team to a coach worthy of close to a million dollars a year.

This played out as the absolute best case scenario. Only my impatience was impacted.

1 Like

Buffalo hired a D3 coach. They are now 10-2.

1 Like

and was 13-23 this time last year.

Hal Wissel won a D2 championship. I think. His D2 resume was spectacular.

I still think Blake Anderson should be considered.

1 Like

His wife was diagnosed with cancer this week sadly. I donā€™t believe heā€™s in the market.

How about Hue Jackson? He has been successful at multiple levels just not as head coach of the Browns. Before you say he sucks I know another coach who didnā€™t make it in Cleveland that turned out pretty good.